• RMweb Gold

Always have classical music on when doing domestic tasks and also trains. Often Radio 3, but turn to Classic FM when those erudite, artistic chaps on Radio 3 start talking all intellectual, and then Classic FM also goes off when the ads start up.

However, just been listening to 'Sheep May Safely Graze'...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I dug out The Enid last night....This however is the founder of The Enid, Robert John Godfrey  playing one of their pieces. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Always have classical music on when doing domestic tasks and also trains. Often Radio 3, but turn to Classic FM when those erudite, artistic chaps on Radio 3 start talking all intellectual, and then Classic FM also goes off when the ads start up.

However, just been listening to 'Sheep May Safely Graze'...

I used to listen to ABC Classic but it's all become rather earnest, with too much emphasis on the background of the composer/performer rather than the quality of the music. My station of choice now is 2MBS Fine Music Sydney. Mostly classical but a light sprinkling of other styles too.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Yes, it's good to hear what people are listening to during their day. We always have music on over breakfast, NOT the radio though! 😆

Indeed - I wish there were a radio station with a breakfast show that, on the hour, just played music. I don't want to be woken up to the news, some irritating DJ who is trying to be cheerful, or adverts..

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Hi Rob, I've been looking through your thread for a method of weathering a 16t Coal Wagon, I've prepared mine with a light coating of Matt varnish and want to follow your method of using powders. By any chance do you know where it was in your thread, that's indeed if you did a 'how to' I've found one for a Planked wagon. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, sb67 said:

Hi Rob, I've been looking through your thread for a method of weathering a 16t Coal Wagon, I've prepared mine with a light coating of Matt varnish and want to follow your method of using powders. By any chance do you know where it was in your thread, that's indeed if you did a 'how to' I've found one for a Planked wagon. 

Hi Steve. 

I think I did but it went missing. I'll have a look. 

However, happy to do another.......

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Steve. 

I think I did but it went missing. I'll have a look. 

However, happy to do another.......

Rob

I'd appreciate that...

Chris

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Gilbert said:

I'd appreciate that...

Chris

Hi Chris,

Sounds like a plan then. I'll sort in the next week or so. 

Need to find a victim......sorry, subject. 

Rob. 

• Like 7

Ta Rob, very much appreciated. I started to follow the steps for wooden bodied wagons on the end of this van, I've only used one colour so far but started to get a bit heavy handed, so I stopped for a bit. 353934607_817119856426005_3600342311490453858_n.jpg.432f73fd21ee878ee98823a32c4361c2.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
Just now, sb67 said:

Ta Rob, very much appreciated. I started to follow the steps for wooden bodied wagons on the end of this van, I've only used one colour so far but started to get a bit heavy handed, so I stopped for a bit. 353934607_817119856426005_3600342311490453858_n.jpg.432f73fd21ee878ee98823a32c4361c2.jpg

Looks like a good start to me...

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1

Guess a question I would have related to my photo would be, if you think you've gone too far with the pigments, is it a matter of adding a lighter colour to bring it back or gently removing using the glass fibre brush? 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, sb67 said:

Guess a question I would have related to my photo would be, if you think you've gone too far with the pigments, is it a matter of adding a lighter colour to bring it back or gently removing using the glass fibre brush? 

Hi Steve, 

I would press on regardless. At the stage you're at, some of my wagons are pretty much black. 

aaa642af3086fa54bdfebab71bacc954.jpg.055d3c175ccc81a3863ab7999192a441.jpg

Once you're happy and varnished, THEN start taking off with the fibre brush. 

Light strokes, pause, assess and carry on if you think that's what you need.....or put it down for s day or so. 

All will be well. 

Rob

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In other news, Sheep Dip is now in the garage ready to be checked over ahead of it's appearances at Larkrail and Exmoor Rail. 

General tweaking and a bit of playing with is the order of the day. 

Rob 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Hi Steve, 

I would press on regardless. At the stage you're at, some of my wagons are pretty much black. 

aaa642af3086fa54bdfebab71bacc954.jpg.055d3c175ccc81a3863ab7999192a441.jpg

Once you're happy and varnished, THEN start taking off with the fibre brush. 

Light strokes, pause, assess and carry on if you think that's what you need.....or put it down for s day or so. 

All will be well. 

Rob

Thanks Rob, the "put it down for a day or so " is very good advice, which I will have to practice! 

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

I hope we are well. An uncharacteristically busy week sees me going to work today, for the fourth day ! 

I'm covering holidays at the shop and I have to say it's been fun. We've had quite a few deliveries and I've seen at first hand some great models arriving. Highlights have been the latest batch of Accurascale 37s and the 7mm Dapol B4s. Both are utterly tremendous in their respective fields. 

The 37 is a 'big' weighty boy and it's hard to convey just how impressive it is. I knew these quite well between the mid 70s and mid 80s, watching them thunder by on various mineral workings.  Firing up one of the sound fitted, DCC jobs took me right back. They are magnificent models. I have ordered a green SYP, split headcode job for the 'one day' East Anglian late 1960s diesel branchline terminus thing. 

The B4 had to be as good as the lovely 4mm version. It is but with all the associated finesse possible in 7mm. It is simply a great little ( hold that thought) loco. It maintains the standards set in 4mm but itpushes it a little further. The motion is just that little bit chunkier as are things like the lamp irons, brake standard etc. But these are actually not small locos, only marginally smaller than a 14xx with a rather large, ahem, overhang which is causing some to comment about buffer locking.......mmmm. There's always something/someone etc, etc. 

I've said elsewhere that this loco could tempt me to once again dip a toe into 7mm. I have a Heljan 03 on it's way to me ( I like 03s ) ......a renumber/rechimney of this to a Southern Region job COULD give a late 60s option to a small late 50s setting which utilises a B4...............

But I still have quite a bit to do in 4mm first so perhaps just a couple of 7mm locos and few accompanying wagons wouldn't do any harm.......

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Like 11
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

With regards to 7mm, take your time prior to committing to any rash purchases,  maybe get a feel for the larger size...

In other words, don't run B4 you can......

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

With regards to 7mm, take your time prior to committing to any rash purchases,  maybe get a feel for the larger size...

In other words, don't run B4 you can......

Hi Stu, 

I've already taken a liking to 7mm. I equate the "feel" of the stock to the 1/35th military stuff I built in my teens. For that reason, I want to try more of a military diorama approach to any 7mm venture. 

A reminder if I may.......

20201124_093109-02.jpeg.9aebede48f5a7b06501471cbccf41328.jpeg

Rob

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

However, as I've mentioned before, on here and elsewhere, the fly in the ointment is the 7mm Type 1 from EFE.....

E84706.jpg.92cd08e76d6bbbac75c286213e8cbd55.jpg.d9c383a33129a4a0725a0fe81d0a3258.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s generally recommended to dip one’s toes in, in October in the attached pamphlet,

IMG_4998.jpeg.0b4ddd6ed5a6b80c65c1f2cf8cbfe95d.jpeg

If not before, I shall be starting on Project 'S' in October. 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Worsdell forever said:

Don't mention the D word, makes him nervous...

Dip....? 

20220619_093705-01-02.jpeg.fe624123bc1656ef7c0f34f170191257.jpeg

• Like 16
  • Round of applause 2