Bachmann 2015/16 Speculation ... or Divination 101 as it is known on the Hogwarts Express

Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

The Merchant Navy is a perennial pick. The question is who will do one. It seemed so obviously the kind of model that Hornby would do, excepting their recent history of supply chain problems, it's otherwise surprising that they have not done it.

If Bachmann decided to do one, my guess would be that this would represent the third batch - which I believe to be the most representative for people with nationalization era layouts, and not the choice of people who want the Merchant Navy for the 'look'. Doubtless that choice would disappoint some.

Given that all the Merchant Navies survived to be rebuilt between 1956 and 1959, no batch can be considered more or less representative than any other for those of us with nationalisation era layouts. 

If you really mean that any model is more likely to represent a loco in BR condition (i.e. after earlier batches had received modifications bringing their appearance more into line with that of Batch 3). I am inclined to agree.

The last two of the class to be rebuilt came from batches 1 (35006) and 3 (35028). Despite having different tenders, the variations between the locos themselves were, by then, not so great as to exceed the adaptability of modern tooling to produce both.  

I think a big factor in Hornby ignoring the air-smoothed MN for so long has been that they consider that the one (most) modellers want is as I have described, whereas the collectors and the non-SR fans who want something striking for the display cabinet, would prefer 21C1, "Channel Packet" in as-built condition.

Do Bachmann think the same way, I wonder?

John

• RMweb Premium

I thi

Seriously though I would thought a SE&CR 'D' would been a good bet but I said that last year. I went on the basis that they were steadily going though the pre-grouping 4-4-0's of the GWR, LNER, and LMS then the SR would be next but instead they came out with a GNR Atlantic...

I'd go on the basis that the 'D' is gorgeous and they've surely had enough practice of SECR livery on its dumpy little sister by now. It is an NRM engine of course as previously pointed out, but if Locomotion continue to insist on doing aesthetically challenged types I don't see why Bachmann mainstream shouldn't nip in.

I'd buy a Midland 0-4-4T to go with my Radial tank, but with the Coal Tank still awaited that's a long shot this year.

As much as I would love Bachmann to do a class 31 in 00 I can,t see it happening, the Hornby one is not that bad although I acknowledge they have not exploited a lot of the livery opportunities. I think a 101 centre car is likely as part of a 3 car set. A 120 has been muted before and the 119 is also an easy variant to follow.

I will leave speculation on steam era to others but I would be surprised if some more 009 stock is not announced, would be nice to see some WHR/FR locos.

Two items I forgot ;

1:  The Bulleid coaches left the range about three (????) years ago and all Southern fans thought they would be due for an upgrade and re-introduction.  With Hornby's Maunsells out of the picture this would seem an opportune time.

2:  There are two non-normal rolling stock items which tend towards the top of the wish list, a decent high-detail crane (45- or 75-tons) to replace the poor quality Hornby one and operating level crossings.   I can't really see the first for cost reasons, and the second would need to be very robust for the younger members of the buying public (do any European HO manufacturers produce such items ?)

is the crane really high on wishlists? and is the Hornby version really all that bad for what is really more of a static display model than a working one on most layouts or is everyone now modelling track lifting or post crash site clearances lol........

My prediction is the GWR 74xx.  The 64xx should hit the shops fairly soon, so I guess the 74xx will be swift on its heels either this year or next.

My speculation is for a working GWR over-girder 65' turntable.  Now that would be nice!

I would love a return to sensible prices, but think that's probably wishful thinking! To be fair to Bachmann their loco prices aren't too bad (especially compared with Team Red) but their wagon and coach prices are getting a little silly. It's funny because I think Hornby's rolling stock prices are entirely reasonable, but their loco prices are ludicrous! 

