Tonbridge West Yard

Lyddrail

• RMweb Premium

Yes I know.... and dam fine it it too (wizz bang dcc gizmo)..but I did like the way the gaugemaster hand held (black box) controller slowly cooked your parm over the course of a weekend show!

G

I believe you've had other things cook the PALM of your hand over a weekend before now.....

As for Barrow - just one word - rhythm.

I got it, you aint!

Cheers,

Mick 

I believe you've had other things cook the PALM of your hand over a weekend before now.....

As for Barrow - just one word - rhythm.

I got it, you aint!

Cheers,

Mick

I was not the one who got "spied" on sat in house at 01:30 in the morning, by a passing pervert sorry driver! shaking a tin of yellow paint! I know it's your paint and you will shake it as long as you want!.

Come on some one back me up the hand held controllers do get a bit warm during a show...especially a tasma sliding hand held controler... when running 2 Hornby 142s went sizzle sizzle puff...no longer work!

G

• 1 month later...

I have put the layout up at home to carry out post Glasgow show repairs (in advance of taking it to Derby Show on 6th & 7th May). I have tried a new method of maintenance to the connector pins used in jumpers around the layout which hopefully will reduce the common fault of female pins pushing out causing dead sections and points not to throw. Don't forget this year the layout is 27 years old.

Today I have completed faults to 3 dead sections in the fiddle yard which were broken wires off the connector pins. Everything is now working except one point throw in the West Yard which is on a point that doesn't get used much, but is my next task to investigate.

post-1373-0-06516800-1492270499_thumb.jpg

The few scenic repairs are done and stock repairs mostly done. I am looking at running a few different trains at Derby and have started testing them to ensure they run ok.

Other shows this year are Shenfield on 16th September and Barrow on 14th & 15th October (note corrected date).

Cheers.

• Like 17

• 3 weeks later...

The layout was taken down today, all faults have been fixed and maintenance completed. Some trains have been exchanged, and the new mail train has been tested (see below).

post-1373-0-53818000-1493839964_thumb.jpg

All is ready for attending the Derby Show this weekend.

I have a special guest operator for Sunday, and my London crew for the weekend.

Cheers.

• Like 14

Recovering from the weekend at the Roundhouse Derby. Had a very enjoyable time, but didn't start well with one trailer tyre shreading on the M1. Quickly sorted but surprised after changing 2 tyres after Glasgow show, with the other 2 about 2 to 3 years old. I don't think the tyres like sitting on the paved drive in the sun all year round (getting used max 5 times a year).

The layout performed well with 3 points playing up one way sorted late Sat, broken wire, suspect female pin in connector and don't know but started working. On Sunday no faults at all which was encouraging. Only issues were human errors! New mail train ran and looked good.

Had new operator only 20 years old, the layout had been on the circuit for 7 years before he was born! He is the son of a sometimes respected operator of mine. Had a slightly older operator on Sunday my good friend George who was born many years before my previous layout Maidstone Barracks was built!

Show was good and facilities very good, what a site to hold a show. I was proud to be the last exhibit to leave the venue (I was not one of the small layouts). Picture by Mike C.

post-1373-0-89052700-1494336314_thumb.jpg

Having a slight rest before starting a new layout for my home show at the end of July, what a fool I am!

Cheers.

Edited by Lyddrail
  • Like 9

Paul, was there on Sunday layout looked excellent as ever the only comment was that it would have been nice to have chairs around the outside so,you can sit and watch the trains go by very enjoyable

Good to hear Sunday was trouble free.

Like I said to you Saturday if you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all.

There were some interesting train formations giving me some food for thought.

Glad you made it back home ok.

Steve.

Paul, was there on Sunday layout looked excellent as ever the only comment was that it would have been nice to have chairs around the outside so,you can sit and watch the trains go by very enjoyable

Gary,

I must have missed you. There was space really to have chairs in front of the layout, that is a good idea.

Cheers.

Good to hear Sunday was trouble free.

Like I said to you Saturday if you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all.

There were some interesting train formations giving me some food for thought.

Glad you made it back home ok.

Steve.

Steve,

I have now had 3 good traffic problem free journeys down the M1 in a row. Only idiots in the wrong lane of any concern. I could do with some good luck.

Cheers.

Gary,

I must have missed you. There was space really to have chairs in front of the layout, that is a good idea.

Cheers.

Paul

You were deep in conversation behind the stand, came back later but you were not on the stand.

Standing at the right had side of the layout looking along the yard and you could really see why the layout works so well operationally.

With two running lines at the front the operator just keep something moving and there was always such a variety. He was listening to a couple at the front  and was responding to their comments, all the while the other operator was shunting the yard. Something was always happening somewhere.

From that vantage point could have easily have sat there all afternoon given the light coming into the hall made fro a good atmosphere if you had a flask of tea and some sandwiches it would have been just watching real trains going by.

