Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think his was an Aveling, that's a Garratt, but I have been wrong, lots of times.

Yes - about the traction engines.  Fred had an Aveling & Porter steam tractor and - as you say - that is clearly a Garrett steam Tractor.    Best one that ever held me up - only for a little while was a steam roller with a Shay type engine.

18 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes - about the traction engines.  Fred had an Aveling & Porter steam tractor and - as you say - that is clearly a Garrett steam Tractor.    Best one that ever held me up - only for a little while was a steam roller with a Shay type engine.

That sounds like it could well have been a Buffalo Springfield Roller, there are a few in the UK.

buffalo-springfield-roller.jpg.361a5917194872805bb3c43483505f1f.jpg

Image: the best music you never heard of 

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Nick C said:

Tractors and Caravans are one thing - at least they have a purpose. The real bane round here is horseboxes - driven by people who normally drive a Range Rover, and have no clue how to drive something much bigger. They also usually have zero courtesy for anyone else, so you can be stuck behind them for long distances as they'll never pull over...

Last Sunday, I followed a really big one (a 30' Scania), presumably empty, and had to work at keeping up with it on a B-road before it turned into its home lane! 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I remember coming back from a 1970s Seaton Motor Club weekend at Sandy Balls with my brother in his Farina estate.

His caravan was something of an antique (Shock absorbers? What are they?) and it got into what bikers would describe as "a bit of a tank-slapper", only escaped from by thrashing the old Oxford to within an inch of its life, then very gently slowing down. 

Fortunately, there was a hefty bit of downhill just where we needed it! 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think his was an Aveling, that's a Garratt, but I have been wrong, lots of times.

You are quite Correct it is a Garrett as you point out Fred's was / is an Aveling and Porter interestingly his was ex Devon County Council I think

• Informative/Useful 1

I had a similar experience towing a car trailer that had been built from an old twin axle caravan chassis. I had an Austin Somerset on the back and was pulling it with a Vauxhall Viscount, itself about 35 years old, same thing happened when straightening up from a bend, same cure. I was glad Luton fitted a rear anti tramp bar as standard and glad of rear wheel drive.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I had that happen on Torbay Ring Road towing a 1/2ton Sankey behind my S111 lightweight.... eased her right back and used both lanes to sort it's self out.... then coming up Marldon Road off the Ring Road lost a rear wheel almost outside my house.... 

Quick sprint home grad my 5 ton bottle jack , recover wheel from the hedge opposite and refit with 3 wheel nuts to get home....

Just packed everything away and a Panda Car slowly cruised past....

Just got away with it - oh and the Sankey had almost a ton of ballast in the tub that came from a wash out at Stoneycombe

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Lovely, now that really is a shed on wheels.

Living Vans / Roller Boxes (dog boxes as we call them) are a bit rudimentary, but they’re also really cosey and homely. They’re also great for parties after the beer tent closes 😆 it’s nice to switch off from the world inside one of those, got some brilliant memories over the years.

Also, just to confirm that the engine in the picture is a Garrett tractor. Fred had similar engine, which was an Aveling & Porter tractor, and more famously his A&P Roller, Betsey. They’re all green, I’m more of a maroon man myself 😅 #ABurrellForMe

• Like 4

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That sounds like it could well have been a Buffalo Springfield Roller, there are a few in the UK.

I was parked next to one at a rally once, very interesting machines!

Aveling & Porter did make a similar design. There’s a photo floating around here somewhere of various A&P engines all on a train. I wonder if I can find it..l

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Nope - 100% British built - Aveling & Porter 1911.  Two cylinder Shay pattern engine with the crankshaft  and big ends running in an oil bath and geared drive from the crankshaft to the rear wheel.  Fascinating machine and it goes rather well.  These are soem of my photos of it at a past Woodcote Rally

612896773_IMGP6212copy.jpg.645dbea78a9d800a8a679b9127225cf2.jpg

1664695003_IMGP6215copy.jpg.e1f52a07f5653cf2640752662572a474.jpg

46612310_IMGP6220copy.jpg.2df53fe1e9eff3459a220a168df3ac21.jpg

• Like 9
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Impressive, I've never seen the MLD type in the metal, or the Robey Tri-tandem, there were quite a few different ideas before the IC engine swept everything away, particularly in the US, which is why I thought it could have been a Buffalo.

