Should we have some different "buttons"?

The the nine current "buttons" are all, with two exceptions, are kind, friendly, supportive, etc. Looking at several topics recently, I didn't find myself totally in agreement with what was being said but didn't want to go into a lengthy reply.

Would it be beneficial to have two or three that give the opportunity to express a different view without posting a response? e.g.

• I don't see it that way.
  • Oh no, not again! (when a commonly repeated view/comment is trotted out for the n'th time)
  • Nice, but!

I know the "Disagree" button is there (and no doubt someone will use it here), but it does seem to create rather a negative reaction when used and perhaps something softer might work better and give a more balanced picture. After all, we don't want too much sycophantic agreeing with everything, do we? That's not real life is like.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

In my opinion the 'disagree' button is the most often abused. If I disagree with anything said on RMweb I write my reason for disagreeing rather than click on a button and on the odd occasion that I have clicked on the disagree button more often or not I have explained why. If this button was done away with it would force people to explain why they disagree instead of taking the easy way out by just clicking on a button.

There are frequent requests for a groan button, on the 'joke' thread in particular, perhaps this could replace the 'dislike' button.

• RMweb Premium

I would prefer there to be slightly fewer buttons.  

Freedom (within house rules) to speak and express opinions is good and I don't expect everyone to agree or support every post or opinion by any means.

We are at liberty to disagree though constructive arguments from another viewpoint or pointing out errors of fact count more for me than simply pressing a "Disagree" button.

There are thankfully few posts which get or deserve an "Incomprehensible" feedback; those which there are can be attributed at times to members who might not speak English as their first language or who might be otherwise challenged in terms of expressing themselves in type.

Sometimes there is a genuine mishit of a "negative" button which can upset the poster; there is always an option to withdraw or change the rating but in my experience this is not often done.

It is too easy to misinterpret a genuinely well-intentioned member who has a substantial negative rating simply because many others choose to disagree with them.  I could, for example, attract a huge negative vote under a reworked system by asserting "Bulleid was best".  Many will disagree.  But it could open an informed discussion for example.

I would do away with the "Undecipherable" and possibly combine "Friendly / Supportive" and "Agree" into "Agree / Support".  But only fix it if it's broken.  Otherwise the system works adequately as it is.

I don't see it that way, Jol. I never use the disagree or unintelligible buttons, I either respond to say why or ignore it. Now, you'll have noticed that I think your first option still needs a response to say why I see it differently. Same with your 'Nice, but!',surely that would be better as a response saying 'but what? I do, however have some sympathy with your 'Oh no, not again!'

I reckon the only new button we need is "Sorry, I didn't mean to press that button", located at the far right for the benefit of thick-thumbed Ipad users.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

I don't see it that way, Jol. I never use the disagree or unintelligible buttons, I either respond to say why or ignore it. Now, you'll have noticed that I think your first option still needs a response to say why I see it differently. Same with your 'Nice, but!',surely that would be better as a response saying 'but what? I do, however have some sympathy with your 'Oh no, not again!'

I reckon the only new button we need is "Sorry, I didn't mean to press that button", located at the far right for the benefit of thick-thumbed Ipad users.

Nick

Hey!! Don't call my thumb thick! Some say it's the most intelligent part of me.....

Ian 

Nick

Nick,

you can always use the "Undo Rating" option, I've done it on several occassions.

Like PhilJ W I usually write a response if I disagree with another person's posting, but there are times when I feel that there is little point and simply want to express a polite "I don't share that view" response.

I agree that the Disagree rating button usually appears to create a pretty negative impact and was thinking of some things that might appear less antagonistic.

While it is possible to sit in a pub and have a polite discussion on a topic without noses getting put out of joint, it seems less possible on t'interweb.

As for the questions.jpg button, perhaps it should say "Can you rewrite that please, I don't get your meaning".

Jol

I occasionally find myself looking for a button marked "Prat".....

In similar vein I've long thought a 'Tw*t' button would be good, if you get more that 10 'Twats' on a thread it would barr you from posting to that thread again, can't think when I first started to feel the need for such a device, - I think it must have been something to do with Dapol O gauge wagons!

Note : interesting I can't write Tw*t but can write Twats on this software, must have been written by a Tw*t.