Anyhow, I think it will be a conservative year for announcements. I can't see them making a Class 59 with DJM in development and already announcing delays due to problems with getting licenses for liveries. Certainly repeats of models already done will be high on the agenda. For the diesel and electric I'm more familiar with I think more 37s and 47s will be the order of the day, along with more liveries of Mk1s and Mk2s. If they have any sense they'll do more blue/grey Mk2a TSOs. I foresee the Polybulk dying of death. I don't think the UK market is ready for a £50 wagon however splendid it may be. If it had come a year or two earlier I think that would have seen "Grainflow" livery to match Model Rail's exclusive Class 37.  

i somehow think that we may not see these outstanding models until Bachmann look at retooling the whole mk1 coach range (improvements to roof ribs or dcc on board maybe like the new mk2f coaches) its been that long now. 

The latest Mk1s don't have roof ribs at all. It shows that Bachmann aren't averse to modifying existing toolings. I think we may see an FO and BSO, but probably not this year. 

• RMweb Premium

I would love a return to sensible prices, but think that's probably wishful thinking! To be fair to Bachmann their loco prices aren't too bad (especially compared with Team Red) but their wagon and coach prices are getting a little silly. It's funny because I think Hornby's rolling stock prices are entirely reasonable, but their loco prices are ludicrous! 

[snip]

The latest Mk1s don't have roof ribs at all. It shows that Bachmann aren't averse to modifying existing toolings. I think we may see an FO and BSO, but probably not this year.

I can't agree with you on loco pricing; Bachmann's steam loco prices are heading pretty much into the same ballpark as Hornby's. It just seems Bachmann's are a lot cheaper because their prices are playing catch-up. For hi-if diesels, yes Hornby's prices are still a bit higher but again I can't see that being the case for long with the year-on-year increases advised by Bachmann.

As regards the Mk1s, Bachmann has said that some of its original tooling had been worn out and some models - presumably those now with smooth roofs such as the CK - have new tooling. No doubt the others will follow over time.

• RMweb Gold

I foresee the Polybulk dying of death. I don't think the UK market is ready for a £50 wagon however splendid it may be. If it had come a year or two earlier I think that would have seen "Grainflow" livery to match Model Rail's exclusive Class 37.

I thought the "Grainflow" livery applied to a *different* type of Polybulk?

• RMweb Premium

It did; one that was quite a bit longer, and with a different system of loading hatches.

And the version a lot of people would have preferred was the Bachmann model.

Are the tools worn out I thought that the retooling would only apply to ribbless roofs?

I don't recall Bachmann being that specific but I assumed they meant the tooling for the whole coaches as it seemed unlikely the roof tooling would wear out faster than say the body sides.

• RMweb Gold

Issue the 22xx with the 3000 gallon tender from the GWR city model which would then give the 4 main variants of tender as used by aforesaid loco.

And all at no tooling cost

Of course if they could re tool the 22xx at the same time that would be a bonus.

And the version a lot of people would have preferred was the Bachmann model.

I don't recall Bachmann being that specific but I assumed they meant the tooling for the whole coaches as it seemed unlikely the roof tooling would wear out faster than say the body sides.

I've seen a bck, sk and ck without ribs. Sadly didn't purchase but it would prove interesting to know ...

What I would like to see in the next Bachmann catalogue are some new versions of the LMS 1F and 4F, preferably late crest weathered ones, as well as an early crest fully lined D11 (not weathered), to recreate the Ian Allan Pennine Pullman railtour. And also a Standard 5MT black lined livery late crest with the smaller tender, like the colour photo of Linette at Bath Green Park in my old 1960s Observers Book of Trains.

In the Scenecraft range I would love to see a low relief decent-size Victorian 2-storey station building (they only ever seem to do country stations), some realistic looking terrace house backs (rather than the weird ones they've done so far), and a smallish set of colliery screens.

Don't think I've mentioned the Fell for quite a long time. Saw this lovely model built from an A1 Kit last night (photo attached). Sadly not mine. Doesn't she look good in the lined BR green she carried from March 1957?! The Fell did get 157 votes in the last wishlist, around the same as the LMS Period 3 Suburbans!

If any company were to produce a ready to run Fell, I'd be straight in there with my hard earned cash!

My all time favourite Diesel, ugly as sin, but marvelous.

Archived