Bachmann 2015/16 Speculation ... or Divination 101 as it is known on the Hogwarts Express

Ozexpatriate

Of course tomorrow Bachmann might announce that they will produce a diesel class that we are still waiting for. :no2:  With the Dapol mangement still running around the office either cheering :yahoo:  or panicing :sclerosis: because Dave Jones has left they have left themslves unguarded and Bachmann are going to slip by them with a North British Type 2 Diesel Electric Bo-Bo, both the Man engined version and the Paxman rebuilds. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

I guarantee i'm definitely cheering on that one mate!

im sure the mk1 stock will see the introduction of dcc light fitted versions like the upcoming aircon mk2f's. not everyones cuppa tea but opens up a whole new level of sales. the bogies are already tooled for current collection (from the pullman commonwealths) so just needs a suitable LED light fitting.

is the electric blue AL5 with syp still not out yet?  seems this was announced ages ago.  i lose track.....i think we are 2 years away from seeing any more oo gauge ac locos......but maybe not n gauge :)

top spec mk3a anyone?

How about  an Aspinall radial tank in full LYR livery? I've only just noticed that the LMS crimson version due for release later this year has the earlier smokebox door and one piece handrail, so it' in the condition that most, if not all, were in at the time of the grouping.

And to go with it an "LBL" set  in "Lake and Tan" livery, (could also be issued in LMS colours and I believe few made it into BR crimson before being withdrawn).

• RMweb Premium

I would quite like to see the following from Bachmann...

A wide variety of retooled Class 20s with directional Wipac lighting, cab lighting and the correct noses etc.

DRS Compass Class 20/3 with a few different numbers made available as they generally run in pairs. This would save paying out a large amount of money for this to be done by someone else. These could work my RHTT wagons on the Yorkshire RHTTs, engineers trains in Yorkshire, Flasks off Crewe and charters.

HNRC Orange 20311 & 20314. These could work anything from engineers trains to coaching stock moves on my layout and would look great running as a pair.

Balfour Beatty 20142 & 20189. These could work the Railvac which hopefully Bachmann will also bring out seen as their are now four operating across the country. They could also work wagon and stock moves and could be used to transfer locos on my layout from one place to another.

Next thing on the list is Revised DRS Liveried Class 37s. They could produce ones with the standard lighting arrangement or if they were to stretch further create some of the working Wipac locos for example 37423 or 37609. This would be fantastic because they could work with my Compass 409, 602 and 605 with the working Wipacs which are all in the Compass livery. They could work Flask trains off Crewe, engineers, passenger trains off Norwich which the 37/4s will start to do soon, charters as well as test trains.

Next up is at least one DRS Revised Liveried 57/3. This could be any from 301, 303, 306 or 310. I could then buy a second one so that they could work as a pair on any type of train required.

Then their is the new Northern Belle duo 57305 & 57312. Although I have just bought 790 & 832 in NB livery these would be good to have as they are more up to date which would add realism to the layout. These would be good to have as a twin pack to ensure buyers can purchase both locos as they run as a pair.

Also their is the DRS Revised 57/0s. This would mean that they could use their current base model DRS Compass 57011 and just add the new DRS livery and number them up as 57003 or 57010. Their would therefore be no retool required on this model except if they were to add the new radiator grilles.

It would be good to see a DRS Revised Class 66 for example 421 or 434. Again no retool would be required and it would just be a case of the new livery application to the base model.

Something that would be really good to see is a Colas Class 70 with the new air intake boxes fitted to the side of the loco. It would be good to see a few different numbers as pristine models alike the Freightliner ones. This would require the new tooling for the small box on the side of the loco and the application of the Colas livery onto a 70 which would be a first.

Finally it would be great to see a Railvac as this doesn't seem to be something that any 00 Gauge manufacturer has thought about. This could work with Colas Rail locos, DCR locos and Freightliner locos.

Yes a huge wish list which I don't expect to see all of these appear in the 2015/2016 catalogue but some of these locos wouldn't need any retooling just the application of new liveries to the current base model. For example DRS Revised 37/4s, DRS Revised Class 57/3s, the new NB 57/3s, DRS Revised 57/0s and the DRS Revised Class 66s.

I think that Bachmann need to produce this Revised DRS Livery because their are now so many members of each class of loco wearing it that they are limiting themselves with anything that they can produce as a DRS loco without creating the Revised livery. If the Revised DRS Livery isn't mentioned tomorrow I will be very disappointed and surprised at the same time.

I also think that its about time the DRS Class 20 was given a complete overhaul and retool with directional Wipac lighting, cab lighting and the new noses to replicate the locos in reality. For me personally I would buy at least two DRS 20/3s if not four to make two pairs. I have been wanting these locos for ages but cannot afford to have two resprayed with Wipac lighting because the total would be over £500. I would also buy the HNRC Orange pair and the Balfour Beatty pair because they have a multitude of uses. I am almost certain that if Bachmann were to produce DRS, HNRC and Balfour Beatty Class 20s the majority of modern image layout owners would buy them!

