NHY 581

Rob - in response to your fondness for Midland + Bristol + S&D - look out for the Bristol (Thornbury) exhibition next May. All being well

a guy whos name I forget, is hopefull of exhibiting his model of Mangotsfield. Pics are available on Flikr under his moniker - Modelgeek.

Should be well worth a look.

Mangotsfield was where I was introduced to spotting as a 4yr old. (And blackberries - Mmmm).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Tony,

Probably will get to the Bristol show.

I am also hoping to take Mutton to the Yate and Nailsea shows next year though have yet to receive confirmation from the organisers.

Rob..

• Like 1

Hi Tony,

Probably will get to the Bristol show.

I am also hoping to take Mutton to the Yate and Nailsea shows next year though have yet to receive confirmation from the organisers.

Rob..

I know one of the Yate crew, so I'll put in a word if/when I see him.

I'm feeling tattyfilarious !

I'm eating Tatties for supper. 

With lashings of lovely butter

but Tatty complained

butter usage; more restraint

As she'd have happily have let three of us............f...aff off into the kitchen and prepare another boiling of spuds.

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium

Crumpets (I think they're called pikelets oop north), with plenty butter and more Collier's Powerful Welsh Cheddar than it good for me.

Nomnoms.

Snowdonia Cheese Company cheddar - I needn't say any more.

Does nobody eat Cheddar from Cheddar anymore?

We can get Cathedral City at my local supermarket, but what Cathedral City is it?

Does nobody eat Cheddar from Cheddar anymore?

We can get Cathedral City at my local supermarket, but what Cathedral City is it?

It was originally made by Mendip Foods whose head office was in WELLS, Somerset.  The brand now belongs to Dairy Crest and it's made in Davidstow in North Cornwall.

Chris KT

Wow. Mastermind answer from subject book of Modern Cheeses.

I always find Cathedral City a dry cheese with a chalky dry texture. Now that I am armed with the information that its origin is in wells; I'd have thought it to be a rather moist affair perhaps with the foisy aroma of a riverside cellar.

M. Oldy

• RMweb Gold

Nobody makes Caerphilly cheese in Caerphilly either.

Collier's is my go to, but if not available I'll make do with McClelland's or Catherdral City/Davidstow (can't tell the difference and there probably isn't any except for the packaging). 

There is no aspect of human existence that cannot be improved with cheese.  This is one of those statements that becomes more true the more you think about it...

Morning Steve.

Splendid idea and a distraction technique I employ myself. I would recommend any visit is preceded by extensive research on the website as IKEA stock a number of items suitable for railway modelling. However, care must be taken so as not to alert the Memsahib to any potential hi jacking of the visit.

During the visit, I would advocate a a consistant level of interest is maintained throughout and avoid becoming overly excited when encountering items of note.

In summary;

Yes, the shelves are LACK floating shelves various lengths but all at 26cm width.

The scenic boards all utilise a 120cm x 40cm table top from a LACK ' nest of tables' in grey.

It comes with a second table 55cm x 40cm, another potential baseboard......

All are 5cm deep.

The beauty of these are the lightness and the cost. The main board and two fiddle yards came in at £42 plus another £9 for the MDF for the backscene.

Bleat Wharf was £31 for the baseboards and Sheep Lane used two shelves costing £18 in total.

The draw back is the fact they are solid on the bottom. Wiring can be threaded through holes drilled in the back and I am guessing points could be moved by wire in tube subject to the height of the trackbed.

The bonus of having a solid bottom to the board is that of tidyness and the ease in which a small layout such as these can be set up on, say, a dining table for playing with.......operating sessions.

Interally, they are a type of card board 'honeycomb' which provides the lightweight construction but maintains rigidity.

I have not tampered with this as it is this that provides the structure. Any fitting of point motors underneath would require a hole in the bottom and material removing. In theory if the resulting hole was boxed in, this may retain the rigidity. However I have not tried this so cannot vouch for the effectiveness or otherwise. In any event a route would have to be found for any wiring which could be tricky to route.

Any point motors fitted as such would need blocks added beneath to mount them on and they could not be more than 5cm deep as they would stick out.......

Hope this helps.

Rob.

I've been to Ikea and got a Lack TV stand pretty cheap, it's a bit small but hopefully in the near future will house a micro inglenook. Must admit I was impressed with the shelves, they seem pretty solid.

Steve.

• Like 1