Bachmann 2015/16 Speculation ... or Divination 101 as it is known on the Hogwarts Express

Ozexpatriate

It still feels hard to believe it would happen. Were Bachmann Branch-Line do a range of GWR coaches (even a modest range of say three) it would feel to me like a confident statement that they are declaring themselves to be the premier British outline/00 RTR manufacturer. They've kind of being doing things that "Hornby doesn't do" which is the role a niche player does. Doing mainstream GWR coaches makes a big statement...

I have long felt that not over emphasising GWR made them the premier RTR manufacturer as far as the adult hobby was concerned. We''ll leave the toy oriented GWR-centric stuff to Hornby, as that seems to satisfy that sector; and produce models - mainly of less glamorous prototypes - for people interested in the UK railway system.

In evidence I submit that it is Hornby that has now followed Bachmann's lead, increasingly introducing models of smaller black steam locos, and ranges of coaches with more than just the usual 'composite and brake end' provision of old.

• RMweb Premium

Factually incorrect I'm afraid. The birdcages were announced in March 2013 - two years ago, not three. We should be careful to get facts right before making such comments.

True , they were announced 2013 but my last Bachmann times (Winter 2014) says they are only at the "Drawing Office" , so haven't reached tooling. So a 3 year gestation period doesn't seem unreasonable, which I think was Dave's point.

It is difficult to get enthused with such long times

What I would want, mentioned in countless emails is a Caley 812 0-6-0. Lovely wee engine preserved in Caley Blue . I'm sure that would have same success of SE&CR C class. And of course it was long lived with LMS, BR Early and late crest versions all possible. Plus it looks cute and as well as being at Aviemore was at SVR so quite widespread. There's even the Caledonian Twins connection from TTTE. Not suggesting that we model Donald or Douglas but it means kids have familiarity with a Caley model. It all helps!

I've mentioned that 4 car + emus and dmus are out on basis of cost. I'm sure Bachmann said as much last year saying the Blue Pullman would now be uneconomic. So I can't see a Transpennine unit appearing , a class 185 or Electrostars. I think its significant you haven't even seen a 3 car 101, which would surely be very popular.

There's nothing delivered from 009 range yet , so I can't see them extending it. Isn't Heljan doing a Lynton & Barnstaple loco?

Last years introductions on their 25th year, despite the build up, were muted and it coincided with visit from the Kader CEO.  Something changed between build up to annoucement. Sheer speculation, but isn't this thread what its all about?  I'm sure comparison was made of Bachmanns margins compared to others in the Kader group and ,as well as some rising costs, that's the main reason prices have gone up. Yes 20% on average but there are some that have doubled!  I think they will be waiting to see how the market has reacted to that before any major announcements. I wonder what this does to the wagon range , in particular, where I used to buy the occasional wagon to supplement the fleet because they were relatively inexpensive. £17-£20 models have put a stop to that.

• RMweb Premium

I have long felt that not over emphasising GWR made them the premier RTR manufacturer as far as the adult hobby was concerned. We''ll leave the toy oriented GWR-centric stuff to Hornby, as that seems to satisfy that sector; and produce models - mainly of less glamorous prototypes - for people interested in the UK railway system.

In evidence I submit that it is Hornby that has now followed Bachmann's lead, increasingly introducing models of smaller black steam locos, and ranges of coaches with more than just the usual 'composite and brake end' provision of old.

I see the point on Hornby modelling more run of the mill models, but isn't that because aside from an Unrebuilt Merchant Navy there is really nothing big left?

Not sure about the point on GWR and it being linked with toy centric stuff.   If you look at all manufacturers one of the gaps is pre war GWR coaching stock to latest specs. It would give something for all their GWR locos to pull. I wouldn't rule it out but I think it does all come back to cost , what they can be produced for , and margin on them as per my previous point

I do feel, if I were to take the popularist RMWeb line, there should be a thread, 'Where are the Bachmann models?' . What is sauce for the Red team, is sauce for the Blue!

Like others, I cannot get excited this year, I feel that right now, the blue is behind the red ball, (for those watching in black and white, that's the one next to the pink).

