Bachmann Branchline announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Not the dearest one I've seen!

I missed out when they came out and changed my mind about wanting one as soon as the aftermarket price went over £100.

Have now filled the space in my cabinet with something else so I don't want one at all.

Some mug will pay it.

John

• RMweb Gold

No surprises there, which is why I thought that a 009 version of Lyn from Bachmann might make sense - perhaps even more sense than the Baldwin 4-6-0. One hopes the 4-6-0 will appear before the centenary of Armistice day to honour the marketed tie-in.

More likely the centenary of D-Day :jester:

Rather like those Five Boys chocolate bars the Fry's used to make when I was a lad.

John

I suspect the "expressions" would be in reverse order.

Not that I remember them personally of course.

RP

• RMweb Premium

That is not expensive for such a nice model   (Sarcasm smiley)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Branchline-31-460-Class-C-Wainwright-0-6-0-592-in-SE-CR-lined-green-/161595249345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item259fd3d2c1

Now that is expensive - plus the guy want £75 postage to France!!!

That is not expensive for such a nice model   (Sarcasm smiley)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bachmann-Branchline-31-460-Class-C-Wainwright-0-6-0-592-in-SE-CR-lined-green-/161595249345?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item259fd3d2c1

Now that is expensive - plus the guy want £75 postage to France!!!

Has N gauge and this, seems to me brought for profit. 

I've not read the whole thread so excuse me if this has been covered but I have been wondering if Bachmann were going to announce their flagship new OO model to be the much expected Merchant Navy. After Hornby's pre-emptive strike and within a very short space of time, they decided to can the Spam-can leaving this years line up looking a little thinner than expected. Just a thought.

True but.....

Bachmann's style (making models of prototypes that aren't high profile headline-grabbers that "everybody" wants) means they have to create appeal beyond the "must have" buyers who will be relatively undeterred by higher prices to the "I fancy one of those" contingent who may be put off to a greater or lesser extent. 

John

but thats just rainbow chasing - the prices (if we stick to talking purely about current or future hifi models) will not be coming down only going up or at times possibly levelling for a while.......they certainly wont be dropping to create that appeal you speak of.  you dont mention any other angle but if i was to take a flier I could see a slim chance of your theory working in practice if Bachmann were to adopt something along the lines of a Railroad-esque range.

• RMweb Premium

I've not read the whole thread so excuse me if this has been covered but I have been wondering if Bachmann were going to announce their flagship new OO model to be the much expected Merchant Navy. After Hornby's pre-emptive strike and within a very short space of time, they decided to can the Spam-can leaving this years line up looking a little thinner than expected. Just a thought.

Well we know now that if Hornby hadn't got there first, we would have seen the J50 and S15 in the Bachmann line up. If you assume 3 livery / other variations per class then Bachmann are technically down by 6 locos - although if you factor in the NER tank (which I'd said to be a replacement for the J50 and something that can make use of the work done this far on the chassis) then the shortfall comes down to 3.

I think perhaps the bigger suppose is the lack of a new coach range - over previous years we have had the Portholes, re-tooled Thomsons, SECR birdcages announced (even if most are still some way from being ready for production). Bullied or some Collett designs were all on the radar of possible options and would have certainly been well recieved.

As for a Nerchant Navy if Bachmann were considering doing one and dropped the idea because they got wind Hornby were doing one why not say so? Bachmann were quite open with being piped to the post by Hornby when it came to the S15 and J50 so why should a MN be any different.

In reality it doesn't mater what they may or may not have wished to anounce - it's no secret that Bachmann are suffering production problems not that dissimilar to Hornby were a couple of years ago. This combined with personnel shortages plus several locos / coaches that are not exactly easy to convert into RTR (LBSCR / GNR Atlantics that must go round radius 2 curves and birdcage coaches where NONE of the type Bachmann are planning to produce actuall exist in prototype form anymore - Birdcage coachescame with lots of different moulding styled depending on the date of construction) means anouncing a large number of new products would not have been a sensible move.

• RMweb Gold

This as I have stated before in this thread is simply not the case. As the fully printed substantial catalogues, with no missing or torn out pages, were handed out to us on the day yesterday there was no Merchant Navy planned for this year and speaking to the head of R&D it will not be produced by them in 00.

Then there are all what i would call the bad announcements when the manufacturers must know that from concept to delivery is going to take years...

For me at least this sort of announcement triggers a logical chain of emotions. initial excitement, anticipation, then when the delays set in, frustration, anger, forget it!

My advice to all the model manufacturers would be; choose a prototype,research it,tool up then tell us about it a couple of months before it arrives!.

...only to find that one of your competitors has done exactly the same thing with the very same model.  Surely this would be an even worse faux pas?

Really, if we see a completely new model announced where we know new tooling has to be developed from scratch, then do we not by now realize the timescales involved to final production?  Frustration, anger and some of the illogical emotions described I could understand from a 10 year old, but come on guys we are adults are we not...  where patience is key...

