Should we have some different "buttons"?

• RMweb Gold

I think we should be allowed to hit two buttons.

I just did - I managed to hit 'Like' twice in quick succession so you got two 'Likes' but only one name against them (It's amazing what you find out when you have tremors in your fingers.  Like all great discoveries I came across it by accident - or rather by a touch of finger tremor.  Mind you it's not so much fun if the tremors start when you're holding a soldering iron and it can be a bit disconcerting at the dining table when you start your knife or fork clattering away on the edge of the plate and not realise it's happening.)

I just did - I managed to hit 'Like' twice in quick succession so you got two 'Likes' but only one name against them (It's amazing what you find out when you have tremors in your fingers.  Like all great discoveries I came across it by accident - or rather by a touch of finger tremor.  Mind you it's not so much fun if the tremors start when you're holding a soldering iron and it can be a bit disconcerting at the dining table when you start your knife or fork clattering away on the edge of the plate and not realise it's happening.)

Fascinating. I tried double-clicking the "Informative" button and got told off... "You have already rated this content". Oh well. Worth a try!

• RMweb Premium

You know what? I can't be *rsed anymore. Why the h&ll should I been taken the p!ss off for the silent majority* of Britons, while I'm not even a native English speaker? :rolleyes:

*there's 30 (max!) of you complaining about the Disagree button and the fact that you MUST explain yourself if you use it. OK, maybe 60 of you have complained. Out of 25,000+ members :rolleyes:

Compared to how many want it reinstated? About 3 by my calculation.

• RMweb Premium

Being the holder of the most Disagree hits by far I made my point clear earlier in the thread

The more people are willing to show up their lack of knowledge and generla "wrongness" of approach the better to me :)

I just wish they would expand on the reasons why they are wrong ;)

Its ok to disagree with  any facts - they are, after all, just interpretable notions........Its when people start to  disagree with my opinioins that I cant often understand what they are on about; and therefore need enlightening on the matters ;)

By the same token, some people mark posts as 'funny', when they were intended as serious. So why shouldn't people have to justify, why they think a post is 'funny' too? This justification idea, goes too far. IMO.

• RMweb Gold

I thought I'd write a funny post,

that'd make you laugh (or cry)

then someone hit the disagree

I can't imagine why...

That made me very irksome,

and so it came to pass,

you can take your bl**dy opinion,

and shove it up your A.....

(words removed here.........)

• RMweb Premium

I found the 'disagree' rating useful as it tells me that not everyone agrees with me all the time. In that sense at least I know my opinions have some meaning that others care enough about to react to, rather than just being on the receiving end of purely positive comments, or even indifference.

• RMweb Premium

Although I am glad to see the back of the 'disagree' button this is one of the few threads where it would have been useful. Useful in the sense that this thread is all about opinions and a 'disagree' is often all that is required.

• RMweb Gold
PhilJ W, on 08 Feb 2015 - 12:08, said:

Although I am glad to see the back of the 'disagree' button this is one of the few threads where it would have been useful. Useful in the sense that this thread is all about opinions and a 'disagree' is often all that is required.

Even though you then risk a virtual smack in the mouth from some for daring to disagree!

• RMweb Gold

I always thought an  "I don't care what the facts are, it works fine on my layout"  button would save a lot of typing.

It'll be a lot easier to fit it in as  "Rule 1" :)

I  about to offer my opinion, that you may or may not agree with-

I view any web forum or social site as a virtual pub, and behave accordingly.

I normally use the 'Like' button when I like some modelling, or a post that I find informative or mildly amusing.

I normally use the 'Agree' button when I agree with a post - a short-hand way of saying "me too".

I have used the 'Thanks' button to acknowledge an answer to a question or request that I have posted.

I have used the 'Craftmanship/clever' button to recognise some very good, imaginative modelling.

I have used the 'Informative' button when a post has educated me in some way, but has not been a direct response to a post of mine.

I have used the 'Funny' button on post that I have found funny - including some on this thread.

I have used the 'friendly/supportive' button to show support to posters when they have informed us of some trying personal, or modelling, circumstances - a sort of digital hug.

I have used the 'Uncipherable' button when I have found a post to be hard to understand, either because of the grammar used, or the proliferation of technical terms.*

I have used the 'disagree' button when I have disagreed with a post, normally when something has been posted as fact but I believe it to be wrong - in those instances, I normally post my reasons, addressed to whomever I disagree with.

I do miss the two buttons that have gone, I agree that the technical ability is there to move them over to the left - to avoid " i-pad thumb", the only thing that I would ask as a change would be the ability for people to post, and read postings, in their native language - possibly using a well-known internet translation service.

By the way, with the missing buttons gone, please excuse my spelling of one of them. (unintended consequence?)

• RMweb Gold

Just done a quick test of the "iPad Fat Thumb Fix" whilst doing some of my own website work. All that needs doing is adding the following CSS to either the header of the page template or into one of the stylesheets:

<style>
            .fatthumb {
            float:right;
            width:60px;
            }
        </style>

Then on the page template, insert the div block just before the part where the list of buttons is generated. My initial assessment of adding the block after the buttons was wrong, as they are also floated right, so the block needs to come first.

</ul>
                 <div class="fatthumb"> </div>
                    <ul class='ipsList_inline right ratings'>

You then end up with this (block highlighted in red on my test code so you can see where it sits):

post-7355-0-48787300-1423402415.png

Proper testing across browsers and devices aside, I reckon that would be sufficient to stop accidental button pushing and remove the need for blank buttons that do nothing but still appear on a post if accidentally hit.

Just done a quick test of the "iPad Fat Thumb Fix" whilst doing some of my own website work. All that needs doing is adding the following CSS to either the header of the page template or into one of the stylesheets:

<style>
            .fatthumb {
            }
        </style>

Then on the page template, insert the div block just before the part where the list of buttons is generated. My initial assessment of adding the block after the buttons was wrong, as they are also floated right, so the block needs to come first.

</ul>

You then end up with this (block highlighted in red on my test code so you can see where it sits):

attachicon.giffat-thumb.PNG

Proper testing across browsers and devices aside, I reckon that would be sufficient to stop accidental button pushing and remove the need for blank buttons that do nothing but still appear on a post if accidentally hit.

I tried clicking the red button. It didn't work.

Ed

• RMweb Premium

<style>
            .fatthumb {
            }
        </style>

</ul>

attachicon.giffat-thumb.PNG

Where's the "undecipherable" button when you need it most........?

(I still prefer smilies.......... :stinker: )

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Gold

I tried clicking the red button. It didn't work.

Ed

You're not pressing it hard enough. If you have an iPad, try using a hammer and hit the button rapidly 5 times in succession. That should fix the problem....

• RMweb Gold

You're not pressing it hard enough. If you have an iPad, try using a hammer and hit the button rapidly 5 times in succession. That should fix the problem....

Not any old hammer, either.

Try using a 2lb ball pein hammer, with the head inverted. Should do the trick. I call mine 'Stylus'....

Ian

Archived