Should we have some different "buttons"?

I wouldn't suggest using an Amazon to make sandwiches, my wife would get jealous, and then there's the whole women and kitchen can of worms to deal with!

My odds are on an Amazon drone showing up with your sandwiches well before Princess Diana of Themyscira in her invisible P51 does.

• RMweb Premium

The 'disagree' button would be more helpful if the forum etiquette expected a suitably corrective post from the voter. As it stands, it is too much of a 'me too' button.

- Richard.

Definitely  a 'Boris is banned' button.

More of a rubber band

I agree with the above :)

I would sit on the fence but last time I did that I got splinters in my bum and next doors dog pulled the leg off my trousers and the denizens of Rmweb really don't want to see that at this time on a Sunday morning, speaking of which I am off to a toy soldiers show so try not to let the forum catch fire in my absence but if somebody wants to do my laundry I'll leave it in a huge heap outside the staff room

The 'disagree' button would be more helpful if the forum etiquette expected a suitably corrective post from the voter. As it stands, it is too much of a 'me too' button.

- Richard.

That's exactly why I like it (and the other buttons) - to save endless tiresome "me, too!" posts. Which really are just "me, me, me" posts, adding little to the thread.

Are our egos really that fragile that some anonymous person clicking a "disagree" button is taken as an aggressive affront to our sense of self?

Paul

In reply to the OP... "should we have some different buttons?"... okay. Fair question, but isn't that just change for the sake of change and therefore rather meaningless? It's not that long ago that there were no buttons at all and the forum seemed to tick along rather nicely. There were certainly arguments before the "Disagree" button came into being. Removing the opportunity for someone to disagree then walk away without explanation isn't going to make the rain stop and the sun shine... I think Fenman's quite right that forcing people to post "I disagree with you because <insert reason here>" could become a little tedious and add nothing to the thread. I also agree that some people have rather fragile egos and I sympathise even if I don't understand, but does getting a "disagree" or an "indecipherable" really matter...?

RMWeb has been witness to some explosive tantrums before and since the introduction of the buttons and I don't think there's anything that can be done to prevent that.

Chill out and drink some tea or do some modelling.

• RMweb Premium

That's exactly why I like it (and the other buttons) - to save endless tiresome "me, too!" posts. Which really are just "me, me, me" posts, adding little to the thread.

Are our egos really that fragile that some anonymous person clicking a "disagree" button is taken as an aggressive affront to our sense of self?

Paul

I think, where the disagree button is really irksome is after you post say three ideas in three sentences. Suppose there are two statements of fact and one of opinion. It's fairly natural to assume that a positive voter is agreeing with everything you have written. But the meaning of a 'disagree' vote is usually ambiguous. If someone hits the disagree button and writes a follow-up post to explain why, it would be more helpful if any following readers who want to express a similar point of view use a positive button to agree to the corrective suggestion.

Me - I liked the original 'like' button, it seemed enough to me.

- Richard.

• RMweb Premium

The use of the Disagree button against an opinion is one thing, but when used against a verifiable statement of fact is something else. I did it once by mistake when using my tablet and scrolling down the page. I later corrected the error. However, even when disagreeing with an opinion, explaining your different point of view is helpful.

Once, I pointed out an error in a post and the poster corrected his post and then gave me a disagree! I do not believe is was done in jest either.

I once pointed out an error in a post, the poster agreed with me, corrected the error and apologised (which IMHO was not necessary). Almost a year later I received a 'disagree' from someone else to my post with the correction! The member concerned, who was a recent member at the time has made very few if any posts since and now may be no longer a member.

...Are our egos really that fragile that some anonymous person clicking a "disagree" button is taken as an aggressive affront to our sense of self?

It's not so much fragile egos as plain good manners. The disagree button is just a form of heckling from the back of the room. If you've sufficient interest in what is said, express your views in a reply. If not, keep quiet. If we all did that, there'd be no point in having the button.

...Removing the opportunity for someone to disagree then walk away without explanation isn't going to make the rain stop and the sun shine...

Of course it isn't, but if we only did things that made improvements in the weather we'd get very little done.

Aren't "Like" and "Agree" the same thing, just different ways of expressing it ?

No, they are quite different, but maybe there's a clue here. Perhaps there are some folk here who don't know the difference between agree and disagree.

Nick

The only way I could really do it to shift the buttons away a little would be to put a blank icon in which triggers a 'some clown hit the blank space on his ipad' category; maybe a second blank icon to the left of that one with 'Jeez, this guys got really fat thumbs'. ;)

We'll give this a test for a week or so as I did see quite a few 'drive-by' Disagrees yesterday from known trouble-makers.

It's not so much fragile egos as plain good manners. The disagree button is just a form of heckling from the back of the room. If you've sufficient interest in what is said, express your views in a reply. If not, keep quiet. If we all did that, there'd be no point in having the button. ...

I think that's nonsense - unless you also think the "agree" button is no more than heckling from the back of the room, and everyone who presses it should, as a matter of good manners, explain precisely what they agree with. Even if the same thing has already been said dozens of times before...

It's got nothing to do with "plain good manners".

Paul

Well, Paul, at least you had the good manners to reply, or was it just that Andy removed the button before you had a chance to use it?

Nick

It wasn't good manners that prompted me: merely that no-one else had before stated the view that the disagree button was mere heckling (while, presumably, the agree button was sage input from very wise people!).

Had someone else already made the point I would simply have disagreed with you. Why should I take up more of people's time in those circumstances to expect them to read the same old bobbins all over again?

Paul

Archived