My advice would be read the announcement, then in the meantime go off and tackle some actual modelling on existing projects.  At least with a long announcement time-frame this allows the individual to plan his/her budget accordingly in plenty of time.

• RMweb Gold

but thats just rainbow chasing - the prices (if we stick to talking purely about current or future hifi models) will not be coming down only going up or at times possibly levelling for a while.......they certainly wont be dropping to create that appeal you speak of.  you dont mention any other angle but if i was to take a flier I could see a slim chance of your theory working in practice if Bachmann were to adopt something along the lines of a Railroad-esque range.

The snag is that most coaches aren't like the LMS Inspection Coach or the Hawksworth Auto-trailer which, with the addition of a loco, form a complete train. I wonder how many who were anticipating buying four auto-coaches will now settle for two?

If the prices of the Birdcage coaches match that of the Auto-trailer, I think £210 (r.r.p) for a 3-coach set would quickly expose how badly people want them.

Again, I can envisage some potential customers who were intending to buy a couple of sets making do with one. Others, like me, who find them attractive but can only run them by invoking  "Rule 1" will balance a purchasing decision against items they may want more.  

I already have enough coaches to stock any layout I'll ever have room for twice three times over and I don't actually "need" any more. If there's nothing higher in my list of priorities in the offing, I'll probably buy a set but if they turn up at the same time as (for instance) the Hornby S15s, they'll have no chance. Hence, I have cancelled my pre-orders.

If this sort of pricing is repeated with prototypes that people want in larger numbers, they will be inclined to buy fewer of them at one time meaning that Bachmann or their stockists will be left carrying inventory for longer than they have been accustomed to. If they react by making smaller batches there is a danger of forcing prices even higher.

If I hadn't already got numerous Bachmann Mk.1s, the Railroad ones (with a bit of tweaking) would be good enough for me. For bread-and-butter stock, this may be the way to go - those of us who like the details that can't be seen in a moving train can add them ourselves and sales to those who aren't bothered (but are more price sensitive) ensure the batch sizes remain commercially viable.

It will be interesting to see what balance of detail and price Hornby (or maybe Oxford Rail) decide on for their next new coach range, whenever and whatever it turns out to be.

John

The snag is that most coaches aren't like the LMS Inspection Coach or the Hawksworth Auto-trailer which, with the addition of a loco, form a complete train. I wonder how many who were anticipating buying four auto-coaches will now settle for two?

If the prices of the Birdcage coaches match that of the Auto-trailer, I think £210 (r.r.p) for a 3-coach set would quickly expose how badly people want them.

Again, I can envisage some potential customers who were intending to buy a couple of sets making do with one. Others, like me, who find them attractive but can only run them by invoking  "Rule 1" will balance a purchasing decision against items they may want more.  

I already have enough coaches to stock any layout I'll ever have room for twice three times over and I don't actually "need" any more. If there's nothing higher in my list of priorities in the offing, I'll probably buy a set but if they turn up at the same time as (for instance) the Hornby S15s, they'll have no chance. Hence, I have cancelled my pre-orders.

If this sort of pricing is repeated with prototypes that people want in larger numbers, they will be inclined to buy fewer of them at one time meaning that Bachmann or their stockists will be left carrying inventory for longer than they have been accustomed to. If they react by making smaller batches there is a danger of forcing prices even higher.

If I hadn't already got numerous Bachmann Mk.1s, the Railroad ones (with a bit of tweaking) would be good enough for me. For bread-and-butter stock, this may be the way to go - those of us who like the details that can't be seen in a moving train can add them ourselves and sales to those who aren't bothered (but are more price sensitive) ensure the batch sizes remain commercially viable.

It will be interesting to see what balance of detail and price Hornby (or maybe Oxford Rail) decide on for their next new coach range, whenever and whatever it turns out to be.

John

An interesting post - indeed are there many who'll want/or be able to spend £210 on a three coach set? I find not the the birdcages but other items appealing but as a hobby and the costs associated with these items are  unsustainable. The mk1's not long ago were under £20, now the RTR is  between £35-£40.

I'm not asking if they'll be good value - i.e. compared with a hand-built or attention to detail. But how deeply the modelling community can dig into their pockets.

John

I have order 2 sets of bird cages, but if they are £70 (+ ?) each, I confirm one rake will be dropped.

In fact the high prices has doubtless lead to a conservative program. Bachmann cannot justify investing in a vast range if there are few buyers out there.

Looking at the compound prices now leads me to believe my Brighton Atlantic will end at a similar price as the NRM Atlantic. Must haves will still be brought but nice to haves will wait for bargain offers. (Anything Bluebell is a must have for me!)

A year ago you could pick up a DCC fitted clas 40 for £90, I wonder what the new batch will be.

My apologies if this has already been mentioned- there are a lot of pages to wade through to find out.