It would have been nice to have seen a standard gauge British Shay locomotive, those on logging railroads are fascinating to watch.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 07/08/2022 at 17:48, Stubby47 said:

I got my first speeding ticket driving an Austin Allegro 1100

I got pulled up in my black mini for allegedly speeding in a 30mph zone. This was in the 1980's when every other car was red. This was about the third time I had been stopped for some offence in that car by the Kent force.

Each time I was pulled I had to take my licence and insurance documents to the local station. I was never formally accused of anything. It was only years later that I discovered that I was a victim of "Traffic Snooker" where our local force endeavoured to get the highest break in a shift by pulling a red car followed by a coloured car, then a red car etc. 

Obviously I became a target as my black car was worth 7 points. . . . .This resulted in me being variously pulled for speeding, a random drugs search and being breathalised for drinking Appletizer. 

I found that asking a policeman what speed they had to do to catch me doesn't help your case.

Anyway, different times. Today I would be a victim of police harrasement. . . .!

• Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 6

1 hour ago, Fishplate said:

I got pulled up in my black mini for allegedly speeding in a 30mph zone. This was in the 1980's when every other car was red. This was about the third time I had been stopped for some offence in that car by the Kent force.

Each time I was pulled I had to take my licence and insurance documents to the local station. I was never formally accused of anything. It was only years later that I discovered that I was a victim of "Traffic Snooker" where our local force endeavoured to get the highest break in a shift by pulling a red car followed by a coloured car, then a red car etc. 

Obviously I became a target as my black car was worth 7 points. . . . .This resulted in me being variously pulled for speeding, a random drugs search and being breathalised for drinking Appletizer. 

I found that asking a policeman what speed they had to do to catch me doesn't help your case.

Anyway, different times. Today I would be a victim of police harrasement. . . .!

And saying something on social media. Be front page news of the local rag, maybe even in one of the nationals. Oh and mustn't forget suing them for harrasment, false imprisonment, dezcrimination, infringement of your civil liberties etc etc. How times have changed.

12 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Nope - 100% British built - Aveling & Porter 1911.  Two cylinder Shay pattern engine with the crankshaft  and big ends running in an oil bath and geared drive from the crankshaft to the rear wheel.  Fascinating machine and it goes rather well.  These are soem of my photos of it at a past Woodcote Rally

Thats exactly the roller I was thinking of. It's really cool, nice to see something different.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, TheRockingRoadie said:

Thats exactly the roller I was thinking of. It's really cool, nice to see something different.

Now that would make for an interesting build.... Cheddar Steam vertical engine .. gearbox etc...

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

And saying something on social media. Be front page news of the local rag, maybe even in one of the nationals. Oh and mustn't forget suing them for harrasment, false imprisonment, dezcrimination, infringement of your civil liberties etc etc. How times have changed.

Don't even go there, I got chucked out of a charity I had been working with for three years because I disagreed (politely and rationally) with a chap who asserted that "People who join the military only do so to go on a killing spree". I also told him that he might want to reconsider the little red star pinned on his coat if he had a problem with the murder of millions.

I got a blah blah letter about safe places, duty of care and inclusivity etc.

I decided that I have better things to do and at least if bits of rusty iron annoy you, you can bash them with a hammer.

• Friendly/supportive 5

15 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Now that would make for an interesting build.... Cheddar Steam vertical engine .. gearbox etc...

Must...... get....... layout...... finished...... first......🤪

Although I have scribbled ideas for a steam powered motorcycle 1910 style with a flash steam boiler mounted over the rear wheel. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I was thinking I had a photo like that - then it dawned I was probably standing next to you when you took that !

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Must...... get....... layout...... finished...... first......🤪

Although I have scribbled ideas for a steam powered motorcycle 1910 style with a flash steam boiler mounted over the rear wheel. 

I guess you've seen the steam powered motor bikes on YouTube...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Besley said:

I guess you've seen the steam powered motor bikes on YouTube...

Indeed, but it's very distracting, you find yourself looking at the rocket powered Opel bike and bicycles powered by a home made pulse jet.....

• Funny 1