The the nine current "buttons" are all, with two exceptions, are kind, friendly, supportive, etc. Looking at several topics recently, I didn't find myself totally in agreement with what was being said but didn't want to go into a lengthy reply.

Would it be beneficial to have two or three that give the opportunity to express a different view without posting a response? e.g.

• I don't see it that way.
  • Oh no, not again! (when a commonly repeated view/comment is trotted out for the n'th time)
  • Nice, but!

I know the "Disagree" button is there (and no doubt someone will use it here), but it does seem to create rather a negative reaction when used and perhaps something softer might work better and give a more balanced picture. After all, we don't want too much sycophantic agreeing with everything, do we? That's not real life is like.

Jol

Sorry, Jol, you said about the disagree button and someone had to do it deliberately!!!!   :jester:

Phil

I would agree that the 'disagree' button is perhaps not a good thing and it is red rag to a bull (I am as guilty as many others with that).

But if you are indicating any form of disagreement, is it worth pressing the button at all if you aren't going to explain why? If you cannot do that person the courtesy of explaining your alternative viewpoint, should you be making any indication with a button?

I don't mind people disagreeing with me (go on- I know you all will now you've read that), but I think it only manners to justify why.

I wasn't a huge fan of the idea of buttons, but on other forums I would now quite like to be able to quickly agree or thank someone. much easier than writing a short response which basically says nothing and moves the topic to the top of the list for everyone else.

the disagree button is fine if it's a clear black/white statement ("the GWR is the best", for example, although who would disagree with that??? :angel: ), but less useful if the post contains lots of different points or is more open-ended. I think this argues either for the elimination of the disagree button, or the expansion to include other 'negative' but more expressive responses...

I also vote for a 'groan' button. would certainly come in handy, and not just on the Jokes thread! ;)

actually, an even better idea, why not less us respond to a post using only emoticons. :sungum:

Sometimes it is difficult as well to choose what particular button is suitable. A choice of any two buttons perhaps? But then it won't be long before someone picks both 'like' and 'dislike' I suppose.

An "I don't know which button to press" button would solve that one ;)

Yes, Jol, but the problem is that some folk don't seem to notice that they've pressed it unintentionally when scrollong on an ipad or similar.

Nick

Correct. I've posted this before, I once returned to a thread, noticed a disagree on an existing post and thought 'what clown left that?' Clicked on it to find that it was me, seriously.

Very easy to do when quickly scrolling on an iPad and, unless you spot it as you do it, there is no way that you can subsequently check where you have left a rating.

In my opinion the 'disagree' button is the most often abused.....................

Same here!

It is my opinion that it is allows the 'disagreer' an ability to respond 'without face'.

I wonder how many people expressing 'disagreement' with a button would do so face to face in person?

I have tried to choose these words carefully to preclude disagreement. :nono:

surely there is some call for 'gauge war' buttons, which would certainly free up a lot of server space:

- OO is better than P4

- P4 is better than OO

etc.

:no: :jester:

Can we have a button for Flange Size please?

Normally I have would have a bet with myself on how long it would be before a topic turns into a wishlist for the RTR enthusiasts. Now I tend to wonder how long it is before someone raises the humorous topic of which 4mm gauge standard is best or makes a joke about the size of their flange.

Correct. I've posted this before, I once returned to a thread, noticed a disagree on an existing post and thought 'what clown left that?' Clicked on it to find that it was me, seriously.

Very easy to do when quickly scrolling on an iPad and, unless you spot it as you do it, there is no way that you can subsequently check where you have left a rating.

The only way I could really do it to shift the buttons away a little would be to put a blank icon in which triggers a 'some clown hit the blank space on his ipad' category; maybe a second blank icon to the left of that one with 'Jeez, this guys got really fat thumbs'. ;)

On other forums I use I do miss having a selection of buttons and end up pressing nothing at all as 'Like' isn't necessarily appropriate; despite the sneery disparaging comments made by some at the time I think they've served their purpose well and I'm probably tending towards doing away with the disagree button as there are *some* who use it to excess and I'd probably be saving them from themselves to a degree. They've allowed a lot of useful feedback and motivation for some folk to gauge the popularity of what they do without the place getting excessively bogged down.

I still need to think of a way of dealing with door-handles in this context without them running off crying to mummy that their human rights have been abused by all the nasty people out there.

Archived