Bachmann Branchline announcements for 2015/6

Andy Y

Bachmann have yet to offer us any 0-4-4T locos but looking at how they produced several 4-4-0s and 0-6-0s in succession, I suspect we'll see a few 0-4-4s relatively soon after their first.

For what it's worth, the 2014 poll lists the SECR H class, NER G5, MR Johnson, CR McItosh and Stanier (Ernest Lemon) 2P in order of popularity and, of course, all the other manufacturers will be aware of this. One might make a valid case for any or all of them. The first four may have the bonus of making prettier showcase models but the 1C "Lemon tanks" worked my local branch. 

RP 

You have to know the full terms of the pre order contract, which normally does give the retailer the option of altering the price after contacting the proposed purchaser to seek their agreement to continue with the sale at a revised price.

I think (but I'm not sure) that they have to do this in order to comply with the regulations on financial agreements.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Whilst I understand and accept that there will be price rises year on year, what I object to is a manufacturer announcing a new model and quoting a price, which then rises each year until the model actually becomes available. So in fact the model is never actually available at the initially advertised price. Either a price should be set, taking into account how long it will be before the model is available, that can be honoured irrespective of how long it takes the model to appear, or there should be no price quoted until this is possible.

Whilst I understand and accept that there will be price rises year on year, what I object to is a manufacturer announcing a new model and quoting a price, which then rises each year until the model actually becomes available. So in fact the model is never actually available at the initially advertised price. Either a price should be set, taking into account how long it will be before the model is available, that can be honoured irrespective of how long it takes the model to appear, or there should be no price quoted until this is possible.

Realistically, they should put price t.b.a.

They do, just look at the Bachmann web site.  Most locos that are not available now or soon are marked as TBA.  There are some with prices that are marked sept/oct, presumably because they've had their price rise for this year and Bachmann are confident the loco will be available then.

• RMweb Gold

Something that is likely to become more frequent with RTR plastic I think, even at three years or so.

I've already cancelled some pre-orders, one (a Hornby 'Okehampton') because I got tired of waiting and covered my requirements by obtaining a second-hand loco and the other (a set of Bachmann ex-SECR 'Birdcage' coaches) because rising prices have led me to focus purchasing decisions more tightly around my primary interests.

With manufacturers producing more relatively obscure locos that will, for many, be "impulse buys", it might pay them not to allow us too much thinking time between announcement and release.

John  

• RMweb Gold

So,then,it would seem the next move must be incarceration in The Tower ? Is it perhaps time to seek peace talks under U.N.auspices to draw the Second Great Bachmann Price War to a close ? BBC News Report indicates A.J. Blair unexpectedly available for mediation .

And if you look on Bachmann's website for many of their new announcements (and some older ones like the SECR Birdcage coaches) you will see that they have done just that.

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed Combe  Martin's post, mine is essentially a duplicate.

• RMweb Premium

And ? Most locomotives where black.

Are you talking about proper locomotives on a proper railway? If so they were (nearly) always green!

However the LMS, LNER and SR seemed for some reason to like black for many of theirs. :jester:

Keith

I would not be too sure about that.

They have found a way out of that by withdrawing the model before it has been produced and then reintroducing it later.

As it has been withdrawn there is no RRP and thus no obligation on Hattons or any other dealer to honour any promise.

Check the history of the Stanier Mogul if you need convincing.

Bernard

Hornby A3 Book Law withdrawn citing lack of pre orders , now "arriving" at £154 no idea of the old price but at a guess about £120 or less. Must have been a sudden rush of pre orders by somebody  :O  :O  :bye:

According to a late friend of mine who was into old cars, for most of the time the Model T was in production, black was an extra-cost option.

John :jester:

I thought Henry Ford was quoted as saying 'you can have any colour as long as it's black'.

Bachmann have yet to offer us any 0-4-4T locos but looking at how they produced several 4-4-0s and 0-6-0s in succession, I suspect we'll see a few 0-4-4s relatively soon after their first.

For what it's worth, the 2014 poll lists the SECR H class, NER G5, MR Johnson, CR McItosh and Stanier (Ernest Lemon) 2P in order of popularity and, of course, all the other manufacturers will be aware of this. One might make a valid case for any or all of them. The first four may have the bonus of making prettier showcase models but the 1C "Lemon tanks" worked my local branch. 

RP

Prefer the Johnson aesthetically but would settle for a Lemon. 0-4-4s are an obvious direction to go, Hornby seem to have done OK with the M7. If I'm really honest, I get excited about any LMS or constituent locos being produced in 00. Even an 0-6-0 diesel would spark interest.....

Are you talking about proper locomotives on a proper railway? If so they were (nearly) always green!

However the LMS, LNER and SR seemed for some reason to like black for many of theirs. :jester:

Keith

Hmm, a proper railway started with green and then progressed to a more modern and stylish red. A Weatherburn finish on a 4mm scale model would be a sight to behold.

On the whole Model T Ford thing: In the first year they were painted grey, red and green. According to Mr J. "Hungry" Clarkson on a episode of QI, ones built in Manchester they came out blue...

Black was introduced in 1914 as a cost cutting exercise.

• RMweb Premium

Just found these on Hattons website - available to pre-order - highlighting the variances in pre-order pricing.

Both are the later modified locos with the air cooler box.

Freightliner 70015 for £152.95

or

Colas 70805 for £98 (However, this one is an estimated price with the option to cancel if the price rises.....)

Cheers,

Mick

Archived