SCRATCHBUILDING AN EX LSWR G6

There Is some more so I hope you will not get bored with my ramblings.

Nope! Keep them coming. Things like this form a valuable reference once they are on here. That was some very confident sawing with the piercing saw on your video..I was waiting for the "ping" and an expletive!

JF

Nope! Keep them coming. Things like this form a valuable reference once they are on here. That was some very confident sawing with the piercing saw on your video..I was waiting for the "ping" and an expletive!

JF

What you did not see was this mornings effort 5 busted blades and a slice into the finger. A how not to do it video. Maybe it was the talking to myself that made it better. Not sure what the neighbours would say seeing me chatting to myself every day.

Following on from the previous episode.

here are the parts after cutting out but prior to filing. Followed but the parts having been separated and still needing the solder cleaning up.From left to right,floor spacers, bunker tool boxes and lids, locker and the cab floor.

post-13601-0-09196500-1434666368_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-75375100-1434666390_thumb.jpg

I now need to to fold up the locker and tool boxes. I find to get a nice sharp corner you need to do a little work. It is either this or soldering lots of bits together to make the boxes, Not nice when the components are small. Firstly I score the fold line a few times as if you were wanting to cut through. I do this as the shallow grove is a guide for the three square or square file. Working with one corner in the grove lightly at first, or you may not follow it, one there is a reasonable grove you can press harder. When you can see the tell tail line in the other side you have gone deep enough. It will now fold just like a half etched corner in a kit.

post-13601-0-72660600-1434666411_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-52297000-1434666464_thumb.jpg

Depending on the size of the components I will either use smooth jaw pliers, my vice which also has smooth jaws, or 250mm bending bars. I will do these fold in the vice apart the bottom of the locker which was done with the pliers. I set the part up with the fold just above the top of the jaws this allows a slight space for bending it to just over 90 degrees it will spring back a little. If you try folding with the jaws in line with the centre of the grove you will never get it to 90 degrees.

post-13601-0-61610700-1434666447_thumb.jpg

And the tool boxes with the lids soldered on.

post-13601-0-10670200-1434666483_thumb.jpg

Here the floor is in place but the locker etc are just tacked until I take the back out and add the details of hinges etc, please do not look at the soldering I had already unplugged and did not get away with it.

post-13601-0-47152100-1434666325_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-36431300-1434666348_thumb.jpg

I will post more in a while, I think we will have a look at a little bit of detailing what has been shown already. I have actually put the G6 into the cupboard to try and finish the Ivatt, it is hard as I was enjoying the build immensely.

post-13601-0-87927500-1434666429_thumb.jpg

Shame, we are all enjoying it as well. Keep up the good work.

It wont be in there for too long, as I only need to do a bit of detail work on the Ivatt. Once the Ivatt is ready for painting I will be working on it again hopefully some time next week.

Well managed to get back to this even though it was very late in the week. The working days have been short. The Ivatt is now all clean and sat in a box drying.

I decided after taking the rear spectacle plate out to detail. I sort of got sidetracked I think it is because I have not really worked out what I need to do.

I got on instead sorting the final bits of the chassis. The guard irons are the main thing missing then I think it may have a couple of pipes and the injectors to be fitted.

I managed to get the guards cut out but not fixed as yet. I need to add some bolt detail to the frames as the irons are on the inside face. I will probably mark up and drill the frames and add some wire.

post-13601-0-84352600-1435349520_thumb.jpg

I tried one just to see whether the curves follow on as they should. Looked OK to me.

post-13601-0-62072200-1435349539_thumb.jpg

Hopefully on Monday I can get some more done. But don't hold your breath As I have to paint the Ivatt, make a Banoffee pie for SWMBO to take to work on Tuesday. I need to look into the position of the injectors I think they are behind the steps, not between the frames as on the 0395.

Ooh never mind the G6, that scratch built banoffee pie sounds good!

JF

Banoffee in Brazil. Impressive.

The Family here like it and I seem to have to make one for most gatherings etc. At least one a month. I normally just get to eat the left over bananas.

Back to the job in hand the Bonoffee pie has been constructed and will be disassembled tomorrow.

Today I have only manged to fit the guard irons these  fitted without any problems.

post-13601-0-69291900-1435607861_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-46027100-1435607882_thumb.jpg

I do have to get some injectors, as the ones I  have although South Western are not suitable.  On most photos I have there is very little or nothing to be seen of them. I will get a pair from Laurie and see what I can do with them.

