Bachmann 2015/16 Speculation ... or Divination 101 as it is known on the Hogwarts Express

Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

A blue deltic with Finsbury Park white cabs would make me very happy.

Bachmann's already made one of those - 55012 CREPELLO ref 32-527.

SO as well

Are you sure? Hornby has made an SO with correct 2+1 seating but I thought Bachmann's were all TSOs.

• RMweb Gold

..... I foresee the Polybulk dying of death. I don't think the UK market is ready for a £50 wagon however splendid it may be.

If that does turn out to be the case, the likely effect will be to exclude wagons involving extensive and complex detail work from manufacturers' programmes altogether. 

The obvious alternative; providing the detail parts on separate sprues for the purchaser to add, seems to be almost as unpopular as high prices.

However, I think you may be underestimating the number of potential purchasers who do have the resources to buy such models in multiple and layouts large enough to accommodate them. 

Whilst not necessarily typical, one only needs to do a rough costing of the professionally converted DCC sound-fitted loco fleets listed in some layout coverage in the magazines (and substantial other professional input) to realise there is serious disposable income sloshing around in some sections of the hobby. 

John

• RMweb Premium

A blue deltic with Finsbury Park white cabs would make me very happy. 

As I said, since Bachmann has already done 55012 with FP white cabs it is perhaps unlikely we'll see another one soon. So how about 55013 or 55022 with roof grills and fuel tanks picked out in white instead? https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve75c/4185516217/

Would love to see any of the following, im not fussy..!

Retooled Manor - with all the talk about manors at the moment, last years return of Dinmore, Bradley to return this year and 50 years since the end of Manors on the Cambrian, it would be a good time!

WD 2-10-0 - done the 2-8-0, c'mon, a model of Gordon would be lovely!

15xx Pannier - 1501 is currently taking the country by storm, you don't need an excuse for this Pannier on steroids really!

Retooled Lord Nelson - its looking tired now!

Retooled J72 - see above

Large Prairie - i know its Hornbys thing but still, never say never hey?

94xx - again see above!

43xx/73xx/93xx Mogul - again, getting tired now!

BR Caprotti Standard Five - just 73129 will do me! ;) 

Quarry Hunslet in 009 - one of the most varied locos in the country, doesnt need much more of a reason!

A few reliveries (you can probably guess the pattern...!)

Jubilee 5690 Leander LMS Crimson and 45699 Galatea BR Maroon! ;)

Mod Hall 6960 Raveningham Hall GWR Green with Collett Tender

Arriva Class 158....just as an odd one!

Coaches, anything GWR, my SVR fleet is lacking in Toplights and decent Colletts!

Thats all..... *goes back to cupboard*

Leander and Galatea will require retooled bodies as they are the long firebox version, long overdue so that Bachmann can produce the rest of the Jubilees! In the meantime Bahamas with double chimney please.

We need all the preserved Jubilees to line up with the two Scots and The Unknown Warrior. Hopefully this could be a possibility for the prototypes 2019-20, All the preserved (and new build)  LMS three-cylinder 4-6-0s together, so why not in 4mm. A4s eat your heart out!

interesting to think what they might announce. To chuck my two penneth in.....

J27

B16

trans pennine 185

manor

A very long shot but possibly an ex L&Y Dreadnought 4-6-0 as they survived into BR

It would be nice, as I have said many times before to see a range of pre grouping models. How many of us would model the LNWR or the Midland if we could get off the shelf models?

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann to introduce a 'premium bespoke' range to satisfy the needs of those who complain that the particular livery or number they want hasn't been done yet. For no more than 10% over the rrp the 'premium bespoke' model will be finished in unpainted plastic and include vouchers for Humbrol paints and Modelmaster transfers.

• RMweb Gold

As I said, since Bachmann has already done 55012 with FP white cabs it is perhaps unlikely we'll see another one soon. So how about 55013 or 55022 with roof grills and fuel tanks picked out in white instead? https://www.flickr.com/photos/steve75c/4185516217/

Yes but I dont think they have done the updated model with lights and all wheel drive. It's been a good while now and they go for good prices on EBay. Oh, and I missed out first time round! 

My six pence worth.

Steam:

Hornby have retooled the Hall class, and have also announced a King class, so it would seem fit for Bachmann to fill the remaining gap in the Western 6-coupled engines with a Manor class or the 43xx Mogul.

