Bachmann Branchline announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

I don't know how the Bachmann production process runs but it appears the decoration is on before the coach bows seeing as the blood & custard livery is bowed. None of the coaches is out of court as far as I am concerned and as I said earlier, I resprayed a couple in BR maroon and lined then out against a straightedge. The lining was not much further from the middle windows than it was from the outer ones. I should point out that the coaches were photographed using a telephoto lens for compression and to exaggerate the bow.....

attachicon.gifWEB bow 2.jpg

The roof is a separate fitting and may have bowed during refitting....

attachicon.gifWEB Bow 1.jpg

Coachman,

Unfortunately your re-lining accentuates the bow....

The upper picture looks fine to me, as though the coach was over-trussed to allow for passenger weight/sag, such as you see on many empty articulated trailers. It could be that the coach body is held in a fixture for painting which clamps it straight.....

Of course, this all supposes that real coaches were always straight as a die. I remember reading that certain 1st generation DMU stock had trouble when crowded with passengers - the coaches sagged in the middle so much that the doors wouldn't open.

Saw this happen. This would be early 70s. The 125 class dmu I was commuting on from Moorgate stopped at Finsbury Park and a load of commuters from Kings Cross got on. The exasperated platform staff couldn't shut the slam doors, got some people off - the door openings went back to having square corners again and the doors could be shut.

I'd like to think those days were my worst commuting ever, but - no.   :-)

Read an article not so long ago by a guy who had worked at Finsbury Park on dmu maintenance and he said that no-one shed a tear when the 125 type dmus were withdrawn (following suburban electrification). They were the ones with Rolls Royce engines and hydraulic transmission.  The cravens and metro camms wern't so bad (arguably).

Re Bachmann new releases, it would be nice if sometime they made a suburban type dmu (like a 117 etc)  to go with the excellent dmus they have already produced, imho

I couldn't operate the Smilies in Post #637 so apologies if it came over as a but curt. Real coaches were bowed up in the centre, as I found out when videoing in the 1990s, but replicating such things on models comes over a poor modelling. Who would be brave enough to build a Bulleid Pacific complete with all the wavy panels?  Having attempted to build a brass Porthole corridor composite with its unique profile and built corridor brake thirds with lower sides and deeper cantrails (no kit manufacturer does them), I am very appreciative of the trouble Bachmann went to with their new LMS range.

Re Bachmann new releases, it would be nice if sometime they made a suburban type dmu (like a 117 etc)  to go with the excellent dmus they have already produced, imho

Kernow Model Rail Centre announced that they will produce the class 117 WR Suburban DMU in OO Gauge, in conjunction with DJ Models.

...Who would be brave enough to build a Bulleid Pacific complete with all the wavy panels? ...

I'd love a diesel model - the Brush 4 being a good example - in as newly built condition with body side panels 'wavy'. The difficulty is in representing this with sufficient subtlety in 4mm, not to look like poor workmanship. Probably best confined to my imagination, rather than attempted.

I'd love a diesel model - the Brush 4 being a good example - in as newly built condition with body side panels 'wavy'. The difficulty is in representing this with sufficient subtlety in 4mm, not to look like poor workmanship. Probably best confined to my imagination, rather than attempted.

I agree. You might have come across the whitemetal LMS Stanier and GWR large Collett Tenders cast from deteriorating brass Masters where the outer riveted layer has bubbled away from the 'casting thickness' brass. We spent hours trying to minimise the awful effect when in fact it was no worse than what could be found on real Tenders at one time. 

This year will include new-number SR green Mk1s, I see. Looking for an SO recently, I noticed that an early example (but for sale new, therefore I assume not renumbered), 39-053A, is numbered S4040. So far as I can find out, 4040 is actually the running number of a Bulleid BSK. I may of course be wrong!

Can more recent Bachmann SR Mk1 coaches be relied on to be suitably numbered? And, are numbers offered such as can be made up into an authentic set? (And, indeed, do brake ends display set numbers?)

• RMweb Gold

This year will include new-number SR green Mk1s, I see. Looking for an SO recently, I noticed that an early example (but for sale new, therefore I assume not renumbered), 39-053A, is numbered S4040. So far as I can find out, 4040 is actually the running number of a Bulleid BSK. I may of course be wrong!

Can more recent Bachmann SR Mk1 coaches be relied on to be suitably numbered? And, are numbers offered such as can be made up into an authentic set? (And, indeed, do brake ends display set numbers?)

S4040 would be a BR Mk1 SO. The Bulleid BSK would be S4040S, as it was a prenationalisation design.

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann's BR(S) green Mk1 BSK and CK although sold individually have in the past been sold with numbers that will correctly make up a 3-set (but no set numbers on the brake ends):

Set 518 formed BSK S35020 (39-078) + CK S15904 (39-128) + BSK S35021 (39-078A) (NB: CK 39-128B also carried S15904 but is a darker green)

Set 525 formed BSK S34641 (39-078D) + CK S15567 (39-128C) + BSK 34642 (39-078E)

Set 525 was augmented in 1962 with SOs S3824 (39-053D) and S3825 (39-053E) and CK S15915 (not produced by Bachmann).

As far as I am aware, none of the other BR(S) green MK1s produced by Bachmann go towards making up correctly numbered coach sets. The problem with Bachmann is that not all have been announced and/in the catalogue as the same time and you don't know what coach numbers you'll be getting in advance so can plan/purchase accordingly.

Hornby did well by producing all four coaches of set 869 at the same time (except for the coach roundels that shouldn't be there) - and choosing a set that was later reduced to 3 cars with the removal of the SK.

It really isn't difficult to renumber coaches yourself.  The Bachmann numbers scrape off easily, and there's plenty of transfer suppliers that do the correct size digits.  Use a piece of masking tape as a guide to line your numbers up and start with the middle digit.  If you mess up the odd digit, just remove it and replace with another one.

• RMweb Premium

I see that Bachmann's new catalogue has a photo of their new Scenecraft brick station building ref 44-0023 and of their new brick station waiting room building ref 44-0024 (no photos yet on their website). These fit together, and form rather an attractive station building.

Presumably it is a model of a real station - does anyone know where? And which railway company?

John

Archived