Bachmann 2015/16 Speculation ... or Divination 101 as it is known on the Hogwarts Express

Ozexpatriate

Whats next a chaldron wagon?

I wouldn't mind some Chaldron wagons for my proposed "King's Oak 1840" layout to run behind my Norris 4-2-0s, in fact any early 1830s-40s railway wagons or carriages would be much appreciated. 

There again, I think even I can manage the Smallbrook Chaldron wagon kits.

Commonplace? Only in Lincolnshire! If a DMU is to be modelled a 120 (or perhaps 104) would be a better bet—more widespread and a distinctive appearance compared to the 108.

They were a bit more widespread than that, let's be honest. No shortage of photos (admittedly mainly in their slightly later years) showing them looking after a fair proportion of local services in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire as well as South Yorkshire. They weren't averse to getting towards Cambridge and Peterborough, and don't forget the ones that went to Tyseley. 

Not as wide-ranging as a 101/5/8 or whichever, that's true, but no less so than many other models that have been produced over the years.

For those still in the market for a SECR liveried 'C' there's one in the cabinet at the Hobby Box in Uckfield, new not secondhand... (No connection, just a regular customer). I don't know how much it is, but I'd be surprised if it is over list price, they are very reasonable.

Regrettably, not a fully lined 'C'. Perhaps this was the simpler livery, which is still I believe fairly widely available.

Perhaps with Hornby's announcement today, Bachmann should start looking further North towards Scotland. A new D49, Caley Jumbo or NBR J36 would go down a treat. Though the market is smaller for Scottish locos a well made model in an attractive livery (SECR C class as an example) such a model could sell in relatively large numbers. A D49 might sell more models since 246/62712 Morayshire has visited the Great Central, Nene Valley and is now on her way to North Norfolk before Barrowhill and then back to Bo'ness, and in the process has attracted quite a bit of attention now she's in BR black and in the final few months of her current boiler ticket.

• RMweb Premium

Right , now the truths out over on Hornby Merchant Navy threads, there's still time for Bachmann to cancel theirs and do that Caley 812 instead. Although I would like it in a little less than 4 years please

I do feel for Bachmann. While Hornby are coming out fighting they must be rather annoyed by such a move. It would be nice to see Bachmann be able to announce some good results with their new programme on Monday. The Bachmann range is always broader and more comprehensive. I still think Bachmann make the better models for the more workhorse classes too. Even with the likes of Hornby with the K1, and B1, being able to offer something in the frame of competition here, the choice of Bachmann in the past for other pregrouping classes, or types of model that have expanded the areas covered (just look at 1st Gen DMUS, MPV, AC electrics etc) means that the Bachmann announcement remains more interesting and over all more important.

Bachmann have moved to model the popular Southern area more, with pregrouping C-Classes, E4s and Atlantics all announced. This is traditional Hornby territory, and maybe they feel more than threatened if Bachmann do move for something big, named and green.

Either way, regardless of this, I am sure Bachmann will do well announcing their range, including a surprise or two for all of us here.

Commonplace? Only in Lincolnshire! If a DMU is to be modelled a 120 (or perhaps 104) would be a better bet—more widespread and a distinctive appearance compared to the 108.

A 109 Wickham would fill the list of East Anglian dmu's in my collection. It was also a departmental unit (popular field of modelling for some), and is now preserved.

Stewart

They were a bit more widespread than that, let's be honest. No shortage of photos (admittedly mainly in their slightly later years) showing them looking after a fair proportion of local services in Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire as well as South Yorkshire. They weren't averse to getting towards Cambridge and Peterborough, and don't forget the ones that went to Tyseley. 

Not as wide-ranging as a 101/5/8 or whichever, that's true, but no less so than many other models that have been produced over the years.

I saw one in Ipswich once, can't remember when but it was in blue/grey so late 70s or early to mid 80s. It was heading for Cambridge so it must have been sent from there earlier to cover for an unavailable local set. I don't know how common this would have been.

The Bachmann range is always broader and more comprehensive.

David, what do you mean by that?

Bachmann certainly offers more for the fastidious modeller of a specific time and place versus Hornby's preference for 'big green and named' but empirically Hornby's range is larger and generally much broader in coverage of grouping era subjects.

I'm not sure how to measure what you mean by comprehensiveness.

The MN I want is 35006 'Peninsular & Oriental S.N. Co' as running in the summer of 1959; the only one I remember seeing in air-smoothed form and the last-but-one to enter Eastleigh works for rebuilding. 35028 'Clan Line' went in a couple of weeks later. 

On the subject of P&O S.N. Co., here's Graham Muz's lovely version of 21C6. From his excellent and informative MN page.

John, I wonder if Hornby will be your best bet. Graham's recent page on the Hornby announcement is here.

• RMweb Gold

A 109 Wickham would fill the list of East Anglian dmu's in my collection. It was also a departmental unit (popular field of modelling for some), and is now preserved.

Stewart

Half a Wickham unit, (along with half a GRC&W 100), worked the Stockport Stalybridge 'pullman' for many years.

