RMweb

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gilbert said:

I'll just leave this here....

308876028_6244676162214689_5725130282022

That's Cwm Defaid a little known section of the Vale of Rheidol. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I do like the GW narrow gauge loclocos,  not quite so struck since they had Westinghouse pumps and air brakes fitted.

I believe the pumps have been relocated in the tanks and are no longer visible.  Just the pipes now.a

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

My thanks to you all for your likes and kind comments regarding the pre-grouping venture. 

20 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

So this ‘no new layout’ talk didn’t last very long Rob. I’m enjoying how easily swayed by pretty locos you are. When are you planning to start?

Jay

You're quite right, Jay.......it didn't last......

I've long held a desire to have a go at a pre-grouping layout, based on RTR stock. 

Ideally, it would be either S&DJR or L&SWR. 

The latter is possible. Two Hornby L&SWR Terriers, some Hornby 4 wheel coaches and a Kernow road van and you have the basics and I came pretty close, I can tell you. But it would lack a bit of motive power variety. 

LB&SCR is again possible, using Terriers but there is the Bachmann E4 and the emerging E1 from Rapido. 4/6wheel coaches from Hornby and Hattons but no small brake van.......yet. 

However, it was the finding of a Hornby H class in the Full Monty SE&CR  liveryvthat did not require one to sell an internal organ to fund which has kickstarted this. 

I think it unlikely that much progress will be made before Christmas. There's too much going on at present in real life so I'd rather not start anything just yet. 

I'm also not sure what size layout this will be. I've thought about producing a usable BLT in 4ft. I think I can do this is in a way that will produce a decent looking layout. Obviously massively compressed but meaningful enough( if you get my drift ) to produce a workable terminus. The result could demonstrate how easy it is to have a small home layout which is easily stored and operated. 

The alternative is expand to 8ft and produce a more traditionally sized BLT. 

I have pretty much all the buildings I need, most of the track, all the locos, coaches are ordered and awaited and wagons are in hand. 

So, I think I'll probably  kick it off in January with no deadline,  potter along and see where it takes me. 

Rob

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Ready-to-run S&DJR pre-grouping?? http://www.ipernity.com/doc/philsutters/album/512561 I don't think that there is much more stock available now, than when I was carving up Triang clerestorys and building wagons from Kenline parts in the 1960s. I don't think that 2-4-0Ts 27A or 28A that shunted Highbridge Wharf will ever appear as r-t-r!

Lecture display 7 3 2017 restaged 8 3 2017.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Will the new layout be ready for members day? 

Mange Tout Spams,

Um....no. Last year was too much what with trying to finish the layout and organise the day. 

So, I'll stick to organising for now. 

SB

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

My thanks to you all for your likes and kind comments regarding the pre-grouping venture. 

You're quite right, Jay.......it didn't last......

I've long held a desire to have a go at a pre-grouping layout, based on RTR stock. 

Ideally, it would be either S&DJR or L&SWR. 

The latter is possible. Two Hornby L&SWR Terriers, some Hornby 4 wheel coaches and a Kernow road van and you have the basics and I came pretty close, I can tell you. But it would lack a bit of motive power variety. 

LB&SCR is again possible, using Terriers but there is the Bachmann E4 and the emerging E1 from Rapido. 4/6wheel coaches from Hornby and Hattons but no small brake van.......yet. 

However, it was the finding of a Hornby H class in the Full Monty SE&CR  liveryvthat did not require one to sell an internal organ to fund which has kickstarted this. 

I think it unlikely that much progress will be made before Christmas. There's too much going on at present in real life so I'd rather not start anything just yet. 

I'm also not sure what size layout this will be. I've thought about producing a usable BLT in 4ft. I think I can do this is in a way that will produce a decent looking layout. Obviously massively compressed but meaningful enough( if you get my drift ) to produce a workable terminus. The result could demonstrate how easy it is to have a small home layout which is easily stored and operated. 

The alternative is expand to 8ft and produce a more traditionally sized BLT. 

I have pretty much all the buildings I need, most of the track, all the locos, coaches are ordered and awaited and wagons are in hand. 

So, I think I'll probably  kick it off in January with no deadline,  potter along and see where it takes me. 

Rob

Hi Rob,

The LBSC had some rather cute 10t goods brakes that looked like cut'n'shuts of the Hornby one. 

Bet you are almost as handy with a razor saw as you are with the rest of what you do.... 

John

• Like 2

On 24/09/2022 at 19:35, mullie said:

Rob

Did you mean this one? http://www.p4layouts.org.uk/leysdown.html

I had a dialogue with owner some years ago because one of the two coach sets used on the layout is very similar to that used in the final days of the Portland branch in Dorset.

Martyn

They are indeed the same sets (513 & 514) which had a fairly peripatetic existence after the Sheppey Light Railway closed in 1950 including a stint on the Weymouth-Portland-Easton branch.

Chris KT

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

On 28/09/2022 at 17:03, NHY 581 said:

But..........what a lovely looking set of locos.

Nice. Very nice. Just like mine. 

Welcome to SECR Anonymous. I confess I am the proud owner of a P, a couple of C's, a couple of H's and several Terriers. All  currently waiting patiently in the Cupboard of Happiness.

Unfortunately with nowhere to run at the mo due to Project House. However I am seeking the path back to righteousness.

Welcome to the Suvern Rob. Looking forward to seeing developments.

• Like 5
  • Funny 1