RMweb

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

And you can't do much with just one wagon.... 

Well, he could shunt it to the end of the length of track, change his mind and go back and get it again, then realise that it should have been there in the first place and go and shunt it back again, have a tea break and then repeat the whole thing...

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

You could just get a point and a couple of bits of track just to test it . . . 😇

Glad to hear the eye is better too. 

Thanks, Paul. 

You're actually not too far away there.......

I'm actually thinking, long term, to do an O gauge remake of Sheep Lane. 

post-14122-0-69734200-1457728578_thumb-1-01.jpeg.f89db076652dfb554f55c4c546b0b08d.jpeg

(Though I'll need a bigger table to plonk it on ) 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, he could shunt it to the end of the length of track, change his mind and go back and get it again, then realise that it should have been there in the first place and go and shunt it back again, have a tea break and then repeat the whole thing...

All good practice for using real couplings, instead of the utterly stone-age tension lock.... 🤣😉👍

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, F-UnitMad said:

All good practice for using real couplings, instead of the utterly stone-age tension lock.... 🤣😉👍

But they work easily 😉 

I watched Rob shunting continuously,

I watched the equally lovely Sandsifters have a little more trouble in OO 😉

Seeing the dangling links ain’t easy . .

Sandsifters at Railwells 2023

So the ufo death ray gets switched on . . . 😆

The coaches and wagon kept rolling away.

Sandsifters at Railwells 2023

So in comes the hand, 

They look better in photos but especially in OO and to an extent in O they can be a right pain! I’ve eased the loops open on my O Dapol wagons as I find the first link often fouls the hook and is very stiff to hook up. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I watched the equally lovely Sandsifters have a little more trouble in OO 😉

....and made things so much worse for the Operator by not just being an Audience, as things only ever go wrong in front of one, but photographing it all as well.... 😉😉🤣🤣🤣

Edit, One reason I went to O was because I wanted to use 3-links again on British models, but not in 4mm which I'd tried decades before. 🙄

Yes T/Ls do work, probably why they've lasted so long with refinement, but they just look awful!!

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

....and made things so much worse for the Operator by not just being an Audience, but photographing it all as well.... 😉😉🤣🤣🤣

With silly captions later 🤣

Thing is neither the tension locks or the ufo put me off if a layout is well done and operates smoothly. Ewe and this were my two favourites at the show because I felt either could fit in a corner as satisfying layout. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

57 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Thing is neither the tension locks or the ufo put me off if a layout is well done and operates smoothly

Yes I think we are on the same page really - I wouldn't just walk past a layout because the stock has T/Ls.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The choice of couplings is a very personal choice, let’s face it there is no perfect answer. Most of my older wagons use 3links, they look good when a train is made up but I don’t have the space for generous curves so any shunting becomes too frustrating with them buffer locking and derailing. The modern tension locks are much neater than the older style and are not so obtrusive so I use those in the goods yard. Any wagon kits I build now tend to have at least a hook and tension locks which can easily be removed if need be. I have seen magnetic couplings being used for shunting, a wagon moving on its own towards a loco is not a good look. Personally I do not like the look of KayDees on British standard gauge stock although I have used them on an 0-16.5 layout. 

Whatever you choose, enjoy the modelling and operating.

Brian

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

Yes I think we are on the same page really - I wouldn't just walk past a layout because the stock has T/Ls.

I think by and large we have got accustomed to TL couplers. Yes, nothing other than a 3 link is prototypical for most steam era UK stock but they are just a nightmare on a 4mm scale exhibition layout. Anything else is some sort of compromise.

TLs work well if:

- The loops are all set to the same level. This is hindered by manufacturers seemingly going out of their way to set them at different heights and have droopy couplings

- The hooks are free to move up and drop. Paint and poor manufacturing tolerances can hinder this.

- Stock doesn't roll off when you're trying to couple up when breathed on by the approaching wagon. Free running wagons are great for long trains but rubbish for shunting.

