RMweb

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, durham light infantry said:

I shall get my Scottish Mother in Law, to come and have a word with you.

She started her working life kick starting aircraft carriers at Rosyth...

Did she kick start the Queen Elizabeth and the Prince of Wales?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Barclay said:

Just for that, here's a rough old photo of a rough old loco - a proper man's loco, mind you, none of that namby pamby copper chimney cap nonsense!

09_08_08046.jpg.1d564b5918fd0dc9c83bc739f11d4443.jpg

Oh! I thought you were referring to the rather stylish Kerr Stuart diesel in your avattar?

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

One day, I will do my utmost to replicate this finish.........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/curly42/5884241483/

If you presented a model like that, you'd probably be accused of kak-handed soldering or being ham-fisted with a paintbrush!...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 15/11/2023 at 07:44, NHY 581 said:

Morning Wayne..The 0-4-0 Peckett is Hornby’s W4. I have....cough.....a number. If you are going for an Andrew Barclay then wait until next year when Hattons are doing a further run. Avoid ebay where they are being advertised at stupid money. Hattons will be asking less than £90. 

Morning Chris. Absolutely. Barclays are a tad uncouth.

Morning Paul. Thank you. The Room of Doom is somewhat bijou and compact at (  over generously) 8ft x 8ft.........probably closer to 8ft by 7ft 6ins

Rob

Rob

Many thanks for that, it looks larger somehow,  small yet perfectly formed then. My own empire is 11x10 ft. Is this a case that 2-3  small layouts gives more pleasure and interest  than a single medium roundy roundy? Or would a roundy continous run be something you would not contemplate?

Paul

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, paulbb said:

Is this a case that 2-3  small layouts gives more pleasure and interest  than a single medium roundy roundy? Or would a roundy continous run be something you would not contemplate?

Paul

I think everyone's answer will differ, but if I may offer my thoughts as I am planning a layout around three and a half sides of a room (the airing cupboard stops me doing a full circuit, although I'm not sure 'd want to). I see this layout as a series of "small" layouts.

Passenger trains will, mostly, run into the terminus do their run round (shunt released by an 08) and get on their way again. But there will be some where sleeping cars, parcel vans or Motorail flats needed to be shunted on or off.

Parcels trains have their own couple of sidings, plus use of the passenger platforms as necessary, so parcel shunting is effectively a layout, albeit worked intermittently as the 08 has to go and deal with the passenger trains.

Then there is a 3 road goods yard, with its own 08. This wouldn't justify its own loco except for the Goods Branch.

The Goods Branch has two single siding customers (grain silo and petroleum) served on the way out, and a third with a couple of sidings (some form of works to be decided) and its own small shunter which is served on the way back. Although integral to the whole layout, this private siding complex could easily be a layout in itself. Similarly, at the end of the branch there will be a run round, an MoD (Admiralty) siding (maybe 2, I'm still debating that) and a sand/gravel siding. The terminus, again, could easily be a micro in itself, Indeed I might build that so that it could be exhibited separately. 

I find micro layouts great fun to operate (and watch at shows), and am keen to have self-contained operations within a bigger layout. But I will admit I do like the prospect of serving the whole goods branch with a trip working running out and back serving the various customers, rather than having a series of separate micro layouts.

If I had the space, maybe I would build a continuous run mainline, but it would have to have micro layout type areas built in, and I think I'd operate them much more that I'd ever run the mainlines. But that's just me.

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

6 hours ago, HillsideDepot said:

I think everyone's answer will differ, but if I may offer my thoughts as I am planning a layout around three and a half sides of a room (the airing cupboard stops me doing a full circuit, although I'm not sure 'd want to). I see this layout as a series of "small" layouts.

Passenger trains will, mostly, run into the terminus do their run round (shunt released by an 08) and get on their way again. But there will be some where sleeping cars, parcel vans or Motorail flats needed to be shunted on or off.

Parcels trains have their own couple of sidings, plus use of the passenger platforms as necessary, so parcel shunting is effectively a layout, albeit worked intermittently as the 08 has to go and deal with the passenger trains.

Then there is a 3 road goods yard, with its own 08. This wouldn't justify its own loco except for the Goods Branch.

The Goods Branch has two single siding customers (grain silo and petroleum) served on the way out, and a third with a couple of sidings (some form of works to be decided) and its own small shunter which is served on the way back. Although integral to the whole layout, this private siding complex could easily be a layout in itself. Similarly, at the end of the branch there will be a run round, an MoD (Admiralty) siding (maybe 2, I'm still debating that) and a sand/gravel siding. The terminus, again, could easily be a micro in itself, Indeed I might build that so that it could be exhibited separately. 

I find micro layouts great fun to operate (and watch at shows), and am keen to have self-contained operations within a bigger layout. But I will admit I do like the prospect of serving the whole goods branch with a trip working running out and back serving the various customers, rather than having a series of separate micro layouts.

If I had the space, maybe I would build a continuous run mainline, but it would have to have micro layout type areas built in, and I think I'd operate them much more that I'd ever run the mainlines. But that's just me.

