Class 800 - Updates

12 hours ago, Richard E said:

Not when I saw the Hull Trains driver training set in Peterborough, it was a FGW set short formed (5+2), 43010 leading and 43190 on the back. That was on 4/3/19 at 15:30.

IMG_0148.JPG.e063d32d37260227f7c425896f7c2ae0.JPG

That's the set that is being used regularly at the moment. ROG take it from Bristol to Hull on a Thursday and bring it back on a Tuesday for servicing/maintenance.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I know this must be OCD but I carry a bottle of gel for hand cleanse as I see just how filthy some people are that never wash their hands (more so men I am sorry to say (as obviously their ##### are always totally sterile) after their 'business visits' in (say) Public bogs or Changing Rooms at the Gym/Pool and handling anything these days is just revolting. I just hope the train catering staff are diligent? Apologies but public transport is dirty of course but new trains like this should not be so poorly fitted out. Let's face it, the Japanese are supposed to be absolutely obsessed with not having germs! 

Apologies, I shall now go and read my Howard Hughes Biography (with gloves on) 

Link to my condition?

http://www.verywellmind.com/being-a-germaphobe-can-be-an-ocd-symptom-2510487

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I know this must be OCD but I carry a bottle of gel for hand cleanse as I see just how filthy some people are that never wash their hands (more so men I am sorry to say (as obviously their ##### are always totally sterile) after their 'business visits' in (say) Public bogs or Changing Rooms at the Gym/Pool and handling anything these days is just revolting. I just hope the train catering staff are diligent? Apologies but public transport is dirty of course but new trains like this should not be so poorly fitted out. Let's face it, the Japanese are supposed to be absolutely obsessed with not having germs! 

Apologies, I shall now go and read my Howard Hughes Biography (with gloves on) 

Link to my condition?

http://www.verywellmind.com/being-a-germaphobe-can-be-an-ocd-symptom-2510487

If you saw what I once saw several members of a party of Japanese doing on a Eurostar in terms of their 'after toilet' habit and where they disposed of used toilet paper I strongly suspect that some of them have no qualms at all about spreading germs.  as far as hand cleanliness is concerned I tend to agree with your views about hand cleanser. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

If you saw what I once saw several members of a party of Japanese doing on a Eurostar in terms of their 'after toilet' habit and where they disposed of used toilet paper I strongly suspect that some of them have no qualms at all about spreading germs.  as far as hand cleanliness is concerned I tend to agree with your views about hand cleanser. 

Its worth bearing in mind that in some places (Malta was one I think) you are specifically NOT to put used toilet paper down the toilet - and place it in a designated waste bin as the sewage infrastructure (waste pipe sizes and sewage plants themselves) are not geared up to handle it.

Unless the waste infrastructure is suitably sized, toilet paper can create just as much of a blockage as wet wipes  do in the UK!

Even in the UK there are certain situations where it is necessary to provide macerator toilets to grind up the paper etc so small bore waste pipes can be used - typically basement toilets where the sewage has to be pumped upwards to reach the sewer network or as with the restored St Pancras hotel / apartments you need to start drilling through solid concrete walls / floors (none of the bedrooms were equipped with en-suite facilities when it was built) to take the waste away.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Its worth bearing in mind that in some places (Malta was one I think) you are specifically NOT to put used toilet paper down the toilet - and place it in a designated waste bin as the sewage infrastructure (waste pipe sizes and sewage plants themselves) are not geared up to handle it.

Greece and El Salvador to my knowledge.  At least in HST's you aren't actually looking at the ballast speeding by when using the toilet like you do in French Coral stock.   The content of this thread really has gone down the pan.

Hat and coat on.

Jamie

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Greece and El Salvador to my knowledge.  At least in HST's you aren't actually looking at the ballast speeding by when using the toilet like you do in French Coral stock.   The content of this thread really has gone down the pan.

Hat and coat on.

Jamie

Better be clear about which 'Pan' needs to be engaged when these things are having to change their power source...……...gone already.

P

• Funny 2

18 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

The EMT set is, I think, doing DT on the Hull Peterborough section for Hull Trains at the moment. Is it the same set you are talking about?

P

The set I'm talking about is NL65, an EMT 2+8 set on long term loan to LNER. The trailers are even in LNER colours, though the VP185 power cars remain in EMT livery.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Unless the waste infrastructure is suitably sized, toilet paper can create just as much of a blockage as wet wipes  do in the UK!

Even in the UK there are certain situations where it is necessary to provide macerator toilets to grind up the paper etc so small bore waste pipes can be used - typically basement toilets where the sewage has to be pumped upwards to reach the sewer network or as with the restored St Pancras hotel / apartments you need to start drilling through solid concrete walls / floors (none of the bedrooms were equipped with en-suite facilities when it was built) to take the waste away.

I reckon 'designated waste bins' would be rather different from the waste bins in passenger areas and vestibules (but I might be wrong)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I reckon 'designated waste bins' would be rather different from the waste bins in passenger areas and vestibules (but I might be wrong)

They certainly would be - and located in the toilet itself for starters....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Judging by the number of dirty bustards I see using station (gents) lavatories and not washing their hands afterwards, toilet paper blockages should not be an issue in the UK.

No germs on their drainage cocks then?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The 800 unit we are currently on from Worcester has a blocked toilet but that is probably due to it running out of water as none in the wash basin either. Luckily being used to this on modern UK trains we carry a bottle of hand sanitiser with us.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, caradoc said:

Judging by the number of dirty bustards I see using station (gents) lavatories and not washing their hands afterwards, toilet paper blockages should not be an issue in the UK.

And then I have to use the same door handle to get out of the toilet.

People are awful.

Edited by Zomboid

11 minutes ago, caradoc said:

I've just realised my statement above doesn't really make sense ! The unhygienic do still (presumably) use toilet paper but at least they then save on water consumption.

58 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

The joys of a publicly owned company, anyone can put in an FOI. I assume you are the original person who requested this information?

Seen here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/seating_plans_for_the_new_800_an 

Quite a lot of LNER FOI requests, who shall be the first to ask for all planned diagrams? 

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/body/lner

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, 159220 said:

The joys of a publicly owned company, anyone can put in an FOI. I assume you are the original person who requested this information?

Seen here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/seating_plans_for_the_new_800_an 

Quite a lot of LNER FOI requests, who shall be the first to ask for all planned diagrams? 

No actually, I found it via Google!

• Funny 1

19 minutes ago, 159220 said:

I'd like to thank you for that second link actually; upon having a look through I've managed to find the official set diagrams - very useful. 

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, 159220 said:

I must be old and weird as I would never have even thought about contacting LNER (or anyone else for that matter) using FOI, for information.

Seemingly I must get updated and find my telephone and remember how to dial it along with some other stuff!

P

If you look on the LNER site I think that there was a vacancy that would be train diagramming.  

Minor correction to that

Your Application for Fleet Planning Manager

Which I have applied for.

Now is that a dream job to allocate specific motive power that you want on services that you can get to travel on!

In the days of the Deltics there used to be quite a few trains operating from York to London, with the problems with signalling  north of York just wonder if LNER will put in 800/801 trains doing York London.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1