Garden Sheds

If you are going for a shed, then a good quality one will get away from the flimsiness of some.

Heres mine.

50mm framing, 12mm boarding with 3/4" floor & roof boards, the chalet style of roof makes it so you can walk on the roof.

post-5273-0-77611200-1425569671_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Just a few thoughts to add

About 10 years ago I had a shed (6x10) purchased and erected by Viking sheds from Stafford.

They offered various sizes and even custom made sheds to suit your requirements.

Two or three club members have gone down the same route of a shed from Viking one is so large we call it the 02

If security is a problem they will build one without a window. (I actually replaced my window with a secondhand double glazed unit not only more secure but cut all the draughts out)

As my shed was next to the house I added it to the house alarm system so it's very secure (suggest you ask your friendly alarm engineer to add it to your alarm system at its next annual check) saves a separate call out cost me a tenner!

Since found that shed not big enough so I converted the garage into a model room (we now however a very secure garden shed)

Terry

A word of warning about old shipping containers is that they can have a habit of leaking. At the Sea Cadet unit where I was staff, the three we had for storing boats used to spring a new leak every year. We went up on top and fixed the leak, but each year the leak would come back in a different place. Condensation was also rife, and anything steel kept inside rusted in no time.

• 1 year later...

Hello, everybody

I am on the point of investing in a new portable building to put my new layout in. What I have in mind is something like a Portakabin, perhaps one of their portable offices, but it must be secure, insulated, and be connected to mains electricity. It will not be connected to water or sewage, because that will cost too much for something temporary.

According to our local town-planning people, the largest shed one can have without requiring planning permission is 30 square metres, and building regulations don't apply to a "permanent" shed of that size as long as the height is not more than 2.5 metres. (The garden is certainly big enough that a shed this size would not exceed the maximum percentage of the garden size that is allowed.) Do the planning and building regulations apply to temporary buildings, and what is the definition of temporary in this case.

I was thinking of getting something 30 ft x 10 ft, which is just a bit smaller than the maximum permanent size allowed, but something a bit bigger would be preferred.

May I ask how your shed worked out? I'm interested because 30x 10 is exactly the size I have in mind.

My wife and I are about to something unusual for people our age (63) we are going to upsize -  simply so that I can get a bigger shed for my first permanent layout - I live in Watford , so I wondered if anyone has experience of building a shed that big in a residentual area like Watford. I say build but I am planning to get professionals in.

• RMweb Gold

It worked out fine. The firm that supplied it also built it, and I got an electrician to connect it to the mains. I painted it white inside, and standard wood-preservative green outside with the doors and window-frames "green chilli", which is the same bright green we use on the doors and windows of the house.

I've got a OO layout inside the shed, and there is plenty of space for the N gauge layout I've been trying to build in the house.

I may post some pictures in due course.

It worked out fine. The firm that supplied it also built it, and I got an electrician to connect it to the mains. I painted it white inside, and standard wood-preservative green outside with the doors and window-frames "green chilli", which is the same bright green we use on the doors and windows of the house.

I've got a OO layout inside the shed, and there is plenty of space for the N gauge layout I've been trying to build in the house.

I may post some pictures in due course.

Many thanks for that . I guess my question centres around any planning issues ... was there paperwork to fill in?  Hoops to jump through?

May I ask how your shed worked out? I'm interested because 30x 10 is exactly the size I have in mind.

My wife and I are about to something unusual for people our age (63) we are going to upsize -  simply so that I can get a bigger shed for my first permanent layout - I live in Watford , so I wondered if anyone has experience of building a shed that big in a residentual area like Watford. I say build but I am planning to get professionals in.

We moved from the Watford area to downsize, just about to start an extension which will make the new house larger !! I was going to be banished into a garden shed though.

A word of warning, I built a modelling room 8 x 8 in the garage of our old house. It was all fully insulated etc, but owing to the fact of an impending move I decided not to fit a radiator from the central heating boiler (which was in the room) preferring to limit the heat from a thermostatically controlled electric heater whilst using the room, the cost in the first winter was OK ish, but the second winter as I chose  to keep a bit warmer was very high. The plus side was it did add not only a small financial benefit but added to the desirability when selling

After receiving quotes for a purpose built shed and the insulating/ electrical installation costs, we quickly came to the conclusion as we planned to extend the property anyway, it was as cheap to add it to the new extension. As it happens the railway room has decreased in size slightly, but the improvement to the kitchen diner is enormous. As for heating costs and installation of the electrical system, the former will be negligible the latter far cheaper. The added bonus is it will add to the value of the house

Now building an extension may not be an option, but do look at the costs of keeping it warm and secure

One area of shed security that often gets overlooked is.......the roof.

