Bachmann 2015/16 Speculation ... or Divination 101 as it is known on the Hogwarts Express

Ozexpatriate

Red LMS "standard" Compound.  The NRM must have shifted their Midland liveried examples by now so any embargo (assuming it existed) on crimson Compounds in the main range can be lifted.

Arriva-WAG livery for the yet to be released new tool 158?  Similarly the new 150 could also sport the same colours, or is that just a bit too much like joined up thinking? Personally I would also love a Regional Railways branded Centro unit (without the white stripes by the doors) but it's probably a bit soon for that even though 150202 seems to be selling well at the box shifters judging by the "number in stock" figures.  An original Provincial "Sprinter" liveried 150/2 unit as first introduced to Trans Pennine services would be nice, as would an original two tone blue 150/1 unless Trains 4U are going to resurrect their exclusive edition using the new tooling.

I must admit though my ultimate less than dry dream-list would be a 323, only two body mouldings to manufacture, little separately fitted expensive detailing needed, a whole range of attractive and less than attractive colour schemes and geographically more widespread than the Aspinal Radial or Brighton tanks, and time wise bridges (just) the 85 and 90...

RE: GWR Coaches

Off the top of my head possibilities include:

• Seven Valley - Some SVR based GWR locos & coaches to go with the Highley station buildings

SVR-based GWR coaches like these? Churchward toplights would be lovely. It's a great idea.

Dont forget the SVR collets as well for the coaches.

Indeed I haven't.

On the coaching stock front a possible revamp for the Colletts but they will be joining a queue,

There is quite a queue already, but there is also a pattern:

• 2011 LMS Porthole coaches
  • 2013 SR (SECR) Birdcage stock
  • 201? LNER Thompson Teak gangwayed stock

Next in the progression could well be GWR.

It still feels hard to believe it would happen. Were Bachmann Branch-Line do a range of GWR coaches (even a modest range of say three) it would feel to me like a confident statement that they are declaring themselves to be the premier British outline/00 RTR manufacturer. They've kind of being doing things that "Hornby doesn't do" which is the role a niche player does. Doing mainstream GWR coaches makes a big statement.

So which ones? In my mind there are two leading contenders:

Churchward toplight coaches
PROs: Very highly polled, really beautiful coaches and possible tie-ins with preservation groups like the SVR.
CONs: A diagramatic nightmare with lots of variations in building and modification over the years.

Collett 57' bow-ended coaches
PROs: A very pragmatic solution. They were generally longer lasting in service and better suited to nationalization modellers, which of course are the bulk of Bachmann's customers. Plus their variations are much less complex than the toplight minefield.
CONs: Perhaps they are too close to the existing Collett stock that Bachmann announced as reissues (but not produced) ever since the Dukedog was announced. These now have a delivery schedule for Aug/Sep of 2015.

That last thought might be a clue. Committing to a delivered date for the Collett stock really reduces the likelihood of seeing a GWR announcement this year. (They've been promised for years now.)

Either the toplights or later 57' bow-ended coaches would be delightful to me, but the question is what will Bachmann do?

The progression suggests it could be the turn of the GWR, but it would be very surprising to see them do two sets of GWR coaches at once.

Perhaps they will do something unexpected like some non-gangwayed stock or we see a bigger announcement next year?

. 'Everyone' has a J72, and they do last mechanically,

Cant say I agree with this. Over time the plating wears off the wheels, making pick up poor, the muffs crack, makinging wheels wobble, and the high gearing makes for poor low speed performance. I've been loathe to invest in replacement chassis for mine because of Bachmann's promise to produce new ones, so they've been oou for several years. A revised J72 might also make a J73 possible too.

I think a Class 450 version of the "Desiro" would be a relative lucrative easy win.................

Any BR era wagon that's not already available as a flippin' kit...................... Oh hang on I'm repeating myself from last years thread.

What about doing the MSV with the correct 8-shoe clasp u/f or re-vamping the 12t BR van with an 8-shoe u/f or anything with an 8-shoe clasp u/f

I think, throwing my hat into the ring on this on we'll see:

Expanded Scenecraft items.

