RMweb

• RMweb Gold

And of course I still have the Y10 to power........

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Is that the double ended garden shed?

I can see what you're doing............

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That's not an issue, it takes the same space wherever it sits.

It's something I've often wrestled with but never resolved. Maybe an 'In memory of' subforum within the layouts section? Should they be locked or remain open?

Without wishing to hijack Sheepbloke’s thread, I assume that missing photos (following the Great Outtage) have to be replaced by the original authors - which means those that were originally posted by modellers who have since departed will remain forever blank.

Or is there a way to allow anyone who has saved such images to be able to reinsert them into those original posts? Could an account be handed over to a willing intermediary to act as a conduit for such saved images to be passed to?

I realise that RMWeb exists purely through the input of willing members, but it has become such a resource for the wider modelling community it seems beyond a pity that so much has been lost.

Steve S

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That's not an issue, it takes the same space wherever it sits.

It's something I've often wrestled with but never resolved. Maybe an 'In memory of' subforum within the layouts section? Should they be locked or remain open?

Would it be practicable to lock the topic for new posts but allow reactions to existing posts?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

28 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Bonnie Tyler (I must be older than you...).

So are you older than Bonnie Tyler or is she older than you.

Confused of Manutopea.

Edited by Winslow Boy
Life was simpler when it was in Black & White

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Winslow Boy said:

So are you older than Bonnie Tyler or is she older than you.

Confused of Manutopea.

I am a few years younger than she is.

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

My favourite Welsh voice! Her and Eve Myles do something to me.

Mary Hopkin. Ahh, those were the days.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium

The minute you walked in the joint, ouch!

I could see you were a man in some pain

A real big loser

Not looking' won't do that again

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

20201219_131847-02.jpeg.e0e96605f9043dfbe94174727c38d76d.jpeg

(Old, pre bushy Norman Lockhart image of Sheep Dip ) 

The Sentinels have popped up on Sheep Dip in the past. Useful sorts. 

I noted yesterday that  68184 had a bit of a nod as it moved about the parish. A bit of investigation showed the probable cause. Dapol utilised wheels with stub axles, the final drive gears being plastic and moulded to a plastic centre axle. It was done thus as the pick ups are substantial copper elongated 'U' shapes, current being transferred via the pin point ends of the wheels into the integral wheel bearings on said pick ups. 

However, exactly the same as the plastic axles on Mainline and Early Bachmann split chassis, these axles can deteriorate, swell and split over time due to contact with oil. This was found to be the case with 184 yesterday, hence the nod as the axles were no longer round. Thinking I could perhaps swap axles with the other two Sentinels in stock, pending obtaining replacements, I opened up first one, then t'other. All six axles were split. Bother! 

The two 'best for now' were dropped in and the nod resolved, to a point but today will see replacements ordered from Peters Spares to effect a proper fix. A decoder was also fitted to 184 at the same time to allow running on Ewe. 

Looking back to correspondence had with @46444 of the parish in May 2020, the axles purchased and fitted back then have lasted some 3, nearly 4 years, despite or perhaps because of  minimal use........

20210101_220746-02.jpeg.dd6bf7d1910f4ddd945d788118b19437.jpeg

Rob

Thinking about your axle swelling issue (there's a phrase you don't type every day)... If the cause is oil getting to the plastic, can you coat the plastic in something painty (like a varnish) prior to fitting and use of oil? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Thinking about your axle swelling issue (there's a phrase you don't type every day)... If the cause is oil getting to the plastic, can you coat the plastic in something painty (like a varnish) prior to fitting and use of oil? 

Morning Spams, 

Possibly. The problem us that the ends are pretty much the smooth bearing surfaces. I wonder therefore, if the issue is the ends them selves rather than the surface if that makes sense so by gluing the wheels in would that then seal the ends, thereby preventing oil getting into the ends themselves ? 

I'll post some images in a moment or two of my swollen end................

R

• Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

20201219_131847-02.jpeg.e0e96605f9043dfbe94174727c38d76d.jpeg

The Sentinels have popped up on Sheep Dip in the past. Useful sorts. 

I noted yesterday that  68184 had a bit of a nod as it moved about the parish. A bit of investigation showed the probable cause. Dapol utilised wheels with stub axles, the final drive gears being plastic and moulded to a plastic centre axle. It was done thus as the pick ups are substantial copper elongated 'U' shapes, current being transferred via the pin point ends of the wheels into the integral wheel bearings on said pick ups. 

However, exactly the same as the plastic axles on Mainline and Early Bachmann split chassis, these axles can deteriorate, swell and split over time due to contact with oil. This was found to be the case with 184 yesterday, hence the nod as the axles were no longer round. Thinking I could perhaps swap axles with the other two Sentinels in stock, pending obtaining replacements, I opened up first one, then t'other. All six axles were split. Bother! 

The two 'best for now' were dropped in and the nod resolved, to a point but today will see replacements ordered from Peters Spares to effect a proper fix. A decoder was also fitted to 184 at the same time to allow running on Ewe. 

Looking back to correspondence had with @46444 of the parish in May 2020, the axles purchased and fitted back then have lasted some 3, nearly 4 years, despite or perhaps because of  minimal use........

20210101_220746-02.jpeg.dd6bf7d1910f4ddd945d788118b19437.jpeg

Rob

As ModelRail/Dapol are doing a new run of these, there’s a reasonable chance if you contact them, spares may be available 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, NHY 581 said:

I'll post some images in a moment or two of my swollen end................

We don't talk about that sort of thing in our house!🐑

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, PMP said:

As ModelRail/Dapol are doing a new run of these, there’s a reasonable chance if you contact them, spares may be available 

Morning Paul, 

Yes, all ordered this morning from Peters Spares along with more steps and brake gear. 

I've ordered enough axles to replace all six and to keep a couple spare.....but not in such a 'safe place' as the others.........

Rob

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Said swollen/split Sentinel nether regions.

20240128_091656-01.jpeg.2f94d9b0ec03f79098886cdf567bcbe4.jpeg

Not pleasant. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Paul, 

Yes, all ordered this morning from Peters Spares along with more steps and brake gear. 

I've ordered enough axles to replace all six and to keep a couple spare.....but not in such a 'safe place' as the others.........

Rob

‘safe places’ are brilliant. Make sure that when you store them there they are unlabelled. This is important when you find them in five years time you don’t recall what they are and discard them. Ideally the bin day before an artefact breaks and you remember you’ve got spares and where they were

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1