In terms of appearance, I think there are things that can be done to improve the appearance:

- Replace the TL and NEM socket on the front and back of a loco with a subtle loop of wire. This enables the loco to be detailed up at the front.

- Adjust the coupling mounting points so that the buffers, when coupled, are not a scale 6' apart. This means the coupling is less visible.

None of the above is a big task on the smaller layout. If the coupling and uncoupling is quick and reliable, and does not end up with profanities being uttered, that goes a long way to accepting the visual compromise IMO.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, F-UnitMad said:

- it's "Kadee" 😉 but I agree they're not the thing for UK stock, mostly.

I agree - and then I don't!

I use Kadees on British stuff as it offers decent "hands off" uncoupling - including delayed action. I completely get the aesthetic argument - and if I was starting over I'd probably go for S&Ws -however NEM Kadees do allow newcomers to get a bit more play value if TLs are their only alternative - I have had many an exhibition visitor sit down to play with one of my layouts and then go off to look into Kadees. Its not straightforward - British steel axles don't like the big undertrack magnets and some fettling is required for reliable shunting but its an alternative to TLs...

Chris H

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes but Kadee do give you hands free operation, and shunting is fun to if you have a inaccessible siding for the 'great fat hand from the sky'

Mind you I use chopper couplings but in 7/8ths they are quite visible and with a nicely polished and graphite hook allows for auto coupling

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A plug here for DGs. The Leeds MRS 00 group converted to them over 40 years ago and I have used them ever since. When blackened chemically, they are less obtrusive than tension locks or Kadees, don't rely on the buffers when pushing, allow delayed uncoupling and are relatively inexpensive (certainly when compared with Kadees).

Usual disclaimer.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, sb67 said:

Hello Rob, got a quick question about your weathering. When you spray the initial coat of varnish do you cover any glazing or remove any overspray after?

Cheers.

Steve. 

1 hour ago, sb67 said:

Hello Rob, just read though the post you put on my weathering thread, it did say you mask the windows, off I go to do that the out with the rattle can of varnish 🙂

Morning Steve, 

All noted. In the beginning, I didn't mask loco windows but yes, now I do and it improves matters no end. 

I've always done so on coaches. 

Either masking tape or a blob of blue tack.

Really should use the maskol I've had forever....

Rob

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 23/08/2023 at 12:27, John Besley said:

Yes but Kadee do give you hands free operation, and shunting is fun to if you have a inaccessible siding for the 'great fat hand from the sky

Ah, but you can do the same with Dinghams. I had used Kadees on my North American stock but could not abide TLs. I tried 3 links but one show was enough to convince me it was too masochistic to be prototypical. I discovered Dinghams which are very unobtrusive once blackened and never looked back. Key point, Dinghams are located where couplers are supposed to be, the buffer beam.

Cheers,

DavidIMG_0293.jpeg.384d335ac9eb416f106dda20edb95ef3.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

Just to lob a bit of a Spaniard in the works, I also struggled massively with three-links, until I switched to using magnetic links.  That has made them much easier to handle (but then I'm not making an exhibition of myself...)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Graham T said:

Just to lob a bit of a Spaniard in the works, I also struggled massively with three-links, until I switched to using magnetic links.  That has made them much easier to handle (but then I'm not making an exhibition of myself...)

I now use magnetic links myself. It is a game changer as far as I am concerned, especially if the coupling magnet is attached to a bright LED pen torch.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Agree with you 100% CK.  I went for 3-links for the look, but they used to drive me batty (eyes aren't what they were).  With the power of magnetism - a piece of cake!  Seriously, usually manage to couple with one or two attempts at most, and without having to use my reading glasses and a torch.

• Informative/Useful 1

I’m going to try three links out - I’ve already got a pack of Smiths ones - but now you lot have got me worried! On Alsop they should be fine as stock will probably remain coupled together most of the time, but I’m intending to use the same wagons on Whaley Shunt…