NHY 581

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, mullie said:

I maybe wrong but weren't model railways once mentioned in this thread?

Listen, don't mention model railways. I mentioned them once, but I think I got away with it all right...

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 7

52 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Listen, don't mention model railways. I mentioned them once, but I think I got away with it all right...

Go on, do the walk. 😁👍

Be sure to include that impossible leg-twisting about-turn at the far end.

• Funny 3

26 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Go on, do the walk. 😁👍

Be sure to include that impossible leg-twisting about-turn at the far end.

An all time classic.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 4

On 27/01/2024 at 18:03, NHY 581 said:

Spent the best part of a day pottering in the Room of Doom. 

One long term 'need' is for a Sentinel to run on Ewe, simply for variety. Aside from the Y10, a 'normal' sentinel was trialled in the late '20s, shortly before the passenger services were withdrawn. It was not a success. 

In my world, their occasional use continued and today I dragged 68184 out.

20240127_154343-01.jpeg.cb56b28afbb6f9f2a8d536cd12d849b0.jpeg

The search continues for a suitable East Anglian example and until one is located, 184 will have to do. 

Rob

I've seen mention of the single cabbed Sentinels being trialled on the W&U, nut as yet, despite multiple books on the line, I've never seen evidence of this. Do you perchance know where I can find such a thing, I'm holding off purchasing and running one on Outwell Basin depot until I know for a fact that one was trialled and it isn't confusion with the Y10s.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, NickBrad said:

I've seen mention of the single cabbed Sentinels being trialled on the W&U, nut as yet, despite multiple books on the line, I've never seen evidence of this. Do you perchance know where I can find such a thing, I'm holding off purchasing and running one on Outwell Basin depot until I know for a fact that one was trialled and it isn't confusion with the Y10s.

Hi Nick, 

May 1927. A Y1, 8401,  was tried over line, including passenger duties. Trials were unsuccessful and 8401 was returned to Lowestoft sleeper depot. 

Photo ( same one) in both the Oakwood and Middleton press volumes. 

Of the current crop of Sentinels from Model Rail, 68144 seems to be the only Y1. The other three are Y3s. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 3

Indeed there it is on page 197, I must have glossed over that or forgotten reading it previously. One to add to the collection after I purchase the 3D printed 04 that's now available and merge it with a suitable chassis. I just hope it doesn't turn into such a farce as my attempts to buy a Ruston 165 body to merge with a Peckett chassis

On 03/05/2024 at 01:52, St Enodoc said:

I remember, at the seaside, paying a penny to pull a string and see the Water Otter. You all know the rest

Got the Ascot reference now, thank you. Still baffled by paying to pull strings to see one and knowing the rest though. 🤔 

Definitely either not wiv it today Guv'ner, or unedyerkated  in such matters.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, mullie said:

Try explaining a back boiler behind an open fire to the youth of today, they struggle with the idea of no internet and just three TV channels.

I mentioned hobbies the other day to a class and had to explain what sort of things people did because some weren't sure!

We 'ad it tuff, we only 'ad two TV channels, when we 1st got tv. No phone either, the nearest phone box was about a 1/4 mile away and you had to press bu9A or B.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, NickBrad said:

Indeed there it is on page 197, I must have glossed over that or forgotten reading it previously. One to add to the collection after I purchase the 3D printed 04 that's now available and merge it with a suitable chassis. I just hope it doesn't turn into such a farce as my attempts to buy a Ruston 165 body to merge with a Peckett chassis

Nick, see this excellent warts and all build by our very own @Gilbert

Drewry-Final-2_240506_223417.pdf

I'm certainly using the 1927 trial as a precedent for an occasional Sentinel Y3 visit. I also must get to grips with sorting a chassis for my Y10. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Got the Ascot reference now, thank you. Still baffled by paying to pull strings to see one and knowing the rest though. 🤔 

Definitely either not wiv it today Guv'ner, or unedyerkated  in such matters.

My apologies - I thought everyone of my age (i.e. old f@rts) would have been to one of those seaside tearooms with a little garden by the side. A string ran up over a pulley and down behind some plants and/or rocks, with a sign saying "pull to see the water 'otter" - with a very tiny apostrophe.

