RMweb

Hornby Merchant Navy announced (formerly Facebook leak)

miles73128

• RMweb Gold

Mike Green's Golden Age 0 gauge model of Royal Mail at the Purbeck Model Railway Group's layout for comparison with the Hornby model. The shade of green looks the same colour. The nameplates look more realistic than the Hornby version. Although Channel Packet's smoke deflectors were part of the air smoothed casing the ends of the smoke deflectors look thinner than on the Hornby model. The Golden Age model has a roof covering between the engine and the tender. The window frames are green on the Golden Age model but silver on the Hornby model.

Robin

The window frames on 21C1 in the condition in which it is being released by Hornby ie Feb to May 1941 are correctly painted silver. Those on their release of 21C3 are correctly green.

• RMweb Gold

Had a fair bit of rouge tonight and in a state of "sod it" can someone just confirm for me, on rails of Sheffield, if you preorder do you have to pay upfront or like Hattons do you pay when the item is ready to ship? I can't see it in the small print anywhere...

I've pre-ordered several times from Rails recently (although not for the MN) and they've always billed only on dispatch.

Award given for most crazy location it ends up in....

One firm left a parcel with a model locomotive under Mike's van so he was pleased that he went into his house to find the note before driving off. Mike is another member of the Purbeck Model Railway Group. The Royal Mail left a parcel containing a Wrenn Corfe Castle on the door step of another Mike's house in Corfe Castle and someone stole the parcel so you cannot win. After I took up the matter of leaving parcels outside or not ringing my bell before leaving a note saying I was in to the Royal Mail head office a couple of times they have become very efficient at delivering parcels. I usually tell Hattons to deliver by Royal Mail and not to use any other courier. I think Rails send them by Royal Mail anyway.

I am tempted to order Royal Mail. I think it will look better than Channel Packet. I am planning to wait and see which other Merchant Navies Hornby announce next year before buying another one. I would like to support one of my local shops but I have not seen any of them advertising a Merchant Navy.

• RMweb Gold

We had a parcel left recently and a note put through the door saying "left in back porch". This amused me as we have no back porch - found said parcel just sitting on the patio in the rain. Was not amused anymore :-(

Best parcel company in this area is DPD.

Roy

When my T9 was delivered by Royal Mail it had been chucked over my garden gate and left out in the rain, despite having 'fragile' printed all over it, no note left, it was also supposed to be signed for. When I flagged it up with Royal Mail they said it had been signed for and weren't really prepared to admit they'd done anything wrong. Fortunately the train was unharmed.

• RMweb Premium

When my T9 was delivered by Royal Mail it had been chucked over my garden gate and left out in the rain, despite having 'fragile' printed all over it, no note left, it was also supposed to be signed for. When I flagged it up with Royal Mail they said it had been signed for and weren't really prepared to admit they'd done anything wrong. Fortunately the train was unharmed.

New Zealand couriers can be the same unfortunately. Some are very good and knock on the door, even if the parcel doesn't need signed for, some stand at the bottom of my steps and chuck it up to the door.

General Steam Navigation with a cut down tender and late crest would be nice Hornby.

Plus if Hornby wanted to push the boat out they could also put a high sided light Pacific tender behind the following loco's 35021/22/23/24/25/26/27. All entered traffic with light Pacific tenders.

Edited by Train wasp
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Plus if Hornby wanted to push the boat out they could also put a high sided light Pacific tender behind the following loco's 35021/22/23/24/25/26/27. All entered traffic with light Pacific tenders.

Just for correctness 35023 actually entered service with its correct 6000gal tender from new see https://grahammuz.com/2013/05/09/talking-stock-24-3rd-series-merchant-navy-initial-livery-variations/ also note that some received temporary 4500 or 5500 gallon light Pacific tenders

Here is my version of 35022 as first introduced in unlined malachite

350221.jpg

Note that brake gear is still to be fitted.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

It is now only about 10 days until the first ones arrive at Hornby - has anyone seen any pictures of the real models, particularly 21C1 wth its "gun-metal plates"?  The last note on the Engne Shed back in November said "Obviously like with all pre-production samples we receive there are inevitably things that need changing and altering slightly. You’ll notice that the green on the wheels is slightly different to that of the green on the body and also some the nameplates and running number's placement needs some attention so that it fits exactly between the yellow lines. However, do not fret, our team in the factory are aware of these and a few other minor errors and are making the changes as you read this"  The pictures on the Hornby webste and various suppliers still show a computer Picture with the "cardboard label" plates.  I would be very interested to know if anyone has more information as I am thinkng of cancelling my order if Hornby can't get this right.

It is now only about 10 days until the first ones arrive at Hornby - has anyone seen any pictures of the real models, particularly 21C1 wth its "gun-metal plates"?  The last note on the Engne Shed back in November said "Obviously like with all pre-production samples we receive there are inevitably things that need changing and altering slightly. You’ll notice that the green on the wheels is slightly different to that of the green on the body and also some the nameplates and running number's placement needs some attention so that it fits exactly between the yellow lines. However, do not fret, our team in the factory are aware of these and a few other minor errors and are making the changes as you read this"  The pictures on the Hornby webste and various suppliers still show a computer Picture with the "cardboard label" plates.  I would be very interested to know if anyone has more information as I am thinkng of cancelling my order if Hornby can't get this right.

Looks like being a very popular item. Hornby have sold out their pre-order allocation.

You will have no difficulty returning it or selling it on if you decide you don't like it when you receive it.

On the other hand if you cancel you may not get another chance if you decide you do like it after all.

• RMweb Gold

The plates will be separately applied parts but not etched so will be printed plastic which is the standard for Hornby. Whilst I realise this is a compromise as etched plates would look better, at least it should not be too difficult to replace them if you so wish.

Looks like being a very popular item. Hornby have sold out their pre-order allocation.

You will have no difficulty returning it or selling it on if you decide you don't like it when you receive it.

On the other hand if you cancel you may not get another chance if you decide you do like it after all.

Glad I have pre-ordered mine fully-paid from Derails Models if they're sold out. I got my H&P Peckett from them. If it's got 3mm axles then I've got the P4 wheelsets sitting here ready .....!

The plates will be separately applied parts but not etched so will be printed plastic which is the standard for Hornby. Whilst I realise this is a compromise as etched plates would look better, at least it should not be too difficult to replace them if you so wish.

I was thinking of that, but where can one get plates from?  I have looked at Fox and Modelmaster but they only seem to do the nameplates.

Funnily enough I've got the nameplates/numberplates set for one of these somewhere. Bought for a project a long time ago.

I think mine are CGW 

EDIT:

Yes. CGW. http://www.cgwnameplates.co.uk/index.htm.

Page 9 http://www.cgwnameplates.co.uk/page9.htm

However they DON'T include transfers for the badge. I've no idea where you can get those from.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

Yes. CGW. http://www.cgwnameplates.co.uk/index.htm.

Page 9 http://www.cgwnameplates.co.uk/page9.htm

However they DON'T include transfers for the badge. I've no idea where you can get those from.

Albert Goodall produced transfers for all the Bulleid crests. Someone here will tell you who took over his range.

All the etched plates and transfers for the as-built 21C1 are around, if not currently in production.