Should we have some different "buttons"?

• RMweb Gold

Rather than a full .fatthumb class an additional couple of menu items in the list which only contain spaces (&bnsp) should work - far simpler and easier to test ( as a professional, qualified software tester ).

• RMweb Gold

Rather than a full .fatthumb class an additional couple of menu items in the list which only contain spaces (&bnsp) should work - far simpler and easier to test ( as a professional, qualified software tester ).

Good call. Just one additional list item with enough spaces would do it. Where's the K.I.S.S. button?

A 'Verbal diarrhea' button along the bottom wouldn't be out of place.......

mmm... not sure about that - here, by way of example, is some 'verbal diarrhoea':

Wife (who used to be an English teacher) absentmindedly wrote  sp in the margin of my daughter's report alongside a lengthy (mispelt) teacher's comments. Poor daughter collected an earful when she had to  return her report back to school at the start of the new term. :triniti:

dh

If the right to express disagreement anonymously (or at least, w/o the burden of being forced to explain the disagreeing) is taken away permanently, I'm out! 

It's really about time Andy steps in and make clear what he thinks/wants and what Warner's position is in this rift. 

OK; let me put it this way.

If you have two fractious children beating each other over the head with rubber hammers do you....

a.) let them carry on doing it in the belief that they will stop doing it and develop more sedate traits?

b.) explain to them that using blunt implements to make a hierarchical assertion is less likely to produce a harmonious outcome than rational and courteous discourse?

c.) take their toys off them and show that if they can't behave responsibly they'll have to put up with repercussions.

At various time a.) and b.) maybe tried if you're feeling so inclined but the default parental position is c.) as it means a bit of peace and quiet and involves less fruitless effort. :P

• RMweb Gold

ask as a change would be the ability for people to post, and read postings, in their native language - possibly using a well-known internet translation service.

Unfortunately, that well-known internet translation service is pretty awful, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it for translating anything posted on RMweb.

If you have two fractious children beating each other over the head with rubber hammers do you....

a.) let them carry on doing it in the belief that they will stop doing it and develop more sedate traits?

b.) explain to them that using blunt implements to make a hierarchical assertion is less likely to produce a harmonious outcome than rational and courteous discourse?

c.) take their toys off them and show that if they can't behave responsibly they'll have to put up with repercussions.

At various time a.) and b.) maybe tried if you're feeling so inclined but the default parental position is c.) as it means a bit of peace and quiet and involves less fruitless effort. :P

d.) take the toys and hit both children really hard with them.

Ed

• RMweb Gold

d.) take the toys and hit both children really hard with them.

Subtle - probably slightly illegal - but I'm sure it would leave a lasting impression on both of them.

In all honesty, I was just hoping that nobody here seriously suggested an even more subtle alternative, along the lines of:

e)    Issue said brats with claw hammers - leave the room - close the door behind you - and have the blood spattered bully who finally emerges arrested for the other one's murder.

I don't know why, but I'm wondering if I might have seen too many of those "Peperami" TV adverts.

I might even have read "The Godfather" once or twice too often - who knows?

All I know is that Andy has become aware of stuff going on that he doesn't much care for. As a result, he's taken sensible steps to stop trouble in its tracks.

This sounds reasonable to me.

Huw.

I'm looking for a button which says "I can't believe this thread has got to 10 pages" to save me typing it.

Ah, I think I just negated my own argument...

And I've now made it 11 pages - damn!

The folly of less intervention by Moderators in this area perhaps. It seems that as soon as a thread goes off-topic, the more people that join in... 

• RMweb Premium

The folly of less intervention by Moderators in this area perhaps. It seems that as soon as a thread goes off-topic, the more people that join in... 

But the thread has more or less stayed on topic, and the mods have been known to intervene when the needle gets stuck as well, as seems to be the case here. Quite honestly now that Andy has made his point I see no reason for not locking this thread.

Archived