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Quite a lot of new/re-liveried items have now got a projected dates for the second half of the year on the Bachmann website, posted yesterday. Looks like Christmas 2015 could be quite expensive after a fairly quiet 2014! There is in fact a steady flow of new releases from March onwards, which should go quite a way to reduce the backlog. Everything comes to the patient!

• RMweb Gold

Looking at the Bachmann website a few of the 2014 announced items I am interested in are marked § rather than having a due date. Otherwise the 2015 due dates (if they materialise) are quite well spaced out for what I have my eye on, thankfully! Should help the cash flow. The E4 in March/April is first in line for me, so a bit of time til then to save some cash... then the green class 20 due in June/July, then the green Peak in Oct/Nov, just in time for my birthday :-) 

As for speculation for what's coming (my wish list...), well perhaps an all-over green 40 (ie a plain old DC version using the DCC sound body), a H2 in LBSC livery (to match the E4 in umber?), and a Wainwright D (again pre-grouping livery option/NRM tie in)? 

cheers,

Keith

I've a suspicion that a v2 body is on the cards, and they may revisit the A4 too. But the later will need to go some to beat the Hornby product. 

Entirely new GWR coaches of some description I suspect we'll see, and hopefully a Mk1 BSO and FO will at last be offered. 

I find my self in a dilema though in that there is so much outstanding from previous years some of which I'd like to see released, sooner rather than later.  

I'd be surprised if much gets announced this year bearing in mind last years announcement was only 9 months ago and there is quite a backlog of things still to appear. Cant see a Class 59 being announced when Hornby already has its ex-Lima version and DJ Models presumably doing a hi-fi version - there just cant be enough of a market for a handful of prototype locos with 3 competing models.

Cant see a Trans-Pennine DMU appearing either, too many vehicles to produce!

Perhaps a Class 104 or 120, but they'd probably need to be 3 car units to sell. I could see a Class 101 centre car being produced. I'd love to see more AC locos, but with a Class 90 on the way I doubt another will be announced yet.

I think there will be more liveries applied to the Class 37/0 (really need more Trainload Freight versions)  and 47 models (probably Large Logo livery and maybe more 47/7s?). The BR Blue Class 40s sold out rapidly, a disc headcode version might make an appearance

I'd like to see some progress with the Mk2Fs, its gone very quiet in the 2(?) years since they were announced

as for wagons, possibly some chemicals tanks maybe? or catfish ballast hoppers?

I wish too see the Stanier Mogul this year.

I'm going to be selfish and only speculate on engines i will buy that could be feasible options for Bachmann, knowing there will be other that I won't be interested in.

So one or two of:-

A J6 0-6-0 has got to be close now.

A 0-4-4T of some description, Johnson 2P or G5.

B16 4-6-0.

Stanier 2-6-2T.

I wish, keep dreaming:

A5 4-6-2T would love to see another big tank though.

C12 4-4-2T

Wagon:

Coke Hopper.

... Where are the Bachmann models?' . What is sauce for the Red team, is sauce for the Blue!  ... I feel that right now, the blue is behind the red ball...

No doubt about it, their once machine like product pipeline flow has stalled. Noticed it in my own RTR purchasing, Hornbyhad the lion;s share last year, and will this year too.

Undoubtedly something has disrupted their operation, and the information that I have:

1, closure of the former Sanda Kan factory, reputedly the largest single such operation in China for this class of goods,

2, the emergence of many small suppliers that  are now manufacturing for Hornby,

3 mechanism and body design in the most recent Hornby product I have purchased that follows patterns previously only seen in Bachmann product;

leads me to suspect that some of Kader's employees may well have walked and set up on their own account. Pure surmise on my part, other interpretations may be better.

A rerun of GUVs in BR Maroon Livery would be useful. Also LMS Porthole Stock in BR Maroon.

I have already gone for the Caledonian 812, The L&Y Aspinall / Barton Wright 0-6-0s and a Andrew Barclay Industrial 0-4-0ST in the previous thread with photos, so I'll not mention them again.

Don't think I've mentioned the Fell for quite a long time. Saw this lovely model built from an A1 Kit last night (photo attached). Sadly not mine. Doesn't she look good in the lined BR green she carried from March 1957?! The Fell did get 157 votes in the last wishlist, around the same as the LMS Period 3 Suburbans!

post-4790-0-78945400-1423241871_thumb.jpg

As I've said on another thread, I think an unrebuilt Merchant Navy in OO (already done in N) is likely. Hornby have had an open goal on this for ages, but we've had the P2, DoG & Clans instead.