On pulling said string, up rose, not an Ascot, but a battered old kettle.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

They used to do it at a church fete, pay to go into a tent to see the “greatest mystery in the world”, and so on…

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

b63e08a5df3b2ce910e10e8d74127b5d.jpeg.74b3a49983f0242b453c8f3d495491d7.jpeg

Reminds me of a Spike Milligan sketch from the golden age of British comedy.

www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?q=pakistani+dalek&mid=7779AF6F62A0D8E9945A7779AF6F62A0D8E9945A&FORM=VIRE

Edited by wainwright1
changed link
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon folks,

Well, it's nice to be thought of as a youngster at fast approaching 64 - I had never heard of an Ascot water heater either!

Cheers, Nigel.

Basically just the easiest way to introduce hot running water to older houses that didn't have it.

But also the ancestor of today's quookers and power showers....

• Like 2

My grandparents had one of those in the kitchen, the only source of hot water other than the range.

There were plenty still in student houses in the 80s and early 90s, by which time they had a reputation for never being serviced and gassing the residents. But they were seriously good at heating water, half a dozen buckets full and the monthly bath was sorted...

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

……the monthly bath was sorted...

As often as that?

mind you it’s my birthday this month so I suppose I’m due one 🤪

• Agree 1
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 2

19 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My apologies - I thought everyone of my age (i.e. old f@rts) would have been to one of those seaside tearooms with a little garden by the side. A string ran up over a pulley and down behind some plants and/or rocks, with a sign saying "pull to see the water 'otter" - with a very tiny apostrophe.

On pulling said string, up rose, not an Ascot, but a battered old kettle.

Thank you for the background.

I'll have a word with the parent. I clearly missed out on this cultural and clearly formative experience as a youngster 🤣. I wonder what the yoof of today would make of it?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Basically just the easiest way to introduce hot running water to older houses that didn't have it.

But also the ancestor of today's quookers and power showers....

My first bedsit when I moved back to London in the mid '60s had two geysers: a small one over the kitchen sink, and a large one over the bath. The latter was prone to the occasional small explosion followed by a gentle shower of soot. After that you really needed a bath. I can't remember if either was an Ascot.

We have a small Sadia electric water heater in the workshop which is, I suppose, the present day equivalent.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

As often as that?

And me and this year I've arranged for a bank holiday for everyone so they can celebrate as well, the one this week was a practice run for the great event

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

My grandparents had one of those in the kitchen, the only source of hot water other than the range.

There were plenty still in student houses in the 80s and early 90s, by which time they had a reputation for never being serviced and gassing the residents. But they were seriously good at heating water, half a dozen buckets full and the monthly bath was sorted...

They were seriously good at singeing one's eyebrows too, probably for the same reason.

4 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

As often as that?

My grandad had a bath once a week, whether he needed it or not.

• Like 3
  • Funny 6

Good morning folks,

At the risk of further thread drift, I think the modern equivalent of the Ascot is a Zip water heater/boiler. Usual in office kitchens.

On the big railway, I was involved in a project to fit two of them to the MBLS vehicles in a Class 442 unit at Bournemouth some 20 years ago. One for hand water heating and a larger one for drinks.

To celebrate completion of the first unit I made the depot production manager a cup of tea, to confirm they worked and as an apology for keeping the unit out of service for a week and a half.

Long days travelling from Derby to Bomo every other day.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening all, 

Just in from an evening spent in the garage, finally doing some work on the layout due out at Wells. Things didn't go quite to plan as I ended up making a few amendments......Frankly, it's going to be  damn close. 

20240507_210828.jpg.64211a61457e49baadeee96c4028636b.jpg

I do like the addition of the kick back siding from the line into the bay, something that is seen at a number of locations but not so often in a model.

It's going to add an interesting operational wrinkle and probably give an excuse for an end loading dock off the platform and the scenic addition of one of those hand operated winches offset to the track for hauling the odd wagon when no locomotive is available.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1