Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

38 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

A couple of things really stood out to me in that film - the paucity of road traffic (true of almost any pre-1970s filming it seems! - and also the length of the train. Though no fault of the Sheepmeister's layouts and others, I always had the impression that these lines were mostly about a small loco fussing about with a couple of wagons. Now admittedly that might have been the case sometimes, but clearly during the growing & harvest seasons these railways were very busy.

Lastly, there is no sense at all of the impending doom to come that to this day is summed up with just one name - "Beeching".... ☹️

The J70s double headed trains at busy times and there could be long lines of vans in sidings.  Upwell Station had quite a few sidings. Petrol rationing would have helped traffic levels after the war.

Martyn

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Yes, my efforts can only hint at the type of traffic that frequented the Wisbech and Upwell. 

Even single J70s hauled considerable length trains but certainly the 1949 timetable shows, as Martyn states, services to be double headed.It was really only in the very last weeks/days of revenue earning service that things reduced to a couple of wagons and a brake van. 

Rob.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 06/09/2023 at 21:57, New Haven Neil said:

Yeah, I agree - I have Dapol, Minerva 57xx (and a Lionheart 64) panniers, nothing to chose between them for running qualities, top class.  Might just give the Minerva the tip for detail, but really,  just got it because it has rivetty tanks and at that time Dapol didn't do that.  

20200413_115102.jpg.e0014d0f32ad314f515cdf00a61c13dd.jpg

That looks fabulous Neil, really nice indeed.

''Must stop looking at Panniers, must stop looking at Panniers, must stop... etc... etc...'' 😉

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far and long may we totter on.......

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Congrats Rob! Just happen to have a glass of red in me hand, I'll drink to that, CHEERS!

Thanks George. 

I too am imbibing. In my case La Goudale Ambre. A decent 7.2% and wholly appropriate as I'm watching France v All Blacks. 

C'est bonne. 

La Mouton. 

• Like 1