Bachmann seem to have removed the availability status from its web page. Nice of them. One can assume "not in stock", "no idea when" and "perhaps your great grand children might buy this" will replace the options previously used.

An interesting post - indeed are there many who'll want/or be able to spend £210 on a three coach set? I find not the the birdcages but other items appealing but as a hobby and the costs associated with these items are  unsustainable. The mk1's not long ago were under £20, now the RTR is  between £35-£40.

I'm not asking if they'll be good value - i.e. compared with a hand-built or attention to detail. But how deeply the modelling community can dig into their pockets.

If that is right that's almost a  50% mark up, so what happened to the price increase of 15%, Bachmann said last year?

Bachmann seem to have removed the availability status from its web page.

That's new. I was looking at it earlier today and I didn't notice that it was blank. (I can't be sure, but I'm pretty sure the data was there the last time I checked.)

For now I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they plan to update it with the latest data. The legends and the availability column are still there - with no data populated.

It would be a backwards communication step if this information was removed permanently and inconsistent with Bachmann's typically excellent customer communications.

• RMweb Gold

Apparent timeline of a manufacturer's new product announcements. 

Wish listing :mail:- fantasising :locomotive:-  speculation  - elation/despair   :swoon:  - expert analysis :paint: - complaining/resignation :umbrage: -  shopping list  :scratchhead: - funding calculation :read:  - purchase  - frothing - start over again. 

You missed out the following all important steps:

• muttering about the timing.
  • Wishing it was another manufacturer who was making it.
  • ranting about 'massive' problems on the basis of a dodgy camera picture of a protype 3d Print taken throught a smeary display cabinet in bad lighting
  • raging anger about delays in production.
  • complaining about the price rise since it was announced.
  • complaining that someone is selling it to cheap to be fair for other outlets ( a experienced quality poster can do the two last in the same sentence )

I did notice no availability showing.

However - this morning, they ARE showing what is and isn't in stock, and on order.

What is MOST interesting is that LOTS of items just announced (Mk1 BG, Large Logo 47 being but two) - show as IN STOCK with the green tick.

I have to say, I did find some of the announcements VERY interesting - MK1s, MK2 TSOs, The LL 47 being just some, which would hardly require Bachmann to

rig up new tooling, and in the case of the 47, just a lick of paint ;)

This could actually be clever stuff, produce and shift what you can from existing capability rather than get too optimistic (practically all of the other stuff such as DBSO, Mk2Fs etc, still "on order")

Personally I don't think it would do Bachmann any harm to have available a bit more of a core range (Mk1s, 2s) and so on, and possibly just release a few locos with no more than a paint job

(and, not some rare example!) to keep things ticking over.

All I can say is I hope it isn't a mistake on their site - for instance the already announced 47001 (non sound) which was slated nov/dec is now "in stock", although no retailers seem to have them yet!

• RMweb Gold

Well, hopefully another container reached Barwell yesterday and my long awaited BR Green 64XX, Modified Hall, and Porthole BTKs were inside as well as the items gordon1970 talks about. If it cleared customs and reached the warehouse yesterday then retailers should start receiving stock around the weekend. My bank account will be emptier, but I've budgeted for these.

Unfortunately given the past performance of the people who update the stock sections of the website, it is also possible that they've taken everything that was shipped from the factory before the Chinese New Year and added it to "In Stock", whether it has actually arrived yet or not. This is in keeping with the "Arrived in the last 30 days" section, which actually seems to be a list of what's in the warehouse, even if it's been sitting there for 12 months or more. If that's what they want it to be, why not just change the heading! The fact that nothing shows as due in the next 60 days is at least consistent, and the factory won't start shipping again for a couple of months.

Edited to add : As the "Arrived in last 60 days" section also seems to show items that we know perfectly well haven't been manufactured yet like the Autotrailer, I've extended the moths' lease on my wallet.

You missed out the following all important steps:

• muttering about the timing.
  • Wishing it was another manufacturer who was making it.
  • ranting about 'massive' problems on the basis of a dodgy camera picture of a protype 3d Print taken throught a smeary display cabinet in bad lighting
  • raging anger about delays in production.
  • complaining about the price rise since it was announced.
  • complaining that someone is selling it to cheap to be fair for other outlets ( a experienced quality poster can do the two last in the same sentence )

Thanks for expanding on the idea and adding those crucial items I had missed. 

Perhaps we could get Stephen Hawking to develop a mathematical formula for this. The various critical numbers could be input, which would give clear answers to all the questions that people become so concerned about. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for expanding on the idea and adding those crucial items I had missed. 

Perhaps we could get Stephen Hawking to develop a mathematical formula for this. The various critical numbers could be input, which would give clear answers to all the questions that people become so concerned about. 

On no don’t introduce quantum physics into the equation. Models will be both released and not yet manufactured at the same time, You won’t know until you open the box.

Not to mention quantum entanglement theory applied to model trains. It hard enough getting the couplings to uncouple already.

Archived