The Merchant Navy is a perennial pick. The question is who will do one. It seemed so obviously the kind of model that Hornby would do, excepting their recent history of supply chain problems, it's otherwise surprising that they have not done it.

If Bachmann decided to do one, my guess would be that this would represent the third batch - which I believe to be the most representative for people with nationalization era layouts, and not the choice of people who want the Merchant Navy for the 'look'. Doubtless that choice would disappoint some.

A rerun of GUVs in BR Maroon Livery would be useful. Also LMS Porthole Stock in BR Maroon.

I have already gone for the Caledonian 812, The L&Y Aspinall / Barton Wright 0-6-0s and a Andrew Barclay Industrial 0-4-0ST in the previous thread with photos, so I'll not mention them again.

Don't think I've mentioned the Fell for quite a long time. Saw this lovely model built from an A1 Kit last night (photo attached). Sadly not mine. Doesn't she look good in the lined BR green she carried from March 1957?! The Fell did get 157 votes in the last wishlist, around the same as the LMS Period 3 Suburbans!

Oh dear, the clown-shoe on rails is here again....

Perhaps Bachmann will announce that they intend to produce the two most common ever variants of the Brush Type 4/ Class 47, which they have failed to manufacture up to now:

The most common of all time (508 examples of it) - Standard Rail Blue with central arrows, buffer beam cowls, glazed black headcode panels, and Serck grilles.

Second most common (haven't got the stats to hand, but probably 250-odd) - Two tone green, small yellow panel, and Serck grilles.

, and hopefully a Mk1 BSO and FO will at last be offered. 

i somehow think that we may not see these outstanding models until Bachmann look at retooling the whole mk1 coach range (improvements to roof ribs or dcc on board maybe like the new mk2f coaches) its been that long now. 

As has been said before though, with lead times approaching 3 years for previous announcements it's difficult to get enthusiastic. The birdcages for example, coming up for 3 years since the announcement and still no sign of engineering samples.

Factually incorrect I'm afraid. The birdcages were announced in March 2013 - two years ago, not three. We should be careful to get facts right before making such comments.

Based on Bachmann's rather excellent communication on the development status of the Birdcage stock it does seem quite likely that they will not be available until 2016, making it about three years from announcement to availability.

I will grant you that is a projection, and not a fact, but it is based on communication from Bachmann.

EDIT: Oops I missed the two relevant comments below:

However, Bachmann's announcements are supposedly of models they plan to RELEASE in the coming 18 months.

For items where no EP sample has emerged after almost two years, and given that (first) EP sample to release generally takes 9-12 months, it is increasingly clear that we need to double the gestation period for a number of models still outstanding from the 2013 announcements.

True , they were announced 2013 but my last Bachmann times (Winter 2014) says they are only at the "Drawing Office" , so haven't reached tooling. So a 3 year gestation period doesn't seem unreasonable, which I think was Dave's point.

Agreed - to both.

I would like to suggest a very contraversial option that Bachmann might take:

NOT releasing any new models and instead sort out their supply problems and also move up production on those "imminent" releases that were first mooted back when pterodactyls flew over Leicester.

Nah- I agree it is very unlikely that any of the big players will sort their acts out before embarking on new projects that some of us probably won't even live long enough to see released.

(My emphasis.) I'm not quite sure how to take that. It feels like a bit of a cheap shot, but I'll not rush to judgement and give you the benefit of the doubt. I don't think you'll find too many people here who were delighted with the short-cuts Hornby made in the 8-coupled heavy tanks and the Star.

The notion of "premier" supplier was related to business behavior in terms of behaving like a market leader. Like you, I think Bachmann deservedly is the 'award-winning' RTR supplier.

Not sure about the point on GWR and it being linked with toy centric stuff.   If you look at all manufacturers one of the gaps is pre war GWR coaching stock to latest specs. It would give something for all their GWR locos to pull.

Agreed.

I think Bachmann should have an OO 31,

given hornbys problems in actually churning anything out and astronomic prices .

not only that, not having a standard diesel like this is like airfix not making a spitfire kit, because revell already have one

Archived