More liveries on the Class 150 - New ATW, Silverlink, Wessex or FGW Local Lines - Now that RealTrack have shown it can be done.

New DRS livery and Northern Belle liveried Class 57/3s - Although hopefully not less than reliable 57310!

EWS, Intercity, DRS, WCRC and BR Blue / Large Logo on the Class 47s.

AWT & ScotRail Class 158s.

Weathered BR Blue - Grey Mk1s.

More liveries on the forthcoming Mk2s.

WCRC Mk1/Mk2s?

HQA Yellow Autoballasters.

As for new tooling, I reckon we'll see something on the lines of a new Class 175 in the next year from any of the manufacturers, a Class 172 seems likely from Bachmann having already produced the Voyager and Turbostars. Refurbished 4 CEPs? A HAP? Gatwick Mk2s & MLV?

And possibly more connections to the EFE ranges - motorised Tube Stock, New Buses?

• RMweb Premium

Errrrr - 66701 was the very first 66 released by Bachmann - I have a spare one if you want....... ( My first 66701 was repainted into EWS red/gold and is a long serving stalwart of Blackmill and New Bryford!)

HQA Yellow Autoballasters.

The HQA's are too different to a JJA to justify a release (if only because I have 5xJJA's to convert). Apart from a new bogie tooling there are very obvious differences in other details. From memory - door brackets, air tanks, brake wheels, buffers on the outer two, fixed buckeyes on all the other inter-set coupling. Slightly different hoods above the platforms.

I can't see Bachy simply re-liverying a model that would be unacceptably incorrect in this day and age.

As well as the need for a five-set of HQA's (Single JJA's are not uncommon). Given the level of detail on the autoballasters, today's RRP may be a bit mouth-watering for a five-set.

They'd be better off doing a painted out "Railtrack" branded JJA.

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann's been carving a niche in the market for preserved pre-grouping loco classes so this year they'll announce a GER/LNER N7 0-6-2T and a SECR H 0-4-4T, with another announcement from this year's Collector's Club preserved railway visit.

They could also announce a GWR Large Prairie tank which would fill a gap currently covered by the aging Airfix/Hornby version.

A Great Central Rly and/or SECR Dance Hall brake van could be on the cards. I suspect they want to release new versions of their Bulleid carriages already in N scale but may not be this year.

In terms of diesel and electric outline, I can see them focusing on 2-car units due to increasing production costs in China so they'll announce 2-car power-trailer 101s in NSE and Regional Railways liveries.

They may announce a 2-HAP unit in conjunction with the NRM as there's a group cosmetically restoring one for the 30th anniversary of the launch of Network SouthEast in 2016 http://www.networksoutheast.net/project-commuter.html

In OO9 they'll announce the Baldwin 2-4-2T in L&B and Southern liveries - they've done the SR version in G scale.

As DJM, Hornby etc have released or announced a few industrial locomotives we might be given a gem from the other side of the tracks.  Perhaps a 0-6-0DH Hunslet or a nice steamer such as a Manning Wardle.

Many industrials without checking could possibly have similar (if not identical) wheel spacing as some of the shunters already in production thus essentially would be a new body on existing mechanicals.

As I've said on another thread, I think an unrebuilt Merchant Navy in OO (already done in N) is likely. Hornby have had an open goal on this for ages, but we've had the P2, DoG & Clans instead.

I would like to see a re-tooled GW mogul, especially the batch without the weird middle splasher (53xx) which you see in all the photos from the 1950s and 60s, but has never been made RTR.

I would love to see an N7, a J69, LBSCR K mogul and any Scottish loco - Pickersgill 4-4-0, Caley Jumbo or 812, North British 4-4-0, J36 or J37, or Gordon Highlander.

Most of all I would love to see the North British loco (a Crampton?) that was painted tartan for Queen Victoria. Oh, and a broad gauge Lord of the Isles!

