steve howe

• 1 year later...

Hi Mike,

Well Lower Rose is pretty much finished following a treeemendous tree making session, partly because the Hornby Mag. photographer had a shoot scheduled last week

Hopefully it should be appearing early next year to coincide with our Club show at Helston in April 

http://www.hfmrc.com/Events/Item/2016_10_18_Helston_and_Falmouth_MRC_2017_Exhibition

If they let me post the pics in advance on here I'll put them on.

Steve

Edited by steve howe
  • Like 4

• 6 months later...

Very nice layout full of atmosphere to a high standard. Is the bulldog a kit? I have the same loco. Mine was part k's kit (tender,front bogie,chimney safety vales) the rest scratchbuilt. I have a mallard bulldog unbuilt no instructions tho.

All the best

Steve

Edited by stevejjjexcov

Very nice layout full of atmosphere to a high standard. Is the bulldog a kit? I have the same loco. Mine was part k's kit (tender,front bogie,chimney safety vales) the rest scratchbuilt. I have a mallard bulldog unbuilt no instructions tho.

All the best

Steve

Hi Steve,

If I remember right the Bulldog is a Finney kit, I also have a Mallard Duke waiting its turn, but I suspect much of it will need modification in the light of current kit standards!

Steve

Finally some finished pictures of Lower Rose Goods, for more detail refer to the June issue of Hornby Magazine to whom my thanks for these images.

All photos by Trevor Jones

attachicon.gifPix 2A 17-09-26_172136_M=B_R=4_S=3 - Copy - Copy.jpg

Yard clerk George Worrel discusses the state of the world with the goods guard as 2721 places a couple of wagons

For once some sacks that actually look like sacks!! :) Did you make them yourself? All the plastic offerings look like errr......plastic offerings. Superb modelling well done.

Edited by Benbow

For once some sacks that actually look like sacks!! :) Did you make them yourself? All the plastic offerings look like errr......plastic offerings. Superb modelling well done.

Yes they are home made. Roll out a strip of Das to about the thickness of a cigarette or slightly thicker, cut into about 15mm lengths with a scalpel, squeeze one end slightly flat and form a couple of 'ears' at the bottom, use a cocktail stick to model a little topknot and some creases to represent the tied neck. In some cases corn sacks were stitched along the top so just pinch a crease and model a couple of 'ears' on the top corners. The trick to get them looking 'heavy' is to gently press them together while still soft, then they sag in all the right places (know that feeling!) and settle naturally. Colouring is watercolour with the pattern/lettering done with a fine brush. A light dusting of talc tones it all down.

Steve

Edited by steve howe

Yes they are home made. Roll out a strip of Das to about the thickness of a cigarette or slightly thicker, cut into about 15mm lengths with a scalpel, squeeze one end slightly flat and form a couple of 'ears' at the bottom, use a cocktail stick to model a little topknot and some creases to represent the tied neck. In some cases corn sacks were stitched along the top so just pinch a crease and model a couple of 'ears' on the top corners. The trick to get them looking 'heavy' is to gently press them together while still soft, then they sag in all the right places (know that feeling!) and settle naturally. Colouring is watercolour with the pattern/lettering done with a fine brush. A light dusting of talc tones it all down.

Steve

Great. I spent many years in my youth heaving grain sacks about. Health and Safety what was that?? 17 years old and expected to carry 2cwt sacks on your back :(

I'm hoping to get to Railwells this year now there is at least one layout that's worth a viewing.

Bob

Ouch!

Railwells is always worth visiting, I have never been to a duff one yet!

Great. I spent many years in my youth heaving grain sacks about. Health and Safety what was that?? 17 years old and expected to carry 2cwt sacks on your back :(

Indeed, my family business were millers and I can well empathise

Exquisite workmanship, Steve, really lovely.

Can you remind me of the overall layout footprint, please, in terms of the scenic area on its own, plus the fiddle yard?

Thanks.

The overall length is 3m x 400mm, in two 1500mm sections, can't remember off hand how much of that is scenic, but from memory the fiddle/cassette deck is 900mm long

post-7471-0-46848100-1526936092.jpg

On plan the fiddle area looks disproportionately large to the visual bit, but the scenic area works out proportionally about right. The trouble with narrow layouts is if they are too long your eye can't encompass the scene unless you can break it up into smaller chunks with buildings, trees etc.

Steve

• Like 6

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Afternoon Steve.

Just catching up with this thread after Railwells.

Lovely job.

Rob.

Thanks Rob,

We'll be at Scaleforum with it in September and Great Electric Train Show in October, might even have the couplings fettled by then.... :scratchhead: Currently getting a High Level 14xx chassis kit finished - is that man a genius or what?! Even the tiniest parts fit where they are supposed to, I doff my cap to the Wizard of Wearside :good: 

Steve

• Like 1

Its the good old Airfix body. Excellent for its time and still dimensionally accurate today. Its been heavily re-worked with the Mainly Trains detailing kit (now available from Andrew Hartshorne I believe) new smokebox door, chimney, safety valve, whistles shield, tank fillers, finer handrails,lamp irons cab interior etc. etc. I removed the top feed to put her back to 4835 which was based either at Truro or St. Blazey (can't remember which) between the wars. 

Steve

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One question if I may Steve, the ferns on the rock face......

We spoke at Railwells and you confirmed they were real but painted to prevent browning.

Can I ask what paint do you use to seal them with?

Rob.

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Its a kind of moss that grows abundantly in the wet woodlands around here, we've had a bit of a discusion on this on the Scalefour forum https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5924&p=62751#p62751

I use oil based enamels as it seems to keep the moss supple, I think acrylic might work too. Separate the fronds and  dry the moss first, then soak or spray with your chosen colour.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1