The other part I need to do on the frames are the springs Which need fixing to the inside of the frames, This is tricky because of the compensation side beams. That's tomorrow. So again might be just a small update.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter, just catching up. Thanks for the instructions and video above on the cab floor, very useful as I'm trying to get the hang of cutting metal these days.

And Banoffee pie too, surely the ultimate thread!

Hi Peter, just catching up. Thanks for the instructions and video above on the cab floor, very useful as I'm trying to get the hang of cutting metal these days.

And Banoffee pie too, surely the ultimate thread!

hi Mikkel

Pleased that my ramblings are of use. I have actually been surprised with the number of views and comments, far more than I expected.

I managed to detail the inside of the cab rear. The locker I used wire for the hinges and made up a latch to hold the doors shut. I guessed, that the too boxes has a wooden lid so I added a strip of brass to each to represent a leather hinges. I am not sure if these are correct but they are simple fool proof methods that I have seen used.

post-13601-0-58668900-1435794402_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-48417500-1435794381_thumb.jpg

I will now fit the cab tank sides and then the cab rear can be permanently soldered in. I think that I then need to start the tank and bunker beading.

Today after painting the Ivatt I had a little time so got on with cab tank sides and ends. Nice and simple to do but makes a world of difference. You will see I have  gap each side this is the problem caused by the narrow setting of the frames and them being inside the cab. I will see what I can do to solve it. I may live with it I will see as I progress.

post-13601-0-41563500-1435872878_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-58973700-1435872897_thumb.jpg

I also remembered to add the rear fixing point before it is impossible to get at.

post-13601-0-35391100-1435872917_thumb.jpg

Here we have the cab back resting in place. From quite a large space it seems to be getting more cramped.

post-13601-0-99597300-1435872935_thumb.jpg

Must sort that bl@@dy handle out.

Every little bit is progress. Ivatt is looking good to Pete. Bet you're looking forward to lining it!

Thanks Chris.

I am very pleased with the way the G6 is going. No rush as I need castings. I will send Laurie an email and get him to make sure he has them at Telford. As for the Ivatt I really dislike BR mixed traffic lining. You have to do everything three times. At least it good practice for my G6 and 0395. I should really do a couple of bits and just have them showing through the dirt. Save a lot of work.

Having detailed the cab back sheet. I decided to do as someone on here posted, and cut the glazing for the spectacles whilst in the flat. Great idea with I could remember who to thank.

Having done the glazing The front and rear spectacles were fixed in place. Having finally sorted out the coal hole handle.

post-13601-0-68763400-1436023898_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-50596200-1436023917_thumb.jpg

Having said earlier about the holes in the floor and not being sure what to do. Well, I think it will be left as is. Once the frames are in place it looks to be OK.

post-13601-0-81458400-1436023941_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-11751700-1436023963_thumb.jpg

Hopefully more soome does seem to be rather a lot of painting to do.

Having detailed the cab back sheet. I decided to do as someone on here posted, and cut the glazing for the spectacles whilst in the flat. Great idea with I could remember who to thank.

Having done the glazing The front and rear spectacles were fixed in place. Having finally sorted out the coal hole handle.

attachicon.gifa.jpg

attachicon.gifb.jpg

Having said earlier about the holes in the floor and not being sure what to do. Well, I think it will be left as is. Once the frames are in place it looks to be OK.

attachicon.gifc.jpg

attachicon.gifd.jpg

Hopefully more soome does seem to be rather a lot of painting to do.

Looking very neat. The G6 is a nicely proportioned loco too. For round cab spectacle glasses, I have some hollow punches which are designed for cutting round holes in leather. There's usually one the right size for what I need in the set!

JF

Looking very neat. The G6 is a nicely proportioned loco too. For round cab spectacle glasses, I have some hollow punches which are designed for cutting round holes in leather. There's usually one the right size for what I need in the set!

JF

Thanks Jon

It has always been one of my favourite tank locos  I will look out for some punches I have used have some but I think they went with a lot of my work tools, when I moved here.

• 3 weeks later...

After the saga with the V3 and 2mt, I am back to the G6. I found it very slow today, I do not seem to have much motivation and wander off onto different things. I did manage a little progress.

I have added the first tank beading and also added the vertical handrails to the same side. I am hoping that tomorrow I will leave future projects alone and concentrate on this little thing.

The beading is made from 0.25mm nickel silver and the handrails from 1mm brass wire.

I think the extra effort to taper them was worth the it, they look so much better than straight wire.

post-13601-0-18465900-1437673119_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-94035100-1437673137_thumb.jpg

post-13601-0-85945400-1437673157_thumb.jpg

Hopefully I can get back into this and get more done.

Archived