Excellent call, Mike.

I think that might be an inspired idea.

(Although, if the previous loco had failed wouldn't the Warship just tow the train plus dead loco into Newton Abbot station? It is not as if it would have far to go). 

I will have to pore over Aller Junction photos showing lots of track. 

• RMweb Gold

Or what about somewhere between Taunton and Cogload?

Or what about somewhere between Paddington and Plymouth?!!

But seriously, 7B86 IIRC is a Tavvy Jcy - Plymouth, or vice versa?, not that that proves anything of course.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

There are a lot of photos of Aller Junction to study, but I do not think the trees are right.

It does look more like a loop to me than 3 (or 4) track main line.

I did wonder briefly if it was Yatton Down loop, but I think there are too many trees for that.

cheers

7B56 

There were a number of b/w negatives of hydraulics up for auction on Ebay recently. 

Most went for prices well above what I was prepared to pay, but for some reason this was ignored and I ended up being the only bidder at £2.99. Maybe the fact that the loco was badly positioned in the photo put people off?

I don't know, but on inspection the image turns out to be more interesting. All I know is, it is D839 with blue/grey coaches. 

Initially I thought it was just powering along the main line somewhere, but it is actually on old bullhead track with wooden sleepers, maybe a loop or a siding. Why would it be there? It is not ECS because there seems to be a head poking out of one of the windows. 

Does anyone have any guesses as to date/location?

attachicon.gifd839 .jpg

7B56 was the 09.48 Okehampton to Exeter Riverside Yard between May and October 1971, the return working off 7B65 06.00 Exeter Riverside Yard - Okehampton. My records from July 17th to its withdrawal don't show it worked 7B56 so on that basis its a May 71- July 1971 shot...

Edited by mark alden

7B56 

7B56 was the 09.48 Okehampton to Exeter Riverside Yard between May and October 1971, the return working off 7B65 06.00 Exeter Riverside Yard - Okehampton. My records from July 17th to its withdrawal don't show it worked 7B56 so on that basis its a May 71- July 1971 shot...

Thanks Mark. That would fit with the leafage on the trees and what appear to be near vertical shadows. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So with 7B56 being a working which would leave the loco facing south at Exeter - if the headcode is to be trusted - we are potentially looking at somewhere relatively nearby with a siding or branch on the "Down" side and the loco still facing south or south-west.  

Hemerdon Down Loop?  

• RMweb Gold

So back to EnterprisingWesterns Aller Junction...

http://taillampphotography.com/Graphics%20Used%20For%20Website/CLASS_52/D1016_D1023/MKLRa52_023_06.jpg

With the train on the nearest road heading in the down direction....train in phot is up train of course

Looking at fence line and trees is this about right?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/6179183640/in/photolist-aq2W1Y-ebPnxn-ffTAWc-9LY5rm-9Vh4Vz-WurMpF-ajbxT5-bbjg1v-aMmXan-9YWRk3-9WAGie-9V4AYH-9g69eV-9ZecWA-apFqDx-a7j6bX-BWz3yw-a7mVbQ-aBm8Yd-aair3m-9GiicQ-e5JGeX-9UP2SS-apZeGx-YnhT2D-aj8UK8-9VyjYU-9LVE4n-BWxg8a-fMujeE-gSNrpE-784Urw-fMukaL-apJhj2-apJhte-9UDg5c-qzxfVL-gru5sW-7812bp-dtNnmk-RAKoEn-NJS1E-fMcJqg-WsYghy-b94FvT-dZE6Nf-943ZsX-oLAuEX-b94FBF-9dSmtK

With photo taken from up train travelling in opposite direction on furthest line....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Premium

I’m not convinced by that track spacing for Aller. The Warship does seem to be on a loop or siding and the “ten foot” between the main lines is apparently an ex-broad gauge spacing unless there is a structure such as a bridge support out of shot forcing that gap. The linked image at Aller shows all tracks evenly spaced.

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

My feeling is that the wide spacing of the tracks is too wide to be the normal ex-broad gauge "six foot". 

I think this is more likely to be a four-track section, with the photo being taken from a train running in the opposite direction to the Warship. So it would have been a hasty grab shot, which would explain the off-centre composition.

We should be careful of basing identification on modern shots because of the proliferation of lineside foliage since the 70s. Because there are trees there now, it doesn't mean they were there then.

Edited by Andy Kirkham

• RMweb Gold

Agreed on all points Andy

Were there other 4 track sections west of Exeter?

Heres a 1971 shot of Aller - look at the track configuration

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3758/9703764022_d037ab5cb6_b.jpg

Jointed FB - CWR FB - Bullhead

As per the original photo.....

Phil

Edited by Phil Bullock

• RMweb Gold

I must admit when I first saw Jonny’s D839 photo I thought on the approaches to Tavistock junction or perhaps near Marsh Mills Plymouth, just because it looks a tad like that now. However, unable to source a “now”photo of the area. So merely a gut feeling and nothing scientific.

Maybe I’ll take a detour next time I’m driving home from work.

Neil

• Like 2

2 more Teds for you

Top D9503 at Swindon brand new in 1964 copyright unknown

Bottom D9551 runs away at Cardiff in 1966 after brake failure copyright Bob Masterman

Thanks Bob

Cheers Gareth

Bob Masterman's view of the errant D9551 was taken when Bob was working at Cardiff (Newtown) Goods, which was located in Davis Street, less than a 5 minute walk from where this 'nine fiver' ran away.

The scene of this incident was more or less where the Cardiff Magistrates Court is now located.

Brian R

• Like 1