Should we have some different "buttons"?

• RMweb Gold

As you can see, I've (for the first time) used the disagree button....

The pros for keeping the 'see red' button are probably many. I will say, in it's defence, that it shows who thinks what, and when.

Door handles? I'd think more of a pram, fitted with a Martindale, just for teddy......

Ian

PS. You may disagree with this....

• RMweb Gold

It's about time we had buttons like these in the magazines. Who else has read a letter and gone to click the like or agree button, or worse the reply button, only to realise it's all paper based.

As you can see, I've (for the first time) used the disagree button....

The pros for keeping the 'see red' button are probably many. I will say, in it's defence, that it shows who thinks what, and when.

Door handles? I'd think more of a pram, fitted with a Martindale, just for teddy......

Ian

PS. You may disagree with this....

Request or suggestion or.....Is that a ruse just to get a lot of disagrees?

• RMweb Premium

Since the introduction of the buttons I've found them in the main useful. There could of course be more, or less, depending on your point of view. I find it saves writing 'me too' type posts, at least.

I agree that if one is to use either the 'indecipherable' or 'disagree' buttons, then some kind of explanation in a posting would be good manners.

• RMweb Gold

I've only ever had a single "disagree" against one of my posts, clearly by someone who

1) had undergone a sense of humour bypass operation, or

2) didn't know his British locomotive history, or

3) both of the above.

My vote therefore goes to Ian's suggestion for a Prat button ;)

• RMweb Premium

Come to that, I can only recall using the 'disagree' button without an explanation on only a few occasions, this usually if the thread has been locked making it impossible to reply, often the thread has been locked due to the very post I disagree with.

I noticed that my entry at around #28 got several likes or funny's but was removed while I was asleep watching Emmerdale. There must be a virtual easily offended button.....  :scratchhead:

Post 25 is still there, didn't see anything after that.

I noticed that my entry at around #28 got several likes or funny's but was removed while I was asleep watching Emmerdale. There must be a virtual easily offended button.....  :scratchhead:

Are you sure you didn't fall asleep before pressing Post?

The thing about hitting the disagree button and not replying to say why is that you can sit there smugly knowing that the original poster has no opportunity for retribution.  (Unless they serve up a dish of cold revenge on an unrelated post).

Should we have a range of buttons that can be used against a "disagree" or even against another member - ranging from a polite "I can't possibly understand why you might disagree" (playful puppy button) to a "come here and say that" (handbag symbol) button?

Please don't disagree.  It hurts my feelings.

I would agree that the 'disagree' button is perhaps not a good thing and it is red rag to a bull (I am as guilty as many others with that).

But if you are indicating any form of disagreement, is it worth pressing the button at all if you aren't going to explain why? If you cannot do that person the courtesy of explaining your alternative viewpoint, should you be making any indication with a button?

I don't mind people disagreeing with me (go on- I know you all will now you've read that), but I think it only manners to justify why.

I don't think it's about courtesy or manners in the way you have presented it.

The primary purpose of the buttons is either to thank/praise people, or to avoid us all having to wade through a swamp of "me, too!" posts. If I disagree with you, and someone else who also disagreed has already given you the same reasons, what earthly purpose does it serve for me to type all that out again? And why would anyone want to read it?

Instead, the number of "disagrees" gives you a simple (and useful) indication of whether you're carrying the forum with you or whether you are encountering stiff resistance! I've recently posted a few times in defence of box shifters and direct selling by manufacturers, which I expected to be badly received but which felt important for me to express given what I perceived to be the one-sidedness of the debate. I don't think I would have thought people more courteous if I received twenty posts telling me I was an idiot rather than just a couple of posts and 20 "disagrees"...

Paul

Archived