Paul

You were deep in conversation behind the stand, came back later but you were not on the stand.

Standing at the right had side of the layout looking along the yard and you could really see why the layout works so well operationally.

With two running lines at the front the operator just keep something moving and there was always such a variety. He was listening to a couple at the front  and was responding to their comments, all the while the other operator was shunting the yard. Something was always happening somewhere.

From that vantage point could have easily have sat there all afternoon given the light coming into the hall made fro a good atmosphere if you had a flask of tea and some sandwiches it would have been just watching real trains going by.

Gary,

Thanks. I designed the layout for the reasons you stated to have 3 operators meaning it was unlucky for nothing to be happening on the front.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

I am busy preparing Lydd Rail 2017 which has 11 challenge small layouts plus celebrating Railfreight Sectors 30th. I hope to start building my challenge layout this weekend, all materials purchased and planned out to scale ready for the off.

After last year's NSE 30th celebration it seemed a good Idea to paint the other side of the mobile home, see below for current progress.

post-1373-0-68776100-1495796169_thumb.jpg

I will post details of the new layout as it makes progress.

Cheers.

• Like 14

Looking good Paul, it would be good with the yard depot plaque that you devised for Tonbridge under the far window.

Steve,

I didn't think of that! I have a Tim Horn plaque to collect at Showcase.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I am busy preparing Lydd Rail 2017 which has 11 challenge small layouts plus celebrating Railfreight Sectors 30th. I hope to start building my challenge layout this weekend, all materials purchased and planned out to scale ready for the off.

After last year's NSE 30th celebration it seemed a good Idea to paint the other side of the mobile home, see below for current progress.

attachicon.gifRF mobile home 2017.jpg

Cheers.

That is awesome. When i was at school, I painted my bicycle in inter city executive livery lol, but that is just stunning :)

• Like 1

Ok I'll admit it here

Me and a mate painted our bikes BR blue with yellow forks and yellow trailing arms back in the early 80s. They even had TOPS numbers on and my tyre pump had a Pinza name plate sticker on it.

Those were the days.

• Like 3

attachicon.gifRF mobile home 2017.jpg

Cheers.

Looking good Paul.

Is it getting renumbered from the thumper to a crompton?

Cheers

Carl

Looking good Paul.

Is it getting renumbered from the thumper to a crompton?

Cheers

Carl

Carl,

Thanks. I don't think it will be numbered as the number would go the other end of the side, and cab fronts very rarely had the numbers repeated. Not certain yet.

Cheers.

Paul,

Glad to hear that you will be popping up t' midlands again, duck.  Looks like there's going to be plenty of talking to do.  I might come round for a play on Sheepcroft if Stu will let me loose on it again - The momentum settings caught me out the last time and some buffer stops were tested out - I'm getting more and more like my dad everyday :O.  Still, running in to buffer stops doesn't beat knocking TWY's footbridge off with an uncoupler attached to a moving Crompton!  It's all this 4mm stuff you see, I should probably stick to N gauge.  Keep an eye on the classifieds chaps: ***Unfinished P4 layout for sale*** - Operator incapable of carrying out simple hand-eye co-ordination tasks.  I'll go and bother Mr. Farmer and see if I can play with his train set instead then! :locomotive:

Moving on, the Early Arrivals' (freeloaders') Abode is looking smashing, stunning even, and I'm sure that Mr. Ansell will be looking forward to being munched on by the entire marsh mosquito population whilst sleeping in it again - The mozzies do love a bit of George! :sarcastic: I think I'll have to bring the spray again and nuke the place before bedtime.

See you all in a week.

Cheers, Andy.

• Like 1

Paul,

Glad to hear that you will be popping up t' midlands again, duck.  Looks like there's going to be plenty of talking to do.  I might come round for a play on Sheepcroft if Stu will let me loose on it again - The momentum settings caught me out the last time and some buffer stops were tested out - I'm getting more and more like my dad everyday :O.  Still, running in to buffer stops doesn't beat knocking TWY's footbridge off with an uncoupler attached to a moving Crompton!  It's all this 4mm stuff you see, I should probably stick to N gauge.  Keep an eye on the classifieds chaps: ***Unfinished P4 layout for sale*** - Operator incapable of carrying out simple hand-eye co-ordination tasks.  I'll go and bother Mr. Farmer and see if I can play with his train set instead then! :locomotive:

Moving on, the Early Arrivals' (freeloaders') Abode is looking smashing, stunning even, and I'm sure that Mr. Ansell will be looking forward to being munched on by the entire marsh mosquito population whilst sleeping in it again - The mozzies do love a bit of George! :sarcastic: I think I'll have to bring the spray again and nuke the place before bedtime.

See you all in a week.

Cheers, Andy.

Andrew

If you want to come and have a go on my layout feel free.

yes nuke the early arrivals abode before bedtime it seemd to work last year. Isnt that Tuesday this year.

see you next weekend

Steve

• Like 1