SCRATCHBUILDING AN EX LSWR G6

There were of course variations of build within both the G6 and O2 classes such as boilers, safety valves, buffer beams and cabs however there was definitely at least one of those variations in each class that were very similar, as has been utilised by Gibson although some slight differences did still exist, especially around the cab side cut out shape.

I am sure these slight differences would soon be picked up on these days if a manufacture of one version was to use the same body from one class for another, believe me it has been considered, but I can imagine the posts such a move would get on forums if it happened!

Hi Graham

I totally agree there. It would be much the same if a new company came out with a range like Wills that used the jinty chassis under every thing. Very handy 40 years or more ago but not cutting the mustard now.

Hopefully my build will be more right than wrong.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Graham

I totally agree there. It would be much the same if a new company came out with a range like Wills that used the jinty chassis under every thing. Very handy 40 years or more ago but not cutting the mustard now.

Hopefully my build will be more right than wrong.

So you're not going to use a Jinty chassis then Pete? Very disappointed.

The Wheels are here in Brazil but could still be a month ore more before I get them. Post office not so hot on delivery's here.

I may sling on an over size set I have to see if it all works.  I am just as interested as many others are.

I want to build the brake shoes and and boxes before I move onto the body.

• RMweb Premium

And folk moan about next day deliveries being occasionally late here In the UK. Can't say I've ever waited a month for a parcel. The Heljan AC Railbus arrived less than 24hrs after getting a notification from Hattons and it sounds like they turned them round pretty sharpish on their arrival at the shop. Different world Pete.

And folk moan about next day deliveries being occasionally late here on the UK. Can't say I've ever waited a month for a parcel. The Heljan AC Railbus arrived less than 24hrs after getting a notification from Hattons and it sounds like they turned them round pretty sharpish on their arrival at the shop. Different world Pete.

very much so.

My metal from Metalsmiths. 2 packets sent the same day one arrives in Brazil a week later than the other and arrives with me a fortnight before the first  gets to me.

That's why I pester the suppliers for tracking numbers. I like to start threatening Correios as soon as the get it. Makes me feel good even if it does not speed up delivery.

I do miss the royal mail for all the things I said about them.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually had some time on this, which was very pleasant. Not much to show but it is on the move. I have assembled the Roxey gearbox for this but I will probably change the gears to 20-1 from the 40-1 that are in the set. The canon motor works well at that ratio with small wheels.

I have been working on the ash pan. I have it fitted to the compensation side beams. Yes I hear you all say it will stop them working. Yes but once everything is correct I will run the saw down the middle so it will be in two halves and move in sinc with the beams.

post-13601-0-88259400-1432672458_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-70948400-1432672478_thumb.jpg

Next up I cut out some bits ready for making the reversing shaft weights etc, and the brake pulls and beam. These I hope will be photo'ed next session when completed.

I did though get the rear sand boxes made and fitted I just need to make the lids and fit them.

post-13601-0-56531200-1432672497_thumb.jpg

I am now wanting to get back to the bench. I have so many ideas going around in my head that I want to try in this build.

Till the next time.

The postman came today, he brought me two packets one with bits for the Ivatt which were posted early March.Also to arrive were the wheels for the G6 posted early last month. I really do not know how you can get such different deliveries when both were posted in the UK with the same service.

Well it now looks like i can try it out now as a rolling chassis. It will be interesting whether I will be able to carry on or start again.

post-13601-0-63860900-1432682249_thumb.jpg

I ought to send my order off to Laurie for the castings. i may get them sent to my daughters as we are coming over in September. Going by the speed of delivery here I will only have an extra months wait.

Two months to get to Brazil?!???

Parcels arrive here after a few days. It is then that their progress stops. 4 months is the longest but that was due to me owing duty on it. You get 7 days to pay. The parcel arrive on a Monday I did not get the note to collect until the Friday. When I got to the office on the Monday it was already on its way back. Managed to stop it before it left the country but I think they sent it back to me the slowest way they could.

Have been playing with this today. I have got the wheels on and all freewheeled very well. I have split the ash pan after moving it slightly as it was too low. I even took it apart and fitted the motion to see if it would still freewheel. I need to take it apart again as there is a sticky spot but I cannot see where it is. I am hoping when I take it apart I will be able to see where it is catching.