6 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Afternoon, Paul. 

I prefer the Cameo layout format. I can generally knock one up in about 6months ( bare boards-exhibition )  and it provides a self contained layout in terms of location, period and stock. This allows me to indulge my quite eclectic interests and arguably avoids the compromise that trying to do this on a larger layout would bring. 

I would, subject to space, have a roundy roundy and Edington Junction on the S&DJR would be a front runner but I worry I wouldn't cope well with limiting myself to one period/company on what would be a big commitment. 

Hi,

my layout, St Mungo's is in storage pending  a house move (a long, ongoing story!) and, if we ever get the space, my partner and I would like a roundy roundy based on Keyingham station on the line between Withernsea and Hull in EM.

By carefully choosing buildings and having people and vehicles removeable it is possible to have one layout represent several time periods and/or areas.  St Mungo's has been designed with this in mind.  The chosen periods/areas are:

Glasgow Caledonian 1919 - 1921

Glasgow Caledonian/LNER 1935 - 1939

Glasgow British Rail 1950

Glasgow British Rail 1967 - 1972

Tyneside 1948 - 1955

Kilnsea 1960 - 1964   

Kilnsea was never attached to the national rail network, but it is in my world as I need somewhere to run the Hunslet railbus as used on the Spurn Head Railway and first gen dmu's.

Although the layout is in storage I'm currently building rolling stock for all these periods.  Variety is the spice of life, so they say!

Roja

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Graham T said:

Lovely set of photos there Rob, thank you!

Seen altogether like that, Rob’s layouts are like a series of exquisitely cut gems on a necklace, each one a different precious stone but obviously fashioned by the same mastermind.

In movie terms, I’d also suggest they look like a trailer, building up excitement for a big reveal.

And in BOOK terms, I think they make a great teaser as to what a BOOK showcasing Rob’s layouts might look like, although the BOOK itself would have far more photos illustrating each layout, and being a BOOK from Rob would be interspersed with “how I did it” chapters on scenery, rolling stock, weathering etc. I mean, it could be quite a heavy BOOK as it would contain an awful lot of inspirational photos and instructive content, and I’m sure the images inside might even make it feel like a coffee table BOOK to be left out for any visitor to casually flick through, but it’s definitely a BOOK that I - and, I strongly suspect, many others - would wish to add to my library, or BOOK collection as some may call it.*

Steve S

* Just been reading a BOOK by Derren Brown talking about the power of suggestion - a really interesting BOOK read 😉

Edited by SteveyDee68
Grammar
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Hiya Rob,

Excellent photos, I really like what you've done with this. I like the area of water at the front, water is something I'd like to have a go at doing one day on a layout and it would be something like a drainage ditch with an outlet from a culvert or something like that.

My favourite out of those has to be the rust effect on the length of rail used as a sign post, that looks spot on and is just the sort of decrepitude I'd like to try and create on my NCB scheme.

Wayne

• RMweb Gold

Morning all and thanks for kind words and likes etc. 

I hope the photos illustrate how each of these small layouts provides it's own self contained and easily acheived little world......and some progression as I have learnt and continue to learn new things. 

The idea of creating small, linkable scenarios is a possibility but I like the variety that these small cameos can provide....literally each to their own as it were. 

The week end will see me here....

TSGMRC-SHOW-POSTER-2023.jpg.df1991dc45bca90b839d496b6134b26a.jpg

Not with a layout but I'll be working...Yep, I'm there on the Saturday with Lord and Butler. 

I've struggled to find a list of layouts etc but here's a screenshot taken this morning. 

Screenshot_20231117-084504_SamsungInternet.jpg.ace944d40899365248687563b6aa0317.jpg

If anyone is going do make yourselves known. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Seen altogether like that, Rob’s layouts are like a series of exquisitely cut gems on a necklace, each one a different precious stone but obviously fashioned by the same mastermind.

In movie terms, I’d also suggest they look like a trailer, building up excitement for a big reveal.

And in BOOK terms, I think they make a great teaser as to what a BOOK showcasing Rob’s layouts might look like, although the BOOK itself would have far more photos illustrating each layout, and being a BOOK from Rob would be interspersed with “how I did it” chapters on scenery, rolling stock, weathering etc. I mean, it could be quite a heavy BOOK as it would contain an awful lot of inspirational photos and instructive content, and I’m sure the images inside might even make it feel like a coffee table BOOK to be left out for any visitor to casually flick through, but it’s definitely a BOOK that I - and, I strongly suspect, many others - would wish to add to my library, or BOOK collection as some may call it.*

Steve S

* Just been reading a BOOK by Derren Brown talking about the power of suggestion - a really interesting BOOK read 😉

Morning Steve, 

Crikey ! 

Thanks but the subject of a book has come up before but frankly, I'll leave that to those who can.  

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Not with a layout but I'll be working...Yep, I'm there on the Saturday with Lord and Butler. 

If all goes to plan, I'll be visiting on Sunday. This will be my first exhibition since the late '80s when I helped my dad and Peter Marshall exhibit a layout called Burnham Thorpe.

• Like 2