Criswell predicts... I'd expect another 0-6-0t, I'm more convinced we'd see a P or J69 than a revamped J72 or standard-gauge industrial. And pray not another J50.

Perhaps some 009 Simplexes (with some kind of trailer for pick-ups?) and a couple of WW1 road vehicles - and maybe a tank or armoured car - to tie in with Somme commemorations. Beyond that... :dontknow:

I think they do something seen in use between 1804 and 2015..... :jester:

Or a LSWR Radial Tank :tomato:

Seriously though I would thought a SE&CR 'D' would been a good bet but I said that last year. I went on the basis that they were steadily going though the pre-grouping 4-4-0's of the GWR, LNER, and LMS then the SR would be next but instead they came out with a GNR Atlantic...

I did have a passing thought as they then to do things in threes (i.e. three GCR engines for example) a third LB&SCR engine might appear.

I don't know I give up...

Well, how about a class 07 shunter. DJM said that several people were looking at it, but no announcements yet.

How about an upgraded class 20 with lights (technical services or BRT branded would be good)

Early centro 150 as well and a 323 just to please Mark W.

Fingers crossed

Hi,

I'm thinking that a new model of 35028 'Clan Line' is probably likely, to current spec with tender mounted air brake equipment and working LED lighting.

This would coincide nicely with the ten year overhaul and subsequent return to the mainline..........

Why do I think this?....

....cos I'm doing a few mods on mine at this very moment !

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

Given that Graham Hubbard has only recently retired (and given his apparent antipathy to the line) I'd be very surprised to see anything NER this year.

I DO hope I'm wrong!

A DCC compliant J72 would be nice and given work on recreating a prototype it would be nice to see a G5.

For a more modern prototype has the 4MT been a good enough seller for a 3MT to be viable?

Just a few thoughts.

Les

In OO9 they'll announce the Baldwin 2-4-2T in L&B and Southern liveries - they've done the SR version in G scale.

Very nice Lyn looks in G scale too.

I like this observation. If Bachmann haven't already thought of it, I hope they see your post and put two and two together, but it's a terrific guess and a great idea.

I bet they could bring it to market faster than the Heljan Manning-Wardle too.

• RMweb Premium

I think a j6 is a distinct possibility. It's a long lived loco (pre grouping to late crest IIRC) and has featured on many wish lists over the years

As has been said before though, with lead times approaching 3 years for previous announcements it's difficult to get enthusiastic. The birdcages for example, coming up for 3 years since the announcement and still no sign of engineering samples.

Factually incorrect I'm afraid. The birdcages were announced in March 2013 - two years ago, not three. We should be careful to get facts right before making such comments.

• RMweb Gold

Factually incorrect I'm afraid. The birdcages were announced in March 2013 - two years ago, not three. We should be careful to get facts right before making such comments.

However, Bachmann's announcements are supposedly of models they plan to RELEASE in the coming 18 months.

For items where no EP sample has emerged after almost two years, and given that (first) EP sample to release generally takes 9-12 months, it is increasingly clear that we need to double the gestation period for a number of models still outstanding from the 2013 announcements.

John

• RMweb Gold

I think we need to appreciate that due to the Kader factory upheaval and what followed in China Kader would appear to have lost quite a chunk of time - for both development and production.  This has obviously pushed some thing back in their development timescales but has not deterred Bachmann from making new announcements in the past year.  Thus I don't necessarily see Bachmann being deterred from making announcemnents of new models and re-liveries etc in this calendar year and at the same time updating us on progress with previous announcements.

It is also pretty clear that if models aren't quite right at the various stages of UK approval they can lose their original production slots as the overall process is delayed in consequence.  After the debacle with the 'Halls' (various) some time back I'm happier to wait for them to get it right rather than put up with avoidable errors.  As ever I look forward to their announcements this year although, possible re-tooled 'Manor' apart I doubt there'll be very much in it for me other than - potentially - some rolling stock.  And as long as they are making announcements and issuing updates it shows they're still in business.

Archived