On a Southern front, I feel the Lord Nelson is due a re-tool to modern standards. This would go well with their N class, and Hornby's S15, N15 and Schools classes to fill one of the gaps in the Maunsell family of engines. 

I think an updated V2 is plausible, given they have produced a retooled chassis.

For the Midland region, I have no idea as to whether it would be a possibility, but a Fowler 7F 0-8-0 could be of interest.

Diesel:

I do not see Bachmann producing a Class 59, simply because it would cause duplication with DJM, as Dave has announced his intention make a 59 in 00

However, I'm surprised that the Class 29 has remained untouched by companies...surely this is a gap that needs filling for Modelers of the Scottish region?

Delving right out of 00 scale for a minute. Given they announced a 009 range last year, are we to see some more stock for this scale?

Regards,
Matt

EDIT: Didn't know Dapol had plans to do a class 29.

I would like to see both the class 04 and the J72 get a revamp.

The 04 is/was a very nice model let down by an old split chassis that I've had mixed results from on around five examples. One even failed on running in from new as the wheels were loose on the axles. Another burnt out its motor for no reason that I could fathom and yet another runs very hesitantly and slowly even on full power with a nasty smell that suggests that its motor isn't far off expiring. An updated 04 could proove an easy forage into industrial locomotives for Bachmann as plenty were sold on into industrial service. The pair that Ford had at Daganham would make nice models.

The J72 really is ready for a major update. A great model in its day, I think it is older than I am. I have a single example that no longer runs and lives in a display cabinet. Careful redesign might make other similar classes like the J71 (IIRC) possible too. As others have said, it was a numerous locomotive with a long life and quite a few liveries. If they don't update it themselves I can see it getting picked off by another manufacturer eventually.

More reliveries of existing models would be a safe commercial option for them. In many ways it would be nice to have more choice on existing models without having to wait years for them to be rereleased with different running numbers. I had to wait nearly 15 years to get a second 16 ton mineral in Olive green!

Could a centre car for the class 101s be done as an available on its own option in the way that extra cars for the Pendelino were? They would then have the option of selling three car formations as well as extra centre cars for those with two car units that they want to expand.

Some pre-grouping brake vans would be nice to compliment the rise in pregrouping liveried locomotives being released. That way we can at least have something to match at the end of a rake of pretty private owner wagons (ignoring the fact that they are post 1923 designed wagons). Would either version of the MR brake that they recently released be suitable for a release in MR livery?

The Robinson 8K in ROD guise would be an obvious shoe-in for the first world war commemorations.

• RMweb Gold

I often take part in operations on a friend's layout which provides enough work for five J39s.

One of his recently died and a BR4 mogul has taken over its duties, which is probably quite prototypical.

However, another now seems to be on the way out so, despite my own Southern preferences, I hope this loco is high on the re-chassis schedule.

John

I would like to see them do an Electrostar.I'll see myself out.

Me too as there a lots of varieties, however the price of a 4 car unit will almost certainly well over £200 and the market for this units is limited so I doubt it will ever happen.

The reality the old guard is fast puffing out of the station and the new guard is much smaller in numbers and in a lot of cases does not have the disposable income to purchase modern model railways items given the now eye watering prices!

I am sure I will be accused of being merchant of DOTH again however I cannot see any green shoots of recovery for the hobby anytime soon. If I was a model railway manufacturer I would certainly be not be sleeping easily now!

Good luck to Bachamann and the other manufactures for the coming year which is going to be a tough one again!

As an aside if the I work in IT management where salaries are currently @ 25 -40% lower than 4 years ago and live in a World of working on short duration contracts with gaps in between so my spend om model railways is now a shadow of the past and I am sure that I not alone !

Time for the annual wish list!

1) Revised DRS livery 57/3

2) Northern belle 57/3s!

3) west coast railways 57/3

4) New style lighting 66/4 in DRS

66750 with GBRF 'bug eyes' or the 6674x grey import 66s

Would really like some of the special livery 66/7s like 709/720/718(especially)721

And an 87 would be lovely!

What I would really like to see, to help out the less-well off modeller, is Bachmann releasing DCC-ready chassis that would fit the old Mainline Manors, GW moguls, 56xx tanks, Jubilees, Scots, Warships, J72s etc. The bodies weren't that bad, and they can be picked up cheaply, as their motors are/were rubbish.

It just seems a waste to have all those old models kicking around on eBay and at swapmeets, that no-one wants because they don't run properly.

If Bachmann won't do it, maybe DJ would consider it?

Archived