• RMweb Gold

I suspect it's got lost in the frothiness but what time tomorrow is the announcement and are the Samaritans fully briefed and ready?

The information will be available from 1pm tomorrow.

I both hope and expect we'll see a further locomotive from the SECR announced. I don't mind if it's a D, P or H class. Were such a model made perhaps Bachmann should consider a fully lined version as a rather more numerous limited edition than the C Class was so those who missed out on that model might have a chance of something equally attractive to run.

I know it's business but I feel for Bachmann if their flagship model is the MN – perhaps there might be a race to get it to market.

I think the Bachmann range over all is more comprehensive and have a range that is better suited to the modeller overall offering engines that would be the backbone of the normal running fleet.

I understand what you mean, but I have to disagree with the sweeping generalization which, if it has any truth, is really only relevant for post-nationalization modellers. Bachmann has never done as "comprehensive" a job with grouping passenger coaching stock, though they are starting to catch up with the LMS porthole stock and offerings announced for the SR and the LNER.

I will happily agree that they have done much more in the way of DMUs, particularly for the contemporary scene, have traditionally focused more on 'useful' engines (rather than express passenger stock) and have a better range of wagons, but only viewed through the prism of their body of work over time.

As consumers we have had the advantage of being able to purchase from multiple manufacturers with Hornby focused on 'prestige' prototypes and Bachmann historically focused on what "Hornby wasn't doing" as a strategy though, today, that is changing.

No manufacturer offers a comprehensive range of locomotives, coaches, wagons and brake vehicles for a particular interest (particularly grouping era) at any one time, though Bachmann comes closest for people who like the post-nationalization period.

Bachmanns move to offer Southern engines is a move to chase sales.

And very recent that is too. Up until the C class, they had only ever done two locomotive models for SR modellers in their entire history, though they have recently increased that to five, not counting forthcoming announcements tomorrow, or the USATC tank for Model Rail.

This now compares much more favorably with the 14* steam locomotive models produced or announced by Hornby over the years for the SR.

* Including the rebuilds of the Bulleid Pacifics.

"Finally it would be great to see a Railvac as this doesn't seem to be something that any 00 Gauge manufacturer has thought about. This could work with Colas Rail locos, DCR locos and Freightliner locos"

Freightliner don't and never have operated the Railvac and DCR no longer do either... Just Colas and GBRf now I believe

I have no problem understanding, if you look at the range as a whole and include what goes behind the loco! From the current Hornby catalogue it is impossible to but together a complete rake of mainline coaches for the pre 1965 BR period, unless you want BR Green, or a rake of Pulmans.

Similar to my response above, it is impossible to put together a complete rake of mainline coaches from Bachmann for the GWR that suits the most commonly manufactured livery - the early Collett GREAT <arms> WESTERN livery (or pretty much any other GWR livery for that matter).

Bachmann announced a redux of their Collett 60' coaches in a Hawksworth livery back when they announced the Dukedog. I think that might have been 2012. They are yet to appear, but are scheduled for Aug/Sep of this year.

The ancient GWR toad has not been in the range for some time, though Bachmann, and Hornby, did announce it for 2014/15 and 2015 respectively. It is not yet available from either manufacturer.

If you have squirreled away old Hornby coaches you can at least make up a train - so long as you are content with composites and brake thirds.

No vendor has a range that is anything like "comprehensive". I don't really expect them to be, except perhaps over an extended period of say ten years or so, but even that is a stretch.

Don't get me wrong - I love Bachmann Branch-Line models. I have many of them, with more on order and am looking forward to tomorrow's announcement but, they simply don't offer as many items in their annual catalogue as Hornby does, and no supplier is "comprehensive" for my interests.

EDIT:

By my (unofficial) count, Bachmann has introduced or announced 64 unique models of steam locomotives to Hornby's 70 (post dropping the Tri-ang name), not counting re-issues with new tooling of an existing offering by the same manufacturer. Given that Hornby had an almost twenty year head start, that's pretty impressive for Bachmann in their 25 years, but the pace of introductions has increased radically since the early days for both suppliers. Competition can be a very healthy thing.

I understand what you mean, but I have to disagree with the sweeping generalization which, if it has any truth, is really only relevant for post-nationalization modellers. Bachmann has never done as "comprehensive" a job with grouping passenger coaching stock, though they are starting to catch up with the LMS porthole stock and offerings announced for the SR and the LNER.

Yes I agree about prenationalisation stock largely being the domain of Hornby, and that post has been the domain of Bachmann. Largely speaking....

I see everyone has forgotten about the J11 that appeared in GC lined livery for a few minutes on the Bachmann website ages ago.....

I counted that as having already be announced - unless you specifically mean a Great Central version.

Archived