Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

I think that you might be onto something with the GC brake van Idea.

gc_6w_gbv_600_430_72.jpg.8de9d0856b347253c2540a5c61ce2a4d.jpg

Steve Banks.

They also built the Toad to end all Toads. (Picture from 1920)

entry.jpeg.9e10dbd08dfb4d577cd6232001fe27c2.jpeg

Bristol museums 

Busby wasn't all bad.

yellow2b.jpg.ae23578ef5d08352ae9d0cd9fff1049c.jpg

Autosh1te. / Lightstraw

Edited by MrWolf
Scratching ear with foot.
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

I think Le Wulf has nailed it re the GC 6 wheeler. Now, where to find a kit....? 

That bogie brake van is quite something though what exactly I'm not sure. 

On the subject of corporate road vehicles, anyone else not a fan of the yellow livery BR applied to  their road vehicles ?  I suspect it may have been a decision made in terms of trackside visibility but I find the earlier Maroon and Cream livery far more palatable. 

I've acquired a couple of BR vans in this livery to dot about Bleat and Ewe. The one is a Southern Region example so is destined for Bleat (yes, I know by the period I model, Bleat would have been W.R).

The other is Eastern Region so is off to Ewe. However, Rule one will be applied for now. The reason ? The registration number wasn't issued until late 1953 so fine if I'm using diseasals but less so when the J70s flit about as they went in '52. I have no doubt some rivet counting, nit picking, nasal jobsworth would have taken delight in pointing it out at an exhibition if I hadn't  have checked.............The problem is, now that I have checked.....I'm troubled by it, whereas before......You can't win but at least I won't have to suppress an overwhelming desire to shove my finger ( right index if you're interested ) firmly into  the eye of said R.C.N.P.N.J.W if they WERE to point it out. 

Both vans will of course be suitably weathered.

Rob. 

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

The other is Eastern Region so is off to Ewe. However, Rule one will be applied for now. The reason ? The registration number wasn't issued until late 1953 so fine if I'm using diseasals but less so when the J70s flit about as they went in '52. I have no doubt some rivet counting, nit picking, nasal jobsworth would have taken delight in pointing it out at an exhibition if I hadn't  have checked.............The problem is, now that I have checked.....I'm troubled by it, whereas before......You can't win but at least I won't have to suppress an overwhelming desire to shove my finger ( right index if you're interested ) firmly into  the eye of said R.C.N.P.N.J.W if they WERE to point it out. 

Rob. 

You must know someone who can sort you out some false plates....just saying....

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Gilbert said:

You must know someone who can sort you out some false plates....just saying....

🤐

The Bedford TK was launched late 1959 for the 1960 model year, replacing the cab over engine S type, so you're more likely to see them in yellow, but some must have been maroon and cream?

The Unimog, appeared in original form late 1947, but the style we are used to seeing dates from 1963.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The Bedford TK was launched late 1959 for the 1960 model year, replacing the cab over engine S type, so you're more likely to see them in yellow, but some must have been maroon and cream?

The Unimog, appeared in original form late 1947, but the style we are used to seeing dates from 1963.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1096563-Bedford-TK-1961.html

• RMweb Gold

I tend to limit the vehicles on the layouts to small vans or lorries. I aim to avoid anything articulated on the same way as I avoid large locos, wagons or buildings so as not to 'overpower' the layout. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I rather think artics in those days were less likely in the quiet backwaters you favour. The certainly seemed to be a lot less common in the 50s  and horse drawn vehicles were still fairly common. Although I didn't see any railway vehicles horse drawn.

Don

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I’m too young to have seen maroon and cream BR vehicles ;)

1 hour ago, Moxy said:

Well. I take back what I said. Maroon and cream does look better than all over yellow on a Bedford TK.

Thats going to be an interesting mix of colour; wasn’t the original Speedlink livery aluminium and orange or am I thinking of the later livery?

Edited by Tortuga
Muddling colours

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think that you might be onto something with the GC brake van Idea.

gc_6w_gbv_600_430_72.jpg.8de9d0856b347253c2540a5c61ce2a4d.jpg

Steve Banks.

They also built the Toad to end all Toads. (Picture from 1920)

entry.jpeg.9e10dbd08dfb4d577cd6232001fe27c2.jpeg

Bristol museums 

Busby wasn't all bad.

Autosh1te. / Lightstraw

The Bogie Brake Van, ‘Toad’ is for a Narrow Gauge line. There is a Centre Buffer visible, with coupling chain underneath.  I’ve no idea where this other G.C.R., is in the world?

It would be a lovely model, mind.

Paul

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

Nice to see EWE in this months BRM Sir.

Hi Rob.

Thank you. I had no idea it was out as of  yet but yes, knocked up a few words to compliment the photos taken at SWAG in April. 

Perfect  timing, thanks to all concerned at BRM, ahead of Ewe's first paying public appearance at Portishead next month. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Donw said:

I rather think artics in those days were less likely in the quiet backwaters you favour. The certainly seemed to be a lot less common in the 50s.......

Don

Exactly. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Thank you. I had no idea it was out as of  yet but yes, knocked up a few words to compliment the photos taken at SWAG in April. 

A cracking feature and you and others should be on commission from MBR as I've just ordered from them too.😉

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Flying Fox 34F said:

The Bogie Brake Van, ‘Toad’ is for a Narrow Gauge line. There is a Centre Buffer visible, with coupling chain underneath.  I’ve no idea where this other G.C.R., is in the world?

It would be a lovely model, mind.

Paul

It came up in the search and despite not being a British Great Central vehicle, (although British built.) I thought it would be interesting to share it.

The answer BTW, is Brazil.

http://museums.bristol.gov.uk/details.php?irn=235956

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It came up in the search and despite not being a British Great Central vehicle, (although British built.) I thought it would be interesting to share it.

The answer BTW, is Brazil.

http://museums.bristol.gov.uk/details.php?irn=235956

And it's what we in the UK would call a Road Van, having a sizeable goods compartment with a 6-ton carrying capacity in addition to the Guard's accommodation. 

As the man said, though,  it would make a fabulous subject for modelling. 

John

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Busby wasn't all bad.

Autosh1te. / Lightstraw

You clearly never drove one of those Rommel racers as they were nicknamed, due to being an abandoned export contract to Libya, straight 6 petrol engined, about 5 miles to the gallon and a turning circle close to the diameter of the earth resulting in more walls knocked down and vehicles scraped. Absolutely wonderful around town and so easy to park.. They would however, in relative serenity, do 60 MPH on the open road, until the fuel ran out, which was fast for those days.

Even a Sherpa with the idiotic detachable box, which was never detached, in the background of the photo. Pure class.

Sorry for more thread drift back to the good old fun filled days when the joys were legion and the clouds rare.

Edited by jollysmart
Apology
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have once owned a Bedford J type like that, but with the all steel single cab and the peaked wings used on the smaller versions and ambulances. It had a furniture van body on the back on which the whole of one side opened up as a mobile recruitment stand for the Royal Navy. We used it for the autojumbles, it wasn't too bad as it had the 4 cylinder engine rather than the five litre straight six. I did bust a finger when we dragged it out of the field that I found it in though! I sold it someone who was going to work wonders with it. As so often happens, it got dismantled sat around for a few years and was eventually scrapped.

Ahem.

Trains.

I do believe that the GWR and the Cambrian had road vans that had been converted from 4 wheel brake vans. The G&KER definitely has one, their only brake van in fact.

I'm sure that other railways had them? 

It would be an interesting beast for a run down branch line. 

I'm sure that someone on here has built one from an outside frame GWR Toad.

• Like 4