Class 800 - Updates

I am of the opinion that for any problem there is an optimal solution that is the best compromise that the laws of physics will allow. Once you have that solution then it is going to be extremely difficult to improve upon it no matter how hard you try. The HST is one good example of that. The original mini is another.

• Like 2

I am of the opinion that for any problem there is an optimal solution that is the best compromise that the laws of physics will allow. Once you have that solution then it is going to be extremely difficult to improve upon it no matter how hard you try. The HST is one good example of that. The original mini is another.

Totally agree, but then you need to understand that there are laws of physics that control what is possible.

• Like 1

More interesting was the less than sparkling running, with a clear road, east of Didcot where there was a boost from the overhead. Passing Didcot on time to 10 seconds early into Reading with a downhill run was not exactly sparkling while the performance downhill east of Steventon was slower overall than the HST going uphill this morning! (the HST gained 4 minutes on P-P times in a similar distance over which the Class 800 gained only half a minute).

It was on time and maintained that. I'm not sure that's grounds for criticism - only people in the cab will know if the driver was giving it everything.
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

It was on time and maintained that. I'm not sure that's grounds for criticism - only people in the cab will know if the driver was giving it everything.

The noise it was making (not massive I'll grant you) and the way it was going made it pretty clear to me that the Driver was having a go, in fact he would have lost time if he hadn't.  So it was what I would call 'hard running' (and that does not relate, entirely, to the ride). If it has been a similarly hard driven HST - as my experience yesterday showed - it would have made up minutes, but it didn't.

• RMweb Gold

On another topic, I saw this picture on the Railway Herald website of a class 800 easing into Worcester Shrub Hill past a fine gantry of GWR semaphores.  Somewhat incongruous I thought, and it seems full-scale modernisation has some way to go yet ...

http://www.railwayherald.co.uk/imagingcentre/view/499834/TW

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

On another topic, I saw this picture on the Railway Herald website of a class 800 easing into Worcester Shrub Hill past a fine gantry of GWR semaphores.  Somewhat incongruous I thought, and it seems full-scale modernisation has some way to go yet ...

Well, given that we have a railway where trains come straight off ERTMS onto semaphore signals, I'd say yes.

• Like 2

Well, given that we have a railway where trains come straight off ERTMS onto semaphore signals, I'd say yes.

ERTMS is NOT fitted to any UK railways, ETCS is fitted to the Cambrian, but ETCS is not fitted anywhere on Western just yet, with only the Heathrow to Paddington being fitted in the next few years.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

ERTMS is NOT fitted to any UK railways, ETCS is fitted to the Cambrian, but ETCS is not fitted anywhere on Western just yet, with only the Heathrow to Paddington being fitted in the next few years.

Interesting. It was of course the Cambrian I was referring to.

There is a lot of information on the web describing the current system on the Cambrian as ERTMS, including documents by ASLEF and Arriva Trains Wales (who of course run the trains on that route).

If it's a mis-nomer it's a widespread one.

Interesting. It was of course the Cambrian I was referring to.

There is a lot of information on the web describing the current system on the Cambrian as ERTMS, including documents by ASLEF and Arriva Trains Wales (who of course run the trains on that route).

If it's a mis-nomer it's a widespread one.

It is a very widespread mis-nomer, even those in the IRSE get it wrong! ERTMS refers to the whole system of GSM-R + ETCS + Rail Management Software in the control centre. Without this rail traffic management software, a line can't be said to be fitted with ERTMS, even if it has GSM-R and ETCS working. Network Rail has only just installed such software at Didcot, although ETCS isn't fully working yet.

Simon

And Romford ROC?

It is a very widespread mis-nomer, even those in the IRSE get it wrong! ERTMS refers to the whole system of GSM-R + ETCS + Rail Management Software in the control centre. Without this rail traffic management software, a line can't be said to be fitted with ERTMS, even if it has GSM-R and ETCS working. Network Rail has only just installed such software at Didcot, although ETCS isn't fully working yet.

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Usually speed and acceleration is a function of power, add plenty of power and make it slippery in the aerodynamic department and it'll go fast. Add lightness for acceleration. Boost the turbo-pressure and add bigger coolers to crank that engine power up......

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A thing of great beauty.

The semaphores, that is.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Simon

Oh dear - best tell RSSB and NR because that means the Rule Book is wrong ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A Gwr green 5 car IET has just passed through Peterborough station heading south.

Didn’t see what number

Reported on another forum as 800028.

I am hearing rumours that the power handle on the 802s is going to be labelled ON and OFF and not bother with any intermediate notches because they are superfluous.  :sarcastic:   

GWR - Goes Where Required

Or 'Great Way Round'.

800008 was on the Cotswold line yesterday, though another diagram which I expected to be 800 operated turned out to be a HST, so it looks as though they're interchangeable with HSTs to some extent at the moment.  1P29 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington was operated by 43187 and 43174; it was 800006 on Friday.

• RMweb Gold

Test running of IETs into Leeds commenced on 23rd January 2018, with a second run on 24th January.

Here is GWR liveried 800003 Queen Victoria leading sister 800004 Isambard Kingdom Brunel into Leeds with 5X61, 14.55 Doncaster IEP Depot to Leeds on 24th January.

post-414-0-75588400-1516824525.jpg

post-414-0-87357800-1516824544.jpg

Both sets later departed as 5X62, 15.54 Leeds to London Kings Cross.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

I am hearing rumours that the power handle on the 802s is going to be labelled ON and OFF and not bother with any intermediate notches because they are superfluous.  :sarcastic:

Funnily enough that'd match some analysis of engine load profiles I've seen for locomotive engines.

Which is of course exactly the same binary driving that caused the radiator issues with the HSTs in the mid-80s, with coolant top-ups required en route in high summer. What goes around, comes around.

Test running of IETs into Leeds commenced on 23rd January 2018, with a second run on 24th January.

Here is GWR liveried 800003 Queen Victoria leading sister 800004 Isambard Kingdom Brunel into Leeds with 5X61, 14.55 Doncaster IEP Depot to Leeds on 24th January.

attachicon.gif800003 Leeds 24012018 - DSCF1696 RMWeb.jpg

attachicon.gif800003 Leeds 24012018 - DSCF1701 RMWeb.jpg

Both sets later departed as 5X62, 15.54 Leeds to London Kings Cross.

That's a kind of reminder of the days when the Western Region's named 47s sometimes ended up a long way from home !

• Like 3