Tonbridge West Yard

Lyddrail

Did anyone else actually own and build any MTK units . :-)

I bought two Cravens units some time in the 1980's, at an exhibition, and got half way through building one, but gave up when I simply could not sort out how to get the motor bogie to fit the double-angled bracket provided, and then on to the body floor. The heights just would not work out, using additional spacers, the works. I think I must have bought the wrong motor bogie (a black beetle I think) or the wrong size wheels. The instructions were truly terrible. I dumped it in a fit of pique after many wasted hours. It was for a layout based on Lowestoft Central, which I also never finished. I still have the other one in a box somewhere, vowing I would work it out one day.....but I don't think I will bother.

Edited by Mike Storey

Mike

On my 105 I used a Hornby 110 DMU power bogie as it had a flat on the top of the case and a presstud out of mums sewing box. Epoxyed one half to the flat on the motor. And using plasticard packers epoxy the other half onto and you could set the height and fix to the underside of the roof. Added bonus you could just pull the bogie out for maintenance etc.

Thanks

Edited by sf315

Mike

On my 105 I used a Hornby 110 DMU power bogie as it had a flat on the top of the case and a presstud out of mums sewing box. Epoxyed one half to the flat on the motor. And using plasticard packers epoxy the other half onto and you could set the height. Added bonus you could just pull the bogie out for maintenance etc.

Thanks

So only now you tell me??!! :stinker: 

Did anyone else actually own and build any MTK units . :-)

MTK were the only provider of the range of Southern EMUs back in the day so for us they were the only option. As such I had the 4REP, 4TC, 455 and 2HAP which i bought and built in the 80's.

Tonbridge West Yard was such the biggest inspiration for Southern modellers because it totally encompassed the best of the southern modern image at a time when no-one else even recognised it. I absolutely love this layout and I'm thrilled to see it back.

I'm currently building a 6REP to join my fleet using a Hornby VEP as a base but last year i decided to rebuild the MTK 2HAP and 455 to a more modern standard with additional components from MJT (2HAP) and Bratchell (455). The 2HAP is almost done but the 455 needs work doing on the cab front, with lights fitted, the bogies and interiors replacing and a full reglaze. The REP & TC on the other hand were sold on ebay and replaced with a MJT builds...

post-20061-0-26835800-1485171672_thumb.jpg

post-20061-0-84333200-1485172880_thumb.jpg

post-20061-0-06779300-1485173062_thumb.jpg

post-20061-0-24342800-1485173126_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the inspiration and fantastic layout though Lyddrail 

post-20061-0-49053400-1485172332.jpg

• Like 6

MTK were the only provider of the range of Southern EMUs back in the day so for us they were the only option. As such I had the 4REP, 4TC, 455 and 2HAP which i bought and built in the 80's.

Tonbridge West Yard was such the biggest inspiration for Southern modellers because it totally encompassed the best of the southern modern image at a time when no-one else even recognised it. I absolutely love this layout and I'm thrilled to see it back.

I'm currently building a 6REP to join my fleet using a Hornby VEP as a base but last year i decided to rebuild the MTK 2HAP and 455 to a more modern standard with additional components from MJT (2HAP) and Bratchell (455). The 2HAP is almost done but the 455 needs work doing on the cab front, with lights fitted, the bogies and interiors replacing and a full reglaze. The REP & TC on the other hand were sold on ebay and replaced with a MJT builds...

attachicon.gifMTK HAP.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20141123_005.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20160705_23_18_29_Pro.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_20170106_00_08_56_Raw.jpg

Your lining out, especially on the b/g and NSE liveries is outstanding. Are those by transfers or did you find a way of doing it by hand? Either way, superb.

Your lining out, especially on the b/g and NSE liveries is outstanding. Are those by transfers or did you find a way of doing it by hand? Either way, superb.

By hand for the NSE units but with transfers for the B/G white lining. By hand is down to good priming, sharp & clean masking and a whole lot of patience, lol.

Thanks for your comments.

Your Hap & 455 are looking very good. I did rebuild some of my units adding MJT ends and other components many years ago. Others I will improve as time allows. There are some much better parts available now.

I have been watching your 6REP topic, I have an MTK to build that in the future. Yours is turning out very well.

Cheers.

Thanks for your comments.

Your Hap & 455 are looking very good. I did rebuild some of my units adding MJT ends and other components many years ago. Others I will improve as time allows. There are some much better parts available now.

I have been watching your 6REP topic, I have an MTK to build that in the future. Yours is turning out very well.

Cheers.

Seriously, i was so in awe of TWY when i first saw it and to this day, it is by far the best representation of the southern in NSE. Seeing all the CEPs, VEPs & EPBs in all their glory on a layout for the first time in the array of liveries of that time was such an inspiration especially when no-one else even seemed to recognise the region existed post steam/BR Green. So glad you've resurrected it and to see you adding to it again. For us modelling the southern circa 1990, it is the benchmark.  :locomotive:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Stafford show is ever closer, I took the stock off on Monday and serviced  all motored vehicles, then took the layout down yesterday. Just about everything packed away ready for loading the trailer and car tomorrow.

Picture of layout before take down.

post-1373-0-04464400-1485980676_thumb.jpg

Say hello if you are visiting, lots of good layouts at the show.

Cheers.

• Like 15

Looking forward to taking root and spending some time 'on the view' 

Cheers, Anthony 

Hope you found a way through - it took me a good 15 minutes to get a good spot to linger on TWY at DEMU last year, such was the clamour. A real draw at any show.

Stafford went very well, a few point and stock issues but all quickly sorted. I had a scratch operating team who did very well, in fact it was hard to get some of them off the West Yard panel!

Current March Railway Modeller includes a feature on the history of my layout. Hope this is of interest.

Back out with TWY at Glasgow on 24th, 25th & 26th February.

Cheers.

• Like 5

Stafford went very well, a few point and stock issues but all quickly sorted. I had a scratch operating team who did very well, in fact it was hard to get some of them off the West Yard panel!

Current March Railway Modeller includes a feature on the history of my layout. Hope this is of interest.

Back out with TWY at Glasgow on 24th, 25th & 26th February.

Cheers.

It takes a little while for RM to get the far reaches of the universe. I am really looking forward to it now!

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, 

What is the light blue engineers livery? I saw some mixed in with a rake of Satlink wagons and was wondering what livery that was? Also what was it used for? 

Thanks

-Ash

Ash,

They would be Project Mercury wagons.

Carl

• Like 1

Project Mercury was a Telecoms company, they used the railway cable troughing system and lineside to lay their cables.

Wagons were painted a sky blue livery.

Carried mostly cable troughing

Richard

They were part of Cable and Wireless; in the early days of privatisation, they were encouraged by the Thatcher government to act as competition to British Telecom. The idea was to use the land at the side of railway tracks to lay a fibre-optic network, mainly for business use, between major cities. Apat from the open wagons, they had modified Bogie Bolsters to pay out the cable, along with a selection of brake vans.

• Like 1