NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

St Pancras for Scotland. Remember the Thames-Clyde Express!

Expresses! Do you have to keep finding challenges for my memories of what is in Dad's albums?!

46109 Royal Engineer & 45739 Ulster Leeds 30 8 52.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all...

A sunny morning at Sheep Towers. A quick bit of brekkie is on the cards then load Sheep One for a trip to Gloucester Model Railway Club. Sheep Dip is coming with me along with other assorted tat. 

In the tradition of such occasions, Lord Cack has visited himself upon me and Sheep One's back passage is somewhat droopy this morning. It appears the gas struts on the hatchback have chosen yesterday evening to pack up...............Of course, there is no time to source and fit replacements this morning........

Therefore, a Propping In Situ Stick will be employed for today. 

I thank you. 

Rob

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

…It appears the gas struts on the hatchback have chosen yesterday evening to pack up...............Of course, there is no time to source and fit replacements this morning........

Therefore, a Propping In Situ Stick will be employed…

For a few minutes there I thought you were referring to the suspension dampeners and got a bit worried!

Good luck on your travels and take extra care unloading. The gas struts for the rear hatch on one of the Hiluxes at work are ****** and, despite knowing this, both myself and my colleague had the hatch smack us in the back of our heads when opening the tailgate.

Hard hats are wonderful things…

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all...

A sunny morning at Sheep Towers. A quick bit of brekkie is on the cards then load Sheep One for a trip to Gloucester Model Railway Club. Sheep Dip is coming with me along with other assorted tat. 

In the tradition of such occasions, Lord Cack has visited himself upon me and Sheep One's back passage is somewhat droopy this morning. It appears the gas struts on the hatchback have chosen yesterday evening to pack up...............Of course, there is no time to source and fit replacements this morning........

I thank you. 

Rob

I had the same with an old Volvo estate, a small g clamp was the safest option to avoid severe migraines 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

It appears the gas struts on the hatchback have chosen yesterday evening to pack up...............Of course, there is no time to source and fit replacements this morning........

Therefore, a Propping In Situ Stick will be employed fo

Gas struts ?? Pure luxury.

Life Lesson 1. When we had the tailgate torsion bar snap on a Talbot Avenger Estate, we were subsequently grateful that the massive bang occurred whilst we were driving, didn't occur when the tailgate was up and someone was underneath it. Our 'stick' was a garden broom. Fitted quite nicely in the gap between the chrome bumper and the body.

Life Lesson 2. When endeavouring to recover a torsion bar from the back of a scrap yard car, realise that your understanding of the force necessary to lift a heavy tailgate will be released suddenly if you undo that final nut. And you'll never be able to fit it to your own can with a Halfords spanner set. Nut stayed in place and broom was only removed when the car was part exchanged for a Ford Sierra.

Life Lesson 3. Deliberately leaving the keys in the ignition of said Sierra when in town made you realise that the local car robbers had better taste in cars than a Friday product of the Ford factory.

• Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning all...

I thank you. 

Rob

Been there, done that! At least gas struts are easy to change! Last lot I got were from here: https://www.sgs-engineering.com/car-boot-tailgate, though it looks like the price each is about the smae as I paid for a pair 5 years ago...

• Like 2

Whoever decided that those daft little gas struts were better than the torsion bars was undoubtedly the accountant and not the engineer. 

You needed two people with a half inch spanner apiece to get a tailgate off an Avenger, Victor or Marina though and then it was dead easy.

Unless of course you were two or three cars up the stack in your local junkyard and what you wanted was always at the back so that the crane couldn't reach to lift it down.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all. 

Now back, fed and watered at Chateau Sheep after what was a very nice trip out. 

I must thank Tony and the other members of GMRC for a very generous welcome and a lovely afternoon. Really enjoyed the somewhat off the hoof weathering powder demo stuff. 

Also lovely see HRH Phil Bullock. 

Lots of fun, great questions and an opportunity to really think about what I do and how I do it. 

As a rather nice aside, it's given me a bit of inspiration to do a bit more weathering. Not a bad thing at all.

Rob. 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I think your place in the list is well deserved Rob. However I find it awkward to choose there are other names in there which have also been inspiring. Personally I think all on the list deserve an accolade.

Don

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Donw said:

Personally I think all on the list deserve an accolade.

Don

I'm not allowed Accolade anymore or any energy drink as it happens. Even half of one and I get over excited and silly.  Too much sugar and caffeine. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

How are you with colonnades?

46 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Or promenades?

Same stuff, different flavours.......one's pink the other blue ( really bad ) =

Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing............

Edited by NHY 581
Threw up
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing,Boing............

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

There's no hope.

@AY Mod can I change my vote please?

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

51 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

That is exactly the same effect that Drambuie has on Miss Riding Hood, only she usually passes out rather than throwing up.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Never seen a Boinging sheep! Do you have photos?