Alton Model Centre

TomE

• RMweb Gold

Discovered today that Alton Model Centre has changed it's opening times. Now only open Tuesday - Saturday and the 1st Sunday of each month, although apparently this is subject to variation! 

I had heard that a change in ownership was due to take place so this could be a result of that. Hopefully they don't reduce the amount of useful basic modelling supplies as the shop has always been well stocked in that respect and very useful to have close by!

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Bob has finally retired and, as I understand it, his son Paul has taken over....don't think many people would want to work the crazy hours that Bob used to. I think he only used to shut on Christmas Day, open all (other) hours.

• RMweb Gold

There are very few model shops in the UK as good as Alton Model Centre - I was in there the other week and another customer, as he left, said to his wife, you don't see shops like this anymore. Bob built up something quite special so when he said he intended to retire I was dismayed as he, together with Caroline and more recently Richard, have provided a wonderful service to those of us who live within travelling distance. A round trip of 50 miles for me is always worthwhile and I have rarely returned home without something I needed or wanted - or sometimes I didn't realise I needed when I set off!  I was therefore delighted when he told me that his son Paul was taking over the shop and I am sure Paul will build upon the firm foundations. I know that he is making use of the days when he is closed to upgrade the IT system and do all the things you need to do when taking over a business. After 25 years of outstanding service Bob certainly deserves his chance to relax and build another model railway of his own. I wish him a long, happy and healthy retirement!

all the best

Godfrey

• RMweb Premium

It's been a while since I've been there but I always used to pop in whenever I was visiting the Mid Hants and don't think I ever came away empty handed, whether I was actually looking for something or not. An increased internet presence with full stock inventory and I can see myself buying from them even from afar.

Been there only once last summer. Did a mini "tour" of model shops South of London before I moved out of the big smoke. Cracking model shop with tons of good stock all neatly organised. If I lived closer I definitely would visit more!

The gentleman who served me was probably the current owner. Incredibly helpful person and even though I only had a brief visit I can say it will be a loss to the model shop for him to not be there. Glad to hear it's staying in the family however!

Edited by sub39h

• RMweb Gold

I read on another thread that Bob was the Bob from Eames of Reading. Just wanted to wish him well, as a kid I used to get a DMU on the Redhill to Reading line most Saturdays up to Reading, walk down the hill to Eames, spend a while perusing the shop, buy something and then either go spotting at Reading Station or shopping in the town.

If I remember correctly Bob also regularly attended a massive GWR 4mm layout in Crowthorne, Berks, run by an ex-GWR chap. Myself and a friend ran the starting fiddle yard one evening a week for a while. I think we were the only teenagers there! This was a pukka layout with full timetable, speeded up clock, signal bells, interlocked signals and points etc. Bob would also attend and we'd get a discount on anything from Eames. It appears another member of the team is on RMW http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78357-large-garage-layout/I am pretty certain Pendennis was the layout.

If it is the same Bob, then I wish him well in his retirement.

I read on another thread that Bob was the Bob from Eames of Reading. Just wanted to wish him well, as a kid I used to get a DMU on the Redhill to Reading line most Saturdays up to Reading, walk down the hill to Eames, spend a while perusing the shop, buy something and then either go spotting at Reading Station or shopping in the town.

If I remember correctly Bob also regularly attended a massive GWR 4mm layout in Crowthorne, Berks, run by an ex-GWR chap. Myself and a friend ran the starting fiddle yard one evening a week for a while. I think we were the only teenagers there! This was a pukka layout with full timetable, speeded up clock, signal bells, interlocked signals and points etc. Bob would also attend and we'd get a discount on anything from Eames. It appears another member of the team is on RMW http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/78357-large-garage-layout/I am pretty certain Pendennis was the layout.

If it is the same Bob, then I wish him well in his retirement.

You are right, Bob Treacher worked at Eames; he then worked (as Manager?) at Ian Allan at Waterloo before taking on the shop in Alton.

The "Pendennis" layout you link to is owned by a former operator of the real Pendennis which, as you correctly remember, was located in Crowthorne.  Sadly that layout had to be dismantled as we got marching orders from the extended garage/shed/coal hole in which it was located.  It is now somewhere in East Anglia where it is slowly being rebuilt.  Before the real Pendennis was dismantled we produced a video for You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjTnuJVi9uE and an article which appeared in the April 2010 edition of Railway Modeller.

