RMweb

9 hours ago, Donw said:

My Grandfather said that when they ran out of tobacco in the trenches the only thing available was used tea leaves and it wasn't very satisfying.

Don

Often rolled up in the back pages of bibles too, and if you try rolling cigarettes in sub zero temperatures you do tend to make some "interesting" shapes!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Little to report. Tweaking continues on Sheep Dip and it appears there maybe some "works" required following the visit by TWFC to Bleat Wharf......

Nothing major but there is an area of static grass which is a tad WFC shaped..........Not a drama as I wanted to redo it for sometime. All other sticky up fixtures and fitting were absolutely fine. 

Rob

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I do like the look on TWFC's face in the second photo.

It's something along the lines of "I'll move when I'm ready, shooing me off will only cause damage..."

Yes, cats have a very good line in superior / smug looks

• Agree 4

On 19/06/2023 at 08:23, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

This morning, The Works Forecat has conducted one of her impromptu inspections of Bleat Wharf..

20230619_080552-01.jpeg.e6d9ee6ab0296d7ff288e16f0c1dc16f.jpeg

20230619_080630-01.jpeg.f507f8a30b3847971d19710cc9ce095f.jpeg

Rob

How often do we have to keep posting the obvious advice that using Kitty Litter for ballast is a Very Bad Idea....🙄🙄🙄🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

How often do we have to keep posting the obvious advice that using Kitty Litter for ballast is a Very Bad Idea....🙄🙄🙄🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤣🤣🤣

Millet seed is worse...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
On 19/06/2023 at 09:26, Mike_Walker said:

My Dad had one of those when I were a lad.  I'm surprised that in the risk averse H&S obsessed world you can still buy such things.

Nowadays, the weed-killer types are generally electric rather that petrol powered.  

• Informative/Useful 1

• NHY 581 changed the title to The Sheep Chronicles : These are the adventures of a Sheep, the Works Forecat and Naughty George,
  • RMweb Premium
On 19/06/2023 at 08:23, NHY 581 said:

Morning all, 

This morning, The Works Forecat has conducted one of her impromptu inspections of Bleat Wharf..

20230619_080552-01.jpeg.e6d9ee6ab0296d7ff288e16f0c1dc16f.jpeg

20230619_080630-01.jpeg.f507f8a30b3847971d19710cc9ce095f.jpeg

Rob

Being allergic to cat fir I must say I'm not a great fan on the smug, fluffy, clawy darlings. That said any cat deciding to rest on a layout of mine would soon be an ex-cat or, if I was in a more humane mood, find itself glued and sceniced....

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I'm allergic too. I have also made it my mission to stop the neighbours cats c£apping in our garden as I have to clear it up. 

They now leg it when they see me. 

(No cats were harmed in the making of this post!).

• Friendly/supportive 5

I quite like cats, I've met quite a few people who don't like them because they can't order them about like they would a dog.

That said, if I spend too long in the company of cats, it makes my eyes itch like mad.

The Memsahib is highly allergic and tends to burst into flames if she gets within six feet of a cat. The same thing happens though if we walk onto holy ground and that can be rather embarrassing at weddings and funerals...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Which would tend to suggest that cats are holy. I believe that the ancient Egyptians thought so anyway.

In my house they are the children we never managed to have.

Regards Lez.  

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 11

They were venerated across the Egyptian sphere of influence and subsequently by the Romans, beginning to appear in numbers in Britain after 500AD. (Are we still allowed to say that?) 

European culture was more used to dogs, seeing them as guides to lost travellers, spirit guides, guardians of the underworld and the predecessor of the grim reaper, who might judge you not yet ready for the next world.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I believe that the modern PC term is CE rather than AD although I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be common or current as I've heard both used. I can't see quite why it needed changing but we're not supposed to go around offending people are we. Although it seems that the people offended by changing it can just lump it! Still that's woke politicians for you, as long as the people who they say we can't offend aren't offended the rest of us can be offended all day long and we can't say anything about it without being labelled as offensive. The world it seems has gone to the devil.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

3 hours ago, lezz01 said:

I believe that the modern PC term is CE rather than AD although I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be common or current as I've heard both used. I can't see quite why it needed changing but we're not supposed to go around offending people are we. Although it seems that the people offended by changing it can just lump it! Still that's woke politicians for you, as long as the people who they say we can't offend aren't offended the rest of us can be offended all day long and we can't say anything about it without being labelled as offensive. The world it seems has gone to the devil.

Regards Lez.

Amen to that...

Oh hang on, that might be offensive to other faiths and atheists.

Now I know that it might irritate some people, (Who are generally offended on behalf of other people, despite not actually asking them all if they're offended.), I think that I'll carry on using Anno Domini, despite the fact that we're both lapsed Christians.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Regards Lez.