I would have to buy at least half a one!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Half a Wickham unit, (along with half a GRC&W 100), worked the Stockport Stalybridge 'pullman' for many years.

I would have to buy at least half a one!

Kev.

Surely that was half a Cravens 2 car set with the Gloucester car, I remember travelling on it..The Wickham units rarely got off the Eastern Region.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann are going to announce the following;

GT3

Class 104 (4car NER version)

Class 107

Class 114

Class 125

Mk 1 suburban SO(L)

Mk 1 suburban CL

LMS 350 hp (BR Class 11)

Both versions of the NBL 200hp 0-4-0

All three versions of the NBL 225hp 0-4-0

NBL 330hp 0-4-0

Barclay 204 hp 0-6-0 and 0-4-0 (Class 06)

Barclay 152 hp 0-4-0 (Class 01)

Hunslet 152 hp 0-4-0 both tram version and de-skirted version.

D600 Warship

How do I know because these are the models that I have not finished and no RTR model is available of them, yet.

• RMweb Gold

Surely that was half a Cravens 2 car set with the Gloucester car, I remember travelling on it..The Wickham units rarely got off the Eastern Region.

You know, I don't know now!

Kev.

(Must be the grey matter reduction program I've implemented!)

Looking forward to see what Bachmann plans next month. There are loads of repaints of exsisting models that would generate a lot of interest

Class 47/4 in Large Logo

Class 47 in Speedlink Trainload Freight diamonds

I'll just remind readers at this point that two repaints of the Class 47 that Bachmann has never produced are without doubt the most numerous and widespread prototypes of the class ever, and still they persist in twatting about with odd combinations of details and livery features that were rare or confined to small numbers of locos.

Bachmann, please produce a dual-braked Class 47 with Serck Grilles in Standard Blue and Yellow in pre-TOPS sans-serif or TOPS, both with central double-arrow, black glass headcode panels and buffer beam fairings.  510 locomotives had this livery.

Bachmann, please produce the exact same body style as above but in Green with Small Yellow Panels and serif D-numbers, as over half the class ran like this.

Bachmann have it for me, in terms of reliability at least - if they announce something the issues with it will generally be minor (subjective) if they exist at all - but I do have one minor gripe which is the seeming disregard for the early 2000s modeller. out of all the Bachmann 47s none are suitable for this period (even the RES choice...) - and again for the new 90, none of the three in initial release cover this period at all!

It won't stop be buying a 90 for instance but it is a point I think about.

Bachmann have it for me, in terms of reliability at least - if they announce something the issues with it will generally be minor (subjective) if they exist at all - but I do have one minor gripe which is the seeming disregard for the early 2000s modeller. out of all the Bachmann 47s none are suitable for this period (even the RES choice...) - and again for the new 90, none of the three in initial release cover this period at all!

It won't stop be buying a 90 for instance but it is a point I think about.

Early 2000s? A very short period. What about the Victorian period modeller, the Edwardian period, early post WW1? (other eras are available). Not that it matters actually, as those who are really interested in modeling a particular period/location will find a way. Repaints, kits, scratchbuilding, etc.

Given recent manufacturing cost increases that have inevitably been passed on to us as price increases I think Bachmann would do well to consider some reintroduction of existing models.

Of course the paying public are going to get excited about “all new tooling” but there are things that I would buy from existing tooling, hopefully at a lower price point.

My Great Western loyalties will show below but I am sure that many modellers of other regions and eras will have similar thoughts;

A couple of years ago, the Collett Goods shrugged off its old split chassis and was offered in a DCC ready version, but only in GWR post-war livery. If one came out bearing “Great Western” or a Shirtbutton, there is a customer over here. The design and tooling work is all done, just a low budget printing job.

Hornby have bagged most of the big Great Western locomotives, but the Manor remains in there stable and will almost inevitably get a re-working now I have got my old split chassis models working on DCC.

The 43XX and 93XX are surely worth another look? A common chassis, various livery applications and reasonable longevity should see several models out of a reinvestment – even if only the chassis is updated. As far as I am aware the 93XX was only ever offered as GWR.

Surely we can expect to see the new 64XX announced in an early livery?

Like many others, I would love to see more GWR coaching stock but I think it is unlikely as the existing Collett moulds are already in the catalogue for this year, unless this is a red herring.

If something “all new” is to be announced, perhaps they could steal the Dean Goods from Hornby, I think that a new model that is not pushed along by its tender would be most welcome.

Just over 24 hours to go so-

Can't see another AC electric until after the 90 is released

New body for the deltic using the cads developed for the n gauge version

Some kind of navy steam engine!

Must be time for the 20/3

New 156 to match the 150

Collectors club loco to be steam as the last few have been D&E orientated and the E4 is due for release soon- coincidence I think not!

Mark

Bachmann certainly offers more for the fastidious modeller of a specific time and place versus Hornby's preference for 'big green and named' but empirically Hornby's range is larger and generally much broader in coverage of grouping era subjects.

I think the Bachmann range over all is more comprehensive and have a range that is better suited to the modeller overall offering engines that would be the backbone of the normal running fleet. Only in recent years has this somewhat retreated as Bachmann move into one or two areas that have been driven by the polling of successive wishlists. Before this, ranges were broader and to open up markets, Bachmann, rather than their competitors were the vanguard of progression and change.