Martin

• RMweb Gold

Bob originally worked part-time in EAMES (which is how I first knew him having been a regular customer there for many years) when he was still in the army at Arborfield and he also ran his own secondhand etc business with a regular stand at swapmeets in the Reading area (remember the ones in the Top Rank anybody, or at Woodley?).  He joined EAMES full time after leaving the army and finally left (I think before the business closed due to redevelopment of the site) there to become manager of the Ian Allan branch at Waterloo.  From there he moved to his own business in Alton initially sharing premises in a photographic business just up the road from the present shop.  I can't remember when he moved to the present shop but there was a rather nice opening day party and the premises was officially opened by Eric Porter the actor, who departed carrying a Wills Schools kit if I remember rightly.

Bob put in a  massive amount of hard work to build up the Alton business which in my view ranks as almost an ideal model railway shop and although it is 30 miles away I have always counted it as the most immediate of my two 'local' model shops.  I hope he and Caroline will enjoy a long and happy retirement and that his new layout gets smoothly underway.  Every success to his son Paul who has taken over the business.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

When I lived in Basingstoke I would enjoy my visits, and Bobs rather laconic humour. Huge stock, plenty of 2nd hand books at realistic prices and advice for the asking. When he gave up smoking, I asked how he was getting on 'I'm putting all the cigarette money in a pot...' Much later, and no ciggies in sight I asked how much he'd saved up and he mentioned an improbable figure. 'Going on holiday with it, then?' 'No, spent it all on a rake of hand-built brass Pullmans...'

Happy, healthy retirement, Bob, best wishes to his son.

Doug

Edited by Chubber
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Paul is doing a  grand job - he called today and left a message that the piece of aluminium I had ordered was in.  I duly called back to give him an idea when I'd be over to collect it and asked if my 64XX had also arrived 'yes but I didn't say anything as I'm not sure who was taking the message' - that's good customer service in more ways than one I reckon ;)

• 10 months later...

I called in there last week, my first ever visit, my expectations were low after looking for items on their website, be warned the website does not do the shop any justice whatsoever. I was pleasantly surprised to find stock literally from floor to ceiling, and went well over my on street 30mins parking, ( but no ticket).

I came out with an armful of stuff I needed, and will no doubt make the trip again when more is required

I used to drop into the shop quite often on trips to and from both Alton and Portsmouth. Bob had lots of stock stored above the shop and always found items remarkably quickly!....

In the days when I used to visit detainees at the Haslar detention centre near Gosport, I occasionally made a detour to Alton on the way back. At least one visit proved very expensive, and I walked out with a Crownline kit for the Maunsell N15. I'm still not sure what possessed me to buy it - it may have had something to do with the late Guy Williams' own scratchbuild of a Scotch Arthur for Pendon, or more likely it was Bob glaring at me and sending subliminal messages that sounded like "just buy the ******* kit and stop loitering!!"

It's a remarkable shop, and in today's commercial world of high rents and identikit chain stores / coffee shops, you don't really see high street model shops with that kind of frontage and floor space now. Let's hope "son of Bob" can preserve his father's legacy - not easy when it seems as if every other similar business is only available online.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Let's hope "son of Bob" can preserve his father's legacy - not easy when it seems as if every other similar business is only available online.

Paul's doing a great job, it's unusual for a model shop as good as this to been handed down to a younger member of the family they normally close down.

• 2 months later...

Visited today, the guys behind the counter were really helpful but also happy to let you browse at your leisure, exactly the right combination, in my opinion. 

If you can't see what you want just ask and they disappear off and (usually) reappear triumphant asking how many you want! 

A  great experiance and probably the best model shop east of Kernow models.

Thank you and keep up the good work.

Edited by bubbles2

• RMweb Gold

Have continued to happily use the place since the change and always prefer to go there than shop online and I think Paul is carrying on where Bob left off. Also helps that this place in not to far from work so it gets me out of the office every now and again for lunch time.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

YES INDEED. I go to this shop a LOT!!!!!!

Big shop in the High Street with loads of stock and the staff usually know what you're on about which can be reassuring.

The staff have a good grasp of modern technology such as DCC etc.

Stock is computerised and it is amazing what can still be dug out from upstairs at old prices!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'd like to mention some excellent customer service by Paul at the Alton Model Centre. 

Having purchased a Dapol pannier tank and Gaugemaster decoder I was struggling to remove the cab prior to installing the decoder.

Paul very kindly offered to do this and install the decoder, and as an added touch, altered the CV settings to make the loco run more realistically. 

So, a massive "thank you" and thumbs up recommendation for the AMC. 

And to quote Arnie, when it's time to get my next loco, "I'll be back!" 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Popped in today after work, awesome service from Paul. Couldn't see what I was after in the cabinet, which by the way looks a lot tidier and easier to browse. Asked if he had any Dapol manors in stock in br green, few moments later he comes from the back with 7810, test ran the model for me, worked a treat. But superb service, I shall be down next month to raid the debit card again

Top work Paul keep it up buddy :)

Matt

• Like 1