Should we have some different "buttons"?

Mention of Mr Garratt reminds me.  

Picture the scene, deep in some dark, snowy woods in northern China.  Minus many degrees below freezing, waiting for a steam hauled freight - double headed and a pusher at the rear.  A number of huddled figures stamp and shiver, trying to keep warm in the icy wind, waiting for the volcanic display that three 2-10-2s will put on as they struggle to get 3000 tons of lumber on the move out of the yard.

Not so. The cavalcade disappeared, wreathed in steam, as the drivers 'performed' for the cameras.  Disappointed at such theatricals, there comes a baritone holler of rage, in purest Shropshire.... 'That cnut Garratt's been here AGAIN!'

The late great Basil Roberts, steam engineer par excellence.  I feel privileged to have spent a fortnight in China with him, two weeks of laughs and pranks.

I've also spent time with Mr Garratt, and he too was a gentleman of the highest order.  Rather too fond of open cylinder cocks for my taste though, like Basil I was a 'rods down, black smoke' kind of man.

I agree that's the best option we have right now. Just thought it would be good to acknowledge the good question with a specific button (as opposed to the lazy question!  :)). 

Yes, although one man's lazy question is another's inspired enquiry. 

• RMweb Gold

<snip> ... to address the thick-fingered issue, perhaps shift the block of buttons away from the edge of the screen. Probably as simple as changing a margin/offset in a template somewhere ;)

In CSS terms, a simple DIV block with a width of a couple of buttons, floated right, immediately after the unordered list would do the trick. :)

• RMweb Gold

The 'disagree' button would be more helpful if the forum etiquette expected a suitably corrective post from the voter. As it stands, it is too much of a 'me too' button.

- Richard.

Is it possible to set up a disagree button that does the following:

• Copy the first max. 100 words of the post disagreed with.
  • Add the text "I disagree with this post because".
  • Open the message for editing, but do not allow editing of the above. 
  • Warn the poster that misuse of the disagree facility is likely to lead to disciplinary action.
That way, anybody wanting to express disagreement will have to explain it or not post at all.

Is it possible to set up a disagree button that does the following:...

In an ideal world, anything is possible, but all such minor changes would have to re-instated and tested at each new release of the forum software. They may not be compatible with future versions so might need changing. I doubt Andy would want to do that, both for his own sanity and our downtime at each update.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Use the buttons, don't use the buttons, disagree, agree - what does it matter ?

Yes, so a few buttons get hit by mistake - if you don't know why your post got one, ask.

But, blimey, far worst things happen.

Edit: I'm more interested in who has the most 'Funny' ratings !

• RMweb Gold

It's quite ironic that the whole point of Andy adding the buttons in the first place was to stop "me too" posts in threads, now people are complaining that the buttons are used in a "me too" fashion and there aren't enough posts backing up the use of said buttons.  :no2:

Is it possible to set up a disagree button that does the following:

• Copy the first max. 100 words of the post disagreed with.
  • Add the text "I disagree with this post because".
  • Open the message for editing, but do not allow editing of the above. 
  • Warn the poster that misuse of the disagree facility is likely to lead to disciplinary action.
That way, anybody wanting to express disagreement will have to explain it or not post at all.

Well I suppose it's also possible to take out a contract on someone who has hit "disagree" but who also has the audacity not to explain themselves. It's possible. Is it sensible?

I dunno: I got off a plane this morning and along with all my fellow passengers was immediately shouted at by a gang of polyester-uniformed thugs to stand single file against a corridor wall while a sniffer dog inspected us all, and then we all had to present our passports to another gang of polyester-uniformed thugs who were hanging around the exit to the corridor such that only one person could go through at a time while the gang did their best to look menacingly at us. This was long before passport control was reached. Our crime, I guess, was to take a British Airways flight into Heathrow Airport. Welcome to Britain, the land of free citizens and liberal values.

So maybe we shouldn't be surprised by similarly authoritarian attitudes infecting some of the users of a hobby website about model trains.  :no2:

Paul

• RMweb Gold

I got off a plane this morning and along with all my fellow passengers was immediately shouted at by a gang of polyester-uniformed thugs to stand single file against a corridor wall while a sniffer dog inspected us all, and then we all had to present our passports to another gang of polyester-uniformed thugs who were hanging around the exit to the corridor such that only one person could go through at a time while the gang did their best to look menacingly at us. This was long before passport control was reached. Our crime, I guess, was to take a British Airways flight into Heathrow Airport. Welcome to Britain, the land of free citizens and liberal values.

I think that is an example of a post where I would disagree with the sentiments expressed, but I also feel friendly and supportive. Unfortunately, anything else I may say on the subject will be classified as political and/or religious, so the best thing I can do is shut up.

• RMweb Gold
Dutch_Master, on 07 Feb 2015 - 17:27, said:Dutch_Master, on 07 Feb 2015 - 17:27, said:

It's really about time Andy steps in and make clear what he thinks/wants and what Warner's position is in this rift. This is getting way out of hand and is causing upheaval that could have been prevented by not taking the tools to express disagreement simply on request of a small minority :angry:

Why? Andy Y has acted by taking out two contentious buttons, while he observes the result. He doesn't have to tell us anything, today, tomorrow or ever. And I do wish people wouldn't rattle on about Warners. This is still Andy Y's baby, whoever pays his wages. I'm not sure where the "upheaval" is, but I'm not aware of any murders, suicides or maimings stemming from the button issue. Like all the best threads, this one has developed a life of its own, and it's good sport.

• RMweb Gold

No, everybody is allowed to disagree, and has no obligation (really ab-so-lute-ly nothing!!) to anyone else to explain why (s)he disagrees. Period. DO NOT try to make disagreement obsolete on this site. RMweb was set up in disagreement with practices on another forum and has grown ever since on the basis that you were allowed to disagree. If the right to express disagreement anonymously (or at least, w/o the burden of being forced to explain the disagreeing) is taken away permanently, I'm out! :angry: I have no interest to visit some "Hallelujah-utopia" forum :mad:

It's really about time Andy steps in and make clear what he thinks/wants and what Warner's position is in this rift. This is getting way out of hand and is causing upheaval that could have been prevented by not taking the tools to express disagreement simply on request of a small minority :angry:

This post is a classic case of "if you can't get even, get mad"

Archived