NHY 581

I couldn't believe it when we first visited daughter & family in Hampshire that they've never heard of rissoles. How can you have chip shops that don't sell rissoles? Madness. And our local chippies must be amongst the most sophisticated in the Kingdom, with two types of curry sauce (chip shop & Chinese), gravy, mushy peas and chip baps all readily available. And rissoles of course, mustn't forget the rissoles....

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I couldn't believe it when we first visited daughter & family in Hampshire that they've never heard of rissoles. How can you have chip shops that don't sell rissoles? Madness. And our local chippies must be amongst the most sophisticated in the Kingdom, with two types of curry sauce (chip shop & Chinese), gravy, mushy peas and chip baps all readily available. And rissoles of course, mustn't forget the rissoles....

Keith

It's very sad when a chip shop can't decide which part of the country it belongs to.

And don't even go to the whole nightmare that's adding mint sauce to mushy peas...

• RMweb Gold

First chippy where I encountered the 'would you like curry sauce on your chips?' (translation) was in Yorkshire - the idea of such adulteration only arrived locally in the past few years.  However I suspect we are one of the very few towns in the mid Thames Valley area 9or maybe even the only town) where one of the chippys has deep fried Mars bars on its menu - and I don't think the lady behind the counter is called Marianne but she is probably faithful.

• RMweb Premium

The Grim Industrial North. Taken as read.

https://flic.kr/p/Hp9gyi

Surely the important fact is East is East and West is West. Bob Hope said it, Roy Rodgers along with Jane Russell and those bl**dy Thompson Twins did the same. Rudyard Kipling (Does he still make Bakewell Tarts?) even wrote a poem about it.

Talk about stating the obvious!

Just waiting for someone to come along and say, "It's dependant on what part of the great circle you're standing on".

Was Beckton Gas works N, S, E or W?

It's dependent on what part of the great circle you're standing on.

• RMweb Premium

Keith

I won't tell the joke about the fellow who left his glasses at home so couldn't see whether the word on the menu that ended "...issoles" began with an R or a P.

• RMweb Premium

Are we allowed to mention the rugby ;) ?

I think you just did, but having watched it I don't think I would bother personally. Neither side could string any passes together, neither side managed catch the ball regularly, neither side understood the laws (or if they did they didn't bother complying with them), neither side seemed to be able to tackle properly. The second match was quite different.

• RMweb Gold

H

I think you just did, but having watched it I don't think I would bother personally. Neither side could string any passes together, neither side managed catch the ball regularly, neither side understood the laws (or if they did they didn't bother complying with them), neither side seemed to be able to tackle properly. The second match was quite different.

However scrappy it was it was still a win for Wales, not what I for one expected after the Autumn internationals.

Big test is next week and to be honest, the only match that matters. The biggest match of any six nations tournament.

Rob.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

A view from Sheep Lane this morning. A test shot under the new lighting rig.

post-14122-0-24784400-1517739760_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Norman paid a long overdue return visit to Sheep Lane this morning. An early start saw Murray trundling along the Somerset lanes in the finest of styles. Norman noticed a slight poppingfrom Murrays exhaust on the over run and decided he must investigate a possible air leak.

On arrival he found stalwart 43474 worrying a few vans. He took the opportunity to take a few images of the wagons as well as the 3F itself.

Driver Jack Hawkins was ably assisted this morning by fireman Donald Sinden and guard Jack Warner who was none too pleased about the state of his ex-Midland brake guard and grumbled accordingly.

Norman,however,was pleased to see his old friends and thoroughly enjoyed his bacon sandwich and cup of tea with the chaps and even Jack had to agree that the was nothing better on a fresh morning such as this.

43474 seemed quite content as she bubbled away, wafting the smells of hot oil, coal,smoke and steam about the place.

All seemed right.

Rob.

post-14122-0-45185900-1517751738_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-57937200-1517751763_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-51653400-1517751791_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-97034000-1517751835_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-39245200-1517751857_thumb.jpg

• Like 14