But all in all I think it will work well. There are no photos today as I worked right up to the time I need to get SWMBO from work.

The only down side today was I dropped one of the weigh shaft bearings I made, and it went under the bench drawer unit. I could not slide it out so it is there until the bench is moved.

Although it was a short day as the weekly shop is done in the morning, I had some success with this, the 2MT and the 0395.

Busy busy busy

Had a bit of a play today. I thought bolting on the motor only involved 2 screws. But best part of the time at the bench today and we end up with the first powered run of the loco.

I am not too sure how long the motor will last, but it was a bit temperamental and needed the brushes sorting before it would do any work. I am now in trouble as I have no motors left in stock and need a few of Roxey's gear sets too.

I am pleased with the way it runs even though things are a little tight. I have run it for about 20 minutes and things seem better but I will strip it down and see if anything can be eased, One of the big ends is also a little tight I can see where it is rubbing.

Looking at the driving wheels I am hoping most the wobble on the wheels id to do with it not being seated properly, It was an old axle that I used for the cranks. Or where it is dangling in the air, but I do not see to much movement in the beams.

Well it feels like a great milestone has been passed, the construction should get easier from now on. Famous last words come to mind.

Thats it for now hopefully more later on.

Very good Peter, I had a few tight spots on the Nelsons which after a few days on the rolling road and a touch of oil sorted it out.

Simon

Thanks Simon

I was please it went round at all. It is quite a different think having it all together. Rather than twiddling bits around in your fingers.

Looking good Peter. It is very pleasing when all works well.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks Ray

I was surprised it went first time with just a little motivation. It did not like going in reverse as the link lifted and jammed. Not a problem as I was going to set it in forward gear with the reversing arm etc.

Just a couple of pictures from before the first powered run. They show the wheels and motion in place. There is very little room between the cranks and the front of the ash pan. The rear needed a bit of alteration to get the gears in. Although it was a bit tight running with the motion in place. But for some reason it is probably best free runner chassis I have made with out doing a tweaks. Now what did I do so I can do the same next time out. You can also see where I cut the ash pan down the centre. This has since been tidied up, and made a little wider.

post-13601-0-24620300-1432950119_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-91159000-1432950137_thumb.jpg

I am still making some parts for the frames it seems each time I look at the drawing I see something else.

I have done a little more to this. I do wish I had given things a little more thought earlier in the build. I need the Weigh shaft removable. What should of been done is the sides of the box that houses the slide bars etc, extended rearwards and then the it could of been carried on this so it all could be assembled off the loco and added as a unit. Hopefully I can sort something out without having to go backwards.  The photo shows the two bearings in place with the shaft in place but removable. Which is easy without any arms on it.

post-13601-0-45298100-1433019596_thumb.jpg

The brake cross shaft was next which can be fixed without causing any problems. I made the two bearings and these were fitted the arms and shaft soldered to these. One must always remember that if you solder it together looking to the bottom of the frames and the plan show it from above, you need to reverse the parts saves a lot of cussing and be soldering. I now just have to add the link to the handbrake.

post-13601-0-21904800-1433019614_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-23878600-1433019578_thumb.jpg

I opened up the slot in the ash pan as mentioned in the previous post. It is now all much smother in operation, I just need to add the operating rod down the left side.

post-13601-0-62366200-1433019633_thumb.jpg

Although there is quite a bit still to do I at least I can see the end of building the frames. Another session or two and we will be done. 

In amongst priming and sanding the V3 I did a couple of bits on this. It is all little fiddly bits at the moment nothing really to get your teeth into,

I finished off the weigh shaft which twists in and out of its bearings. I will possible drill and tap 14BA it to one of the bearings and lock the screw in place with varnish so it can easily be removed. The reversing arms are held to the lift links with 14BA. It is all set so it will be in forward gear.

post-13601-0-11118500-1433292801_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-17900900-1433292819_thumb.jpg

I also added the hand brake linkage to the brake cross beam. While it was upside down I fitted the sand pipes to the rear sand boxes.

post-13601-0-33403800-1433292836_thumb.jpg

I then made the sand box fillers mainly because it was one of those jobs I did not fancy doing. So before it got left I felt I should get it out of the way.

post-13601-0-28454600-1433292854_thumb.jpg

I have more painting to do tomorrow but am hoping I can still do a little more.

Archived