How many blow off because of hardly any screws etc holding it down.

I attended several shed breaks where tools etc were stolen where the scumbags had got in by pulling a section off of the roof.

Easy peasy...... unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

I know of a chap whose shed is the former demountable body from a former BT engineers van. It is constructed of aluminium covered plywood with a translucent fibreglass roof obviating the need for windows. It came with built in lockers, shelves and worktop and ready fitted with secure locks. It's about 6' X 10' and about 6' 6" headroom. You may remember these mounted on Sherpa or Transit chassis up to about 15 to 20 years ago.

Before I bought my shed, I considered a Portacabin. Ones in fairly good condition can be had for £1500 - £2500. Fully insulated and often with wiring installed, you just need to connect up. Of course, most likely you would need in craned into a garden and my location is 50ft from any suitable roadway and with telephone wires across it, so this was  discounted. In the unlikely event of me moving, it is something I would look at again.

• RMweb Gold

I considered a Portacabin.

These do look like a good option at first glance, but having worked on a few I'd say they weren't suitable at all. They can be a bit flimsy if they've been moved a few times and when they start to rot they go so fast it's unbelievable.

• RMweb Gold

One area of shed security that often gets overlooked is.......the roof.

Indeed, I think I mentioned this in another shed thread. My own "shed" (a 12x8 heavy duty framed workshop) was attacked in this manner. I only noticed when clearing leaves from the back and saw a nail sticking up through the felt. It took a while to realise what had gone on until I spotted other nails raise, but not breaking through the felt. Luckily with it being a h/d tongue and groove roof (not flimsy OSB) screwed at certain points they didn't manage to get in. However I did then fit some steel L brackets at every corner to strengthen things further.

Regarding windows, if you can get away without them, then do without. Mine are all boarded over from the inside now with 9mm ply after scrotes kicked one out and broke in. It might as well have not even been there, the ease with which they got in. Luckily the alarm was set and scared them off with only a couple of items in hand which they dumped the other side of the garden fence (probably trying to work out what the hell they were).

Just going through this thread. A garden shed in planning legislation is not a "temporary building" and may need planning permission from the local council. The vast majority do not - see https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

One additional thing to check is whether any rights to build such a structure were removed when the original planning permission for the house was granted - in such circumstance a structure which otherwise complies with the guidance given on the above link will still need planning permission from the local council but no fee will be payable. Also deeds can have some pretty weird limitations in them preventing specific parts of land associated with a house from being built on.

A shed only needs planning permission if it doesn't meet the following rules

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

It doesn't need to be temporary to meet these rules. I designed a shed to fit in the rules to replace the pre existing shed. Unfortunately the planners managed to prove that the previous shed was a mushroom house in the 1950s so I had to apply for planning permission for change of use from industrial. I was somewhat miffed to find out that they renamed my planning application "Replacement of Dosmetic Outbuilding" but thats the planners for you.

Here's mine before I fitted a stove.

The walls are 56mm thick. There's 100mm of insulation under the concrete and 50mm Kingspan under the roof. It came as a kit from Keops Interlock

post-14712-0-46810200-1485037222_thumb.jpg

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

It doesn't need to be temporary to meet these rules. I designed a shed to fit in the rules to replace the pre existing shed. Unfortunately the planners managed to prove that the previous shed was a mushroom house in the 1950s so I had to apply for planning permission for change of use from industrial. I was somewhat miffed to find out that they renamed my planning application "Replacement of Dosmetic Outbuilding" but thats the planners for you.

They should not have altered the description without first checking it with you. Seems that your dwelling had with it other land with it which did not have domestic use on which the mushroom house was located. Its not unusual for dwellings to be sold with land which is not "domestic curtilage" to quote a planning phrase and the guidance in the link only relates to buildings sited on "domestic curtilage". If the part that is not "domestic curtilage" has been continually used as such for more than 10 years and this can be proven (that's were it gets tricky) then a Certificate of Lawfulness can be applied for which is a straight is it legal or not decision, rather than the matters of balancing out issues which a planning application involves.

There is a very informative visual section on the planning portal (vastly improved since I last looked at it)  https://interactive.planningportal.co.uk/mini-guide/outbuildings/8 which for those of us not versed with building regs/terms I found very helpful and in part convinced me to steer away from sheds.

