Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Expectations dear Rob - what you think people will see and what they actually see with Bleat or Mutton will not tally - I am sure everyone will be very pleased with what they see when you exhibit Bleat and will not even give a thought to anything you think is missing or short of the standard you yourself aspire to.

My wife suffers terribly with this, she basically wrote herself off in a video exam the other week and then got her results - an outstanding pass full of praise with very little development needs. 

Being highly critical of oneself is both a blessing and a curse.

• Like 3

Hi, the leds are in strips courtesy of Herr LIDL. The front of the layout is lit by two strips of LED which are 'warm white'. These are about four inches ahead of the front edge of the baseboard to prevent the front of the layout being in shadow. Another row of LEDs sit roughly in the middle. These are 'cool white'.

I think this, combined with the fact that the backscene is plain lilac coloured card, produces the lighting effect..

Hi CK.

Modelling has been  confined to Mutton ahead of the Cardiff show at the end of last month. Since then, work has taken over with six day weeks for five out of the next six weeks......

I am therefore not confident about Bleat being ready for the small Cardiff show in January. I shall of course have a go but time is not on my side. If I am to show Bleat then I have to be happy with it.

Not seen Jonners but no doubt looking good.

Rob.

Thanks Rob - I think I need to look at bringing the fascia forward to eliminate the shadow at the front. Much appreciated. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rob - I think I need to look at bringing the fascia forward to eliminate the shadow at the front. Much appreciated.

It works. Sheep Lane was initially built without this consideration. A revision to the fascia which now projects some three inches eliminated the shadows.

I would say it needs to project more than this to be sure and Mutton is a tad more forward.

Bleat will follow Mutton in this respect.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nowt wrong with a bit of wagon worrying; they can't touch you for it you know!  The wagons complain, but they like it, really, so long as you are not too rough with them...

Does that also apply to Express Dairies Tank Wagons?

P

• RMweb Gold

After considerable thought, I have decided to stop work on Bleat. There are a number of reasons for this but Bleat will not be continued with.

If anyone were to be interested I may well consider selling it as is but if there are no takers then I will simply salvage what I can......if anything.

Let me know if interested.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Extremely sorry to hear this, Rob. Very sorry indeed.

So will you be taking one of the other layouts to the show in Cardiff in January?

I will have a chat with the organisers, CK and will probably take Sheep Lane.

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

My dear old Mum would have been 98 today. No plans other than to pay a vist and lay a few red roses.

Her Dad fought in the Great War and came home. He did pass away quite young and as a result, I never knew my Grandfather. Mum alway maintained that the mustard gas he received played a part in it all.

Rob.

post-14122-0-54330100-1541923750.jpg

Edited by NHY 581

• RMweb Gold

Take care Rob.

Steve.

I'm not going anywhere, Steve.

You lot are stuck with Norman, Ivor as well as myself. Just not carrying on with Bleat Wharf.

Rob.

post-14122-0-86863300-1541935551.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

After considerable thought, I have decided to stop work on Bleat. There are a number of reasons for this but Bleat will not be continued with.

If anyone were to be interested I may well consider selling it as is but if there are no takers then I will simply salvage what I can......if anything.

Let me know if interested.

Rob.

Hi Rob can you PM me the asking price and an overall photo of the layout and a list of what's included my Buddy Steve might be interested he's just started into Model railways 

having retired several months ago.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Indeed CK.

In my eyes they are quite superior to the Oxford offering. They appear more fine on the eye.

In fact I would say Hornby have done a fine job on the EX-L&SWR subjects to date..The 700 is a nice model but I am very fond of the Re-built Maunsell coaches.

Rob.

• Like 1

Indeed CK.

In my eyes they are quite superior to the Oxford offering. They appear more fine on the eye.

In fact I would say Hornby have done a fine job on the EX-L&SWR subjects to date..The 700 is a nice model but I am very fond of the Re-built Maunsell coaches.

Rob.

I was saddened when Hornby never released an Olive green version, ended up with an Oxford. But it actually runs very nice as long as the track is flat luckily mine is, very good slow runner

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

In the wake of Bleat being cancelled, I am doing a bit here and there.

Latest addition to the wagon fleet are a couple of 16T mineral wagons. They are seen here at Mutton as 30583 arrives with an afternoon passenger service

Rob.

Another view.

post-14122-0-04154900-1543163167_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-60811600-1543163743_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Stunning, mate.

Brilliant weathering.

