Should we have some different "buttons"?

• RMweb Gold

There are occasions when I would like to use the Disagree button in a positive context, because a post has been over-modest about the poster's model/technique/achievements. I want a one-button response that says "On the contrary, sir, your idea/model/method is absolutely brill". Sadly the negative connotation that accompanies the Disagree button means it gets no use from me for that purpose. Pity.

• RMweb Gold

This may seem an unusual request but will you “disagree” with this post please?

Recently I have found myself being obsessed with not getting a 'negative' rating and that has started to affect when and how forcefully I answer a post – if at all.

(I genuinely want to help but I have the strength of will of a puppy!)

I would like(sic) more than 20 disagrees please. That way I will not really notice when I have (earned) a new Disagree.

I have no wish to be made out as a bad boy on RMweb by having a large “Negative” score but I feel all can only benefit by me losing this obsession.

I could say something nasty to help spur you on but I am really not like that.

Thanks in advance.

Kev.

Oh ok then, if you are sure it will help :- “Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries”.

There are occasions when I would like to use the Disagree button in a positive context, because a post has been over-modest about the poster's model/technique/achievements. I want a one-button response that says "On the contrary, sir, your idea/model/method is absolutely brill". Sadly the negative connotation that accompanies the Disagree button means it gets no use from me for that purpose. Pity.

Perhaps you have provided the answer yourself here, as I am sure the recipient would be well pleased to read such a pleasant and encouraging response rather than a cold button indicator...

• RMweb Premium

I don't think it's about courtesy or manners in the way you have presented it.

The primary purpose of the buttons is either to thank/praise people, or to avoid us all having to wade through a swamp of "me, too!" posts. If I disagree with you, and someone else who also disagreed has already given you the same reasons, what earthly purpose does it serve for me to type all that out again? And why would anyone want to read it?

Instead, the number of "disagrees" gives you a simple (and useful) indication of whether you're carrying the forum with you or whether you are encountering stiff resistance! I've recently posted a few times in defence of box shifters and direct selling by manufacturers, which I expected to be badly received but which felt important for me to express given what I perceived to be the one-sidedness of the debate. I don't think I would have thought people more courteous if I received twenty posts telling me I was an idiot rather than just a couple of posts and 20 "disagrees"...

Paul

If someone writes a post disagreeing with a point made in another post that I also disagree with, I press 'agree' to that post rather than 'disagree' to the original post. I don't like using the 'disagree' button as I see it as cowardly.

I confess to not having fully comprehended the negative connotations of the "disagree" button - and to a lesser degree the "?" button.

So I have used both when I do actually disagree with an assertion - or genuinely don't understand a post. This has sparked several enjoyably informative PM exchanges.

An occasional use ironically has been with 2 or 3 RM posters who are also personal friends.

But I will have to mend my manners :pardon: .

dh

On some of the longer photo threads, we perhaps need to teach a few people how to use the "Like" button instead of adding yet another post saying nothing more than "Great photos!"

On the accidental "fat fingers" triggering of the disagree, would it be possible to move the line of buttons in from the right with some padding from the edge of the screen? Unfortunately I don't know how to measure the width of my finger in pixels. Or possibly in line with and to the left of the "Report/Multiquote/Reply quoting this post" buttons?

Like this:

post-6971-0-08216400-1422564945.png

(please don't try clicking them!)

I quite like people to Disagree with me...

There is nothing really bad about people openly showing they are wrong

:D

325??? You must like it a lot, Mickey. I thought my tally was on the high side...

...I still need to think of a way of dealing with door-handles in this context without them running off crying to mummy that their human rights have been abused by all the nasty people out there.

Permit me to suggest that the disagree button doesn't leave anything on the post but instead be another way of generating a  'reply to' form, quoting the post, and a user inaccesible header 'I disagree because'.

No we don't need more buttons - certainly not the 'dislike' button which I believe is the disabled one.

I don't know why some people get so worked up about the 'disagree' button.

It's certainly polite to offer an explanation when it is used, otherwise the original poster might be confused but too much is made of it. Sometimes people are wrong. It might even be accurate to say that everyone is wrong sometimes and when an opinion is offered, a contrary opinion is almost inevitable.

There are times when I'd like to use the agree button but don't - primarily when someone says two things, one of which I agree with but not the other. There's no solution here.

The only button I hear people consistently as for is the 'groan' button. I don't want that either.

One not mentioned so far is a polite "Excuse me folks but were drifting slightly off topic here" button,

but the other thing you could do Andy is re-write the software so if any one presses the Disagree button it automatically opens a  "Reply to this topic" box and wont let you do anything else until you explain why.

• RMweb Gold
Londontram, on 31 Jan 2015 - 08:58, said:

One not mentioned so far is a polite "Excuse me folks but were drifting slightly off topic here" button,

I can think of one very convivial thread - laced with first class modelling - where the wandering subject matter will be addressed by the OP posting "Topic Reset" and we all fall into line. Sometimes.

• RMweb Gold

I can think of one very convivial thread - laced with first class modelling - where the wandering subject matter will be addressed by the OP posting "Topic Reset" and we all fall into line. Sometimes.

Ah yes, the caravan & choir thread.

Archived