Whilst 2.5 meters is a bit better than 2.5 yards, if the shed is within 2 meters of the boundary then height may become an issue, especially when the flooring is either elevated and or under floor insulation is used. Unless you cam move the shed 2 meters away from the boundary this may cause a problem

• RMweb Premium

One additional thing to check is whether any rights to build such a structure were removed when the original planning permission for the house was granted - in such circumstance a structure which otherwise complies with the guidance given on the above link will still need planning permission from the local council but no fee will be payable. Also deeds can have some pretty weird limitations in them preventing specific parts of land associated with a house from being built on.

The construction of my "Man Shed" was going to run into Several £1000's so I was concerned about Planning / Building Control. I remembered our Solicitor mentioning "Permitted Development Rights" were removed as part of the original Planning Permission for our Bungalow which is just a "run of the mill" Bungalow located in a built up area.  What this means is as Butler Henderson as described, we had to apply for Planning Permission (FOC) for things that some people take for granted. However I applied and received the appropriate Planning Permission.

• RMweb Gold

Here's mine before I fitted a stove.

The walls are 56mm thick. There's 100mm of insulation under the concrete and 50mm Kingspan under the roof. It came as a kit from Keops Interlock

Now that is what I call a shed!  :sungum:

There is a very informative visual section on the planning portal (vastly improved since I last looked at it)  https://interactive.planningportal.co.uk/mini-guide/outbuildings/8 which for those of us not versed with building regs/terms I found very helpful and in part convinced me to steer away from sheds.

Whilst 2.5 meters is a bit better than 2.5 yards, if the shed is within 2 meters of the boundary then height may become an issue, especially when the flooring is either elevated and or under floor insulation is used. Unless you cam move the shed 2 meters away from the boundary this may cause a problem

The Planning Portal is something of a nightmare and has lots of issues. The information it gives is not always comprehensive and in some situations is not correct. In my view, without a lot more development taking place, the PP cannot possibly hope to cover all the variations of problems that can pre-exist with covenants and rules about "Permitted Development Rights" and related things.

When I had a problem recently the "analysts" (as the help-desk wallahs at the PP love to call themselves) could not solve it so I had to resort to a paper application direct with my local authority. This was dealt with quickly and efficiently and within the appropriate time span. The planning officer I worked with apologised about the issues with the Planning Portal and said that they see problems with it almost every day, particularly with payments which often fail due to the mechanism that passes you to the local authority not working properly.

The Planning Portal is something of a nightmare and has lots of issues. The information it gives is not always comprehensive and in some situations is not correct. In my view, without a lot more development taking place, the PP cannot possibly hope to cover all the variations of problems that can pre-exist with covenants and rules about "Permitted Development Rights" and related things.

When I had a problem recently the "analysts" (as the help-desk wallahs at the PP love to call themselves) could not solve it so I had to resort to a paper application direct with my local authority. This was dealt with quickly and efficiently and within the appropriate time span. The planning officer I worked with apologised about the issues with the Planning Portal and said that they see problems with it almost every day, particularly with payments which often fail due to the mechanism that passes you to the local authority not working properly.

Is that in relationship to sheds or other things like extensions ?. I would most who buy standardised sheds the likes of DIY outlets etc never even bother checking what they can and cannot do

Is that in relationship to sheds or other things like extensions ?. I would most who buy standardised sheds the likes of DIY outlets etc never even bother checking what they can and cannot do

It was to do with a non-shed matter. As you say, most people who buy standardised sheds (and quite a few around here who have "other" types of structure) don't bother with asking about planning permission and I suspect that many do not even think about it. There have been quite a few bits and pieces built around here recently that should have had planning permission, but definitely did not and unless someone complains, the local authority planning people don't seem to be be bothered.

If it in doubt the actual "permitted development rights" current across England and Wales at the moment are set out in this document http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/596/pdfs/uksi_20150596_en.pdf (the bit covering garden sheds is on pages 21-22)

as amended by this one http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/332/pdfs/uksi_20160332_en.pdf (in which only paragraph 4 relates to houses and then not in respect of garden sheds). Scotland has its own separate legislation.

What most people do not realise is that the Planning Act basically says all development needs permission but then allows the Secretary of State to grant planning permission himself for specific developments without them requiring the approval of the local council. That approval by the Secretary of State is what the "permitted development rights" are.

There have been quite a few bits and pieces built around here recently that should have had planning permission, but definitely did not and unless someone complains, the local authority planning people don't seem to be be bothered.

If no one complains how would they know?

• RMweb Premium

I had a "shed" from Keops put in at work, and a very impressive unit it is too! 

Archived