Morning all, 

I genuinely had no idea that this BCE/CE stuff even existed.............( and it has done since the 1700s apparently ) 

It may come as no surprise but we are somewhat old skool at Chateau Sheep and this had completely passed us by............and will remain that way. 

Rob

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Fishplate said:

Ditto. What is BCE/CE ? 

Before Current Era/ Current Era..........

Apparently it avoids any religious nonsense connected with Before Christ/ A.D ( Anno Domini-Year of our Lord )

However, we all continue to use the Gregorian calendar. 

Rob

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

Before Current Era/ Current Era..........

Apparently it avoids any religious nonsense connected with Before Christ/ A.D ( Anno Domini-Year of our Lord )

However, we all continue to use the Gregorian calendar. 

Rob

Didn't know Sheep could do Gregorian Chant😀. Whatever you do don't let me sing, I could clear a stadium in seconds with my quality of singing.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, simonmcp said:

Didn't know Sheep could do Gregorian Chant😀. Whatever you do don't let me sing, I could clear a stadium in seconds with my quality of singing.

A gift, Simon, a very rare and wonderful gift. 

If anyone were to be left behind when you had finished, very worthy of the most tumultuous of applause. 

Rob

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Current Era is all very well but you still have to define it, so if someone chooses to use the term I will have to ask them.

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Limpley Stoker said:

Current Era is all very well but you still have to define it, so if someone chooses to use the term I will have to ask them.

Define 'Modern Image',

So that's anything after 1922...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Kernow Towers is a constitutional monarchy, with both cats jointly as Heads of State, but they are nonetheless constrained by various statutes, concerning meal times and proximity to layouts, modelling benches, sewing machines, knitting projects and the like.

All normally seem to rub along quite nicely.

Historical ages are also measured in BC and AD terms here, none of this modern nonsense.

• Like 6

On my phone, which makes this a bit of a pain to reply to, but I think a couple of things above merit gentle (and good-natured) push back :) So, with my Trained Troweller hat on

CAIRO-POET_side_1280x1280.jpg?v=16872749

(B)CE = (Before) Common Era. Direct from Latin, so there's no debate over 'Current'/'Common', and used with increasing frequency in academia for over four hundred years. It's just a useful term for a community wider than the divisions in religious/cultural frames of reference, who may not have an intuitive sense of how periods in history relate to the nominal birth date of a particular individual. There's no 'allowed', no 'offence', and certainly no 'woke' (whatever that means). It's just a way to more simply relate information between different academic communities with different traditional dating references as contact between these communities increased exponentially from the Rennaisance on.

Ballybough_Cemetery_gate_lodge_2020_03.j

Some confusion may creep in with an alternative term and frame of reference:

BP = Before Present. "Present" in this case, this case relating to the availability and utility of radiocarbon dating, being 1st January 1950. Again, no particular political agenda, it's just a more useful term in many contexts.  Within about 15 years (a 'generation', often the target resolution for archaeological dating*) of this date, nuclear testing had doubled the amount of Carbon-14** in the atmosphere, drastically altering the 'clock' on which radiocarbon dating is measured*** and so a very practical date. Granted, it is not more useful in social contexts among those who grew up with a state-religion-infused state education system with a widely understood reference point for dates, but it's not a big leap to appreciate that other contexts are available.

*vs. c27 years of an average biological generation over the past 250,000 years (23 years for women, 31 for men)

**The decay of which to Carbon-12, with the amount of C-14 halving every c.5700 years, is the 'tick-tock' of how it's used for dating

***On the plus side, this greater quantity of C-14 in the atmosphere = greater quantity of C-14 in every organism = greater resolution = ability to do things like track muscle tissue formation and regeneration/replacement, which is of direct medical utility. Swings and roundabouts!

Wiki has a handy little conversion table:

BP.jpg.c2413646b12a75e349dd11e8a57022d3.jpg

Socially, many of us are more familiar and comfortable with BC/AD so in that context that is the 'correct' reference to use as it's the most easily understood. Nothing Wrong with that, but nothing Right either. Within this group perhaps our most used (and useful) are

but that'd be b*gger all use for most people in most contexts! The more tools at our disposal to clearly and concisely communicate our meaning and relevant information the better, no...?

PS. WTF is woke?

PPS. Cats and dogs, obviously :)

PPPS. There are few ideas of worse predictive utility than monotheisms in general, and modern Christianity (all sects) in particular. By now I think it's pretty safe to say there's no God, as the term is commonly understood. Regardless, a shared culture (of words and music and activities) is a good thing, churches (and equivalents) are lovely, philosophies are interesting and nobody is good enough at what they do to justify making others miserable in the way they do it. Here endeth the lesson!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 5