Other manufacturers stuck with the idea of big, green and named or on providing for one area at a time. Hornby chose the Southern region after the rebuilt Merchant Navy, supporting other areas by offering large engines for Western, Midland and Eastern too, mainly express engines. The Midland benefited from some Stanier releases and only recently in the last few years has there been a tendancy to develop the GE area. Hornby still have the lead in train sets, being the entry into the hobby and then capturing the attention with big named engines that get people interested in prototypes. Their modern image range benefited from some new releases that were argueably as good if not better than the likes of Bachmann, seeing class 60, 31, 50, and 67 being done. But Hornbys range caters for outlets that just stock Hornby. The railroad range was a move caused because so much of Hornbys old tooling was till in use, and still selling.  

Bachmann have the confidence to maintain their progress and I think this coming release tomorrow will see a shift back to a broader range with things like the MN, but also the BR standard 2MT and others. Bachmann have opened up areas, being the first to make the better detailed models. After realising the Southern area was so popular it was Bachmann that opened up Slam Door EMU stock. It was Bachmann that led the move in Blue and Grey transition which they pushed with their diesel fleet by bringing AC electrics to the fore. In modern image Bachmann did wagons but also things like the MPV, a useful model the likes of which is no where near anyone elses range. Bachmann have turned 1st Gen DMUs into a virtual corner of the market and if not careful 2nd Gen DMU will go the same way. Things like the Blue Pullman were timed perfectly, being offered and made before a price explosion while using the best current technology. Hornbys effort with the Brighton Belle were far short as they tried to offer something similar.

The Barwell team are also adept at choosing what to model. Selecting the GC to develop after the much requested ROD was a stroke of genius, as it offers engines to those modelling GC, Anglia, the Midlands, and GN area as engines moved from one area into another - a fact that is lost on someone in the Hornby MN thread. Modellers go and buy engines to get a broad regional appeal and in areas where such boundries were closer such overlaps and desires by the modelling community are what makes those models sell. Its why the NE and Scotland loose out as they were more self contained. Bachmanns move to support the midland has seen a wealth of coal tanks, and midland freight machines to support the broad range here as again midland stuff straddles that in the centre and those from east to west. Sutff being linked to the SD&JR is just a bonus, but its one that Bachmann has as the route has cult following. When you look at the prototypes for Diesel just look at the numbers. Class 37s were very popular and have many varieties, class 66 is the same. Everyone modelling privitisation needs many of these, and in EWS alone theres 250 66s, rather than a class like 67 which has just 30. Class 47 is the same.

Bachmanns move to offer Southern engines is a move to chase sales. Rightly so. Modellers by definition like getting the whole range, and adding to it with something new and thats whats driving the selection process as Bachmann offer the engines beneath the express duties. Bachmann also are the ones offering engines to match lines they are modelling for - another link up and another first. The Great Central, Severn Valley and Bluebell all have buildings in the Scenecraft range. The NYMR was a test bed for this, being bought in by a private concern, but Bachmann have still made them.

Working with companies goes further. While releases have been done that were limited editions off a normal run, like Flying Scotsman being done for a standard A3 in the range, Bachmann took this furhter by comissioning engines into their range specifically because they wanted to have the NRM icon available. Hence the Midland compound, and City of Truro - which supported more developments in the wider range by Bachmann. By doing the prototype Deltic first was a masterstroke.

That is all largely just engines but the same goes for stock and wagons too. They offer a wider and more useful range to the modeller in more areas, at better quality and are more consistant than competitiors. Thats why I was hoping and championing the idea for Bachmann to move into the North east region, as they are a company of excellent standards with a great record. Careful though, as some have seen success and like all great leaders, the competition is looking to equal their record - and some appear to aim to do it quickly.

I have no problem understanding, if you look at the range as a whole and include what goes behind the loco! From the current Hornby catalogue it is impossible to but together a complete rake of mainline coaches for the pre 1965 BR period, unless you want BR Green, or a rake of Pulmans. BR (E) is well served for non gangway stock and BR(M) soon will be. It does seem strange that, having introduced a new range off Mk 1 stock Hornby are failing to maintain stock of what should be bread and butter line. Also their wonderful range of pre-nationalisation stock is totally absent. So if you are looking to buy stock to go behind your new Hornby Loco you are forced to trawl round shops who might have existing stocks or go second hand. Of course, I'm alright as I have bought stock over the years, although I have some gaps which I'm finding very difficult to fill.

I could make the same point for freight stock. At least the Bachmann Catalogue holds the promise of "Jam tomorrow!"

• RMweb Premium

Of course tomorrow Bachmann might announce that they will produce a diesel class that we are still waiting for. :no2:  With the Dapol mangement still running around the office either cheering :yahoo:  or panicing :sclerosis: because Dave Jones has left they have left themslves unguarded and Bachmann are going to slip by them with a North British Type 2 Diesel Electric Bo-Bo, both the Man engined version and the Paxman rebuilds. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Archived