Many thanks CK.

I am still finding my feet regards weathering ( well, most things really..). These were orginally bought professionally weathered but I never used them as I felt the weathering was not actually what I wanted and was at odds with my own efforts on my other stock.Nearly all of the existing weathering was therefore removed (Some hard to get at bits had to stay). I then did my own take on what I hope has resulted in a better finish. Certainly it is much more what I felt to be the look that I had sought in the first place but having never weathered stock I had to buy it as was.

I find steel wagons quite challenging but I have enjoyed redoing this pair.They add some variety and it's a start.

Rob

post-14122-0-31450200-1543187639_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-96878400-1543187682_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, Rob, a comment that you are 'finding your feet' with weathering will simply not wash; you are an adept and a passed master of the art.  

I have several Bachmann 16ton minerals in the factory weathered finish, 5 altogether which are 2 with separate numbers and 3 from a set with further separate numbers.  They are excellent products if you ignore the complete lack of interior detail, not an issue with loaded wagons, but I have embellished them with an overlay of matt black weathering as I believe this is appropriate for wagons which spent a good bit of their lives around collieries and various types of mechanical unloading apparatus.  Factory weathering is, IMHO, rather focussed on brake block dust colour, and there are other factors at work here!

The weathering looks great Rob, did you use your method of powders, the rust patches look spot on. There is also an article in this months Model Rail Journal about rusted steel wagons, have you seen that?

Steve.

I agree with CK, BGman and The Johnster.  At the risk of infuriating my old friend 9793, who plans to do some weathering professionally and on past form will be much in demand when he does, I feel that the proliferation of commercial weatherers is a step too far.  It is one more thing which takes away from the modeller the satisfaction of having done the job himself.  Rob, I hope you will be at the Cardiff Small Show in some capacity so that we can admire your work and skill for ourselves.

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello Norman,

Well, you've certainly outshone yourself with the colour / weathering pallet with this, it gets better and better !

G

Thank you Grahame. It was done as an experiment. To see if the existing job could be improved upon. The old finish looked a bit of a mess really hence it's replacement.

Sorry, Rob, a comment that you are 'finding your feet' with weathering will simply not wash; you are an adept and a passed master of the art.

I have several Bachmann 16ton minerals in the factory weathered finish, 5 altogether which are 2 with separate numbers and 3 from a set with further separate numbers. They are excellent products if you ignore the complete lack of interior detail, not an issue with loaded wagons, but I have embellished them with an overlay of matt black weathering as I believe this is appropriate for wagons which spent a good bit of their lives around collieries and various types of mechanical unloading apparatus. Factory weathering is, IMHO, rather focussed on brake block dust colour, and there are other factors at work here!

Thanks Jonners. Your observations regarding factory weathering jobs are spot on and they can always be improved upon with individual touches here and there.

The weathering looks great Rob, did you use your method of powders, the rust patches look spot on. There is also an article in this months Model Rail Journal about rusted steel wagons, have you seen that?

Steve.

Thanks Steve. Yes, powders were used, sealed then removed using a fibre brush ( much care needed !). The rust uses iron oxide and rust powders, toned down with a bit of smoke and blob of dark earth. I have MRJ but left it in work so I haven't read the article yet. I will get it today, if I remember it!!!!

I agree with CK, BGman and The Johnster. At the risk of infuriating my old friend 9793, who plans to do some weathering professionally and on past form will be much in demand when he does, I feel that the proliferation of commercial weatherers is a step too far. It is one more thing which takes away from the modeller the satisfaction of having done the job himself. Rob, I hope you will be at the Cardiff Small Show in some capacity so that we can admire your work and skill for ourselves.

Chris

Morning Chris and thank you. I think there is a place for professional weathering but I have seen some real horrors. As stated, I wasn't happy with the finish on these and stripped and re-did it myself. Given the size of my layouts, knocking out a couple of wagons here and there is quite relaxing. However, if I were to have 30 assorted minerals to do for a coal train I might have a different outlook.

It takes me, on average, an hour or two on each wagon. Coaches are about three or four and locos a lot longer. I tend to go so far then leave for a few days and then look at it with a fresh pair of eyes to avoid overdoing it.

Regarding the Small Cardiff show, yes I will be there. Sheep Lane will be presented and in due course I will be documenting a few tweaks to it hereon.

I will of course be waffling on as usual and getting sidetracked throughout the day.

Rob.

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 6