SCRATCHBUILDING AN EX LSWR G6

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete, I have been catching up on your G6. What a beauty she is turning out to be. Something very well-balanced about both the prototype and your model. Hope you had a good holiday. Now that you are well rested and have got some wellies, the last bit of the project should be a doddle...

Hi Pete, I have been catching up on your G6. What a beauty she is turning out to be. Something very well-balanced about both the prototype and your model. Hope you had a good holiday. Now that you are well rested and have got some wellies, the last bit of the project should be a doddle...

Thank Mikkel

I must admit we are still only have way through our holiday. Next week we are off to eastern europe for a while. It will unfortunately be November beforeI get back to the bench.

• 1 month later...

It was great to get back to the bench after two and a half months away.

I have made a start on fitting the casting I got at Guildex. I want get all the brass parts done before the white metal chimney and dome go on. There is still loads to do, but the list is getting shorter. My biggest problem is the cab specticals I still do not know what I need to do to make them. Should of paid up and got some of Laurie's

So this is what I did today.

First off was to cleaned up and prepare the casting for solder in copper wire where needed.  Just a few bits in this process.

post-13601-0-13797600-1447197226_thumb.jpg

I assembled the injectors, which I forgot go on the frames rather than the body. I will go back to that in a day or two.

post-13601-0-62648000-1447197245_thumb.jpg

The clack valvesare some of thenicestI have seen, The looked even better when fitted.

post-13601-0-69045200-1447197263_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-99456800-1447197285_thumb.jpg

Te next bits were the sand box lids and linkage. The smoke box door is on but needs it's details adding. I forgot to take the book with the best detail photo, hense why it is missing today.

post-13601-0-42390100-1447197305_thumb.jpg

The whistles and safety valve cover is fitted but the safety valves do come out for painting. I may have to remove one of the whistles and I still need to add a couple of pipes to the whistle header.

post-13601-0-85201000-1447197324_thumb.jpg

I aslo did some work in the cab but thatis another post as it is not finished. the next major job is probably the handrails and the piano lid cover for the cylinders.

Todays effort was spent on cab detail. The backhead is almost done on this it is very simple. I also need to  add the gauges and some hand wheels to the cab front sheet.

The reverser and the and hand brake needed a bit of adjustment to fit, but some of that is due to having over sized spasher/side tanks. This also effects how the backhead fits. I am sure it will not notice to much when the it is all finished.

post-13601-0-91162700-1447280067_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-80481700-1447280112_thumb.jpg

As you can see there is not much on the backhead. I think there is just the blower vailve to add.

post-13601-0-04843700-1447280164_thumb.jpg

As you can see it all fits together fine, just the wide side tanks that mess it up a little. Next time I may put a low level step, rather than an enlarged box.

post-13601-0-93787000-1447280185_thumb.jpg

I also made a slow start on the hand rails. I need more practice, I am having to think hard for each poperation at the moment, must be rusty.

Just a little done today,most of my bench time was planing the Dukedogs mods for compensation.

I did do the handrails today. I have a disliking handrails with two front knobs. They are not quite so easy as ones with one. I did discover that the hand rail stopped the backhead in and out. So one side was modified to be removable. 

post-13601-0-66868100-1447368903_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-09918900-1447368929_thumb.jpg

I was thinking once the handrails and front end was done, I was done. I was looking at the photos earlier, only to realise that I have done the lamp irons or vac pipes. Must redo my check list.

I managed to make and fit the parts for the front end. The hinges took their time as it always takes me forever to do the loop on the end, I seem to do them a different way everytime. I think though I may well have a technique now. It does not make it any less fiddly to do. I was undecided what to or how to do the knob for the piano lid, but while looking for something else in my cupboard I dropped my box of lace pins on the floor, then it struck me how suitable one would be whilst I was picking them up from all over the floor.

post-13601-0-46568000-1447454587_thumb.jpg

I was going to cheat and use the the one from the 0395, only to find they are a different shape. I suppose that is what comes of trying to be lazy. I am very pleased with the way it has come out. I made a start on cleaning up the lamp irons. I found a set of Laurie's castings for these. I will get more next order from him. These will be fitted next session. The way things are going I should be able to get this into the paint shop later next week. I am actually looking forward to painting this, one because I want to see it finished, two I have not done a black lined SR loco for quite some time. Three I want to try my new pens out.

post-13601-0-17619000-1447454607_thumb.jpg

The "face" of the G6 (and the rest of it to be honest!) looks perfectly captured. Stunning work :O

Jon F.

Thanks Jon

I am struggling to believe that it is getting close to painting. It seems to have been a quick build, I know it has been going on some months but it has not been onmy bench all the time/

Beautiful, Pete. I didn't know it was called a "piano lid", thanks for that.

Thanks Mikkel

Whether or not it is the correct term I do not know. But they do look like the old upright key lids. I expect they also bit your fingers just as well too, shutting them in a hurry

Firstly our thoughts are with the French and especially the Parisiennes, in this time of sorrow. A city that is very special to my wife and I.

I realise I had not shown the cab in it's finished (well I hope) state.

It was fun getting the backhead in once I had added the gauges and handwheels. I am pleased with the the cab it came together very well, using decent castings helps a lot too.

post-13601-0-64652800-1447541948_thumb.jpg

Not sure how much will be seen once the crew has been fitted and it is moving along the line. Bu@@er why did I say thatI now need to dig out a suitable driver and fireman.

post-13601-0-67461900-1447541967_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-72367300-1447541986_thumb.jpg

Is this actually a challenge that Crossy boy is going to actually finish on time.

Hello Peter, Looking at the great job you are doing on the G6 is making me think l would love to return to O gauge, keep up the good work...

It is good to hear from you George.

Thanks, I know space is a problem for 0 gauge but I am sure I would still be building stock in it, even without a chance of running anything. For me, I do not think I could go back to 4mm, I keep looking towards gauge one and thinking maybe I should have a go!

It is good to hear from you George.

Thanks, I know space is a problem for 0 gauge but I am sure I would still be building stock in it, even without a chance of running anything. For me, I do not think I could go back to 4mm, I keep looking towards gauge one and thinking maybe I should have a go!

Who knows l might return when l retire ? in the meantime l will be watching what you create, take care, happy modelling...

I have been looking at the pictures of the loco, the more I look the more I dislike the side tanks in the cab.

post-13601-0-47509300-1447596978_thumb.jpg

So I have decided that on Monday I am going to have to cut them down and make a step to cover the rear wheels. I know it is goingto be a pain but I know I will nver be happy with what is there.

What was the arrangement on the real thing?

As far as I can make out the GA the tanks continue the same height through to about 6 inches from the door opening. I made them wider to cover the narrow gauge. I think I should of made a low platform to cover the wheels, then put the correct width tank on top. I think then it will look better, the low level steps will hardly show.

Well in amoungst running to and the house and doing the laundry. I did manage to redo the cab tanks along with a few other bits. I am so pleased I did. It looks so much better now. It is a case of live and learn, I know now to think a little more, before blithely going on.

Well here it is, what do you think.

post-13601-0-44304600-1447717066_thumb.jpg

It is looking very promising to get finished in the next day or so. The only troublesome parts are the cab specticles. A problem that I was playing with today. Would be so simple with my lathe.

I supprised myself the specticles worked out well and did not take to long. Would of been even quicker with a lathe rather than a drill. I have put a rebate on the inside for the glazing. Now they are fitted I will open them out just a little, they look a little fat at the moment.

post-13601-0-00656500-1447801552_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-30157600-1447801571_thumb.jpg

Now this is done it looks like I should be able to complete the build tomorrow. then that will give me a nice length of time to get it cleaned, painted and lined. There is quite a few assemblies that need to done.

It looks like I am ready for the big clean up. I think I have all the castings on now. The lamp irons are on and which were the last of the brass ones. I then added the dome and chimney which were ones I had in stock. The chimney needs a little filling but thats easy to do. I still need to open up the spectecles which will be done before cleaning.

All in all I am very happy with the way it has turned out so far. Just hoping my painting is up to scratch. I see I have a bent cab handrail, must sort that before the paint goes on.

post-13601-0-97064700-1447897074_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-11342700-1447897093_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-40432000-1447897111_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-12820800-1447897130_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-53460400-1447897772_thumb.jpg

I also remembered to fit the injectors to the frames. I will check that the wheels miss everthing tomorrow, I just ran out of time to put it all back together, it takes a little while. I will the post a piccy to show how it is in one lump.

post-13601-0-80861000-1447897055_thumb.jpg

Archived