RMweb

The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

A retooled 'Arthur' perchance?

The cab looks very Urie style, so I think it could be a Urie version of the S15 which Hornby have not done yet. This should be relatively easy to tool up and have decorated samples for a catalogue cover.

The N15 is possible but the modifications are not many, it would require just just the rewiring in the loco itself so that it uses the 4 pin tender plug. The 8 wheel tender was already redone when the S15 came out. Visually it will not look any different to the previous N15s. Not sure that would qualify for a cover though as it is not really new.

Shape is wrong for an N15X and Nelson, the latter would probably sell for RRP of £180. I'm still really happy with my 2 Bachmann's I brought for £55 each two decades ago. The only decent looking southern RTR express engine at the time, but we have had a load of other Southern express locos since (thanks to Hornby) and I do not feel I am missing top end power on the layout anymore.

H15 is possible. Are there other pre-grouping 4-6-0s which could match the silhouette from other railways?

• RMweb Gold

I reckon it's most likely to be an H15, to fill the remaining gap in the King Arthur 'family'.

It was rumoured to be in Hornby's "to follow" programme when the S15 was announced.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1

If we look at the shillouette on the picture, we see that the cab is nearly the same hight as the boiler,

and tender sides look also high.

If we look at the H class they al been build with Urie cabs, also the later build batches, if we looking to old pictures of the Nelson class in the same position as the blurred picture one it looks very much the same.

There is a clear difference in cab hight on top of the fire box if we compare Nelson with H class Nelson one goes smoother over to the fire box, mine impression.

Overall the Nelson gives a HUGH impression, the H class less, if i compare. 

Maybe Hornby is meaning this with huge :scratchhead:

Bachmann don't have the Nelson class in their collection for a while, and nothing announced as retooling it.

If i was Hornby , i would not make a H class on the moment , because to little difference on the eye between N and S class.

If they would make a real hit the Nelson class is the answer, and they take the wind out of the sails from Bachmann with this one,if they release it before Bachmann is doing a retooling.

If Hornby put all their qualities in this model , it will be a smashing model, with many options for later releases { tenders, chimneys[4],even an round top fire box]  

But when it will be a H class, i will be as happy as with an Nelson, but a up to date tooled Nelson is on top of my list :locomotive:

If Bachmann are not doing a re-tool and re-runs of the Nelson, then they must be convinced that a new model at say £180 rrp isn't going to sell very well. The old one actually looked like a Nelson unlike the triang and wrenn Bullieds.

The smudge of pixels around the chimney looks more like a King Arthur shaped chimney than a (larger) LN to me?

The tender colouring looks a luminous shade of green? Wishful thinking for me, but I hope it's Sir Lamiel 777 in malachite green. :)

Luminous shade of green?, I only see 50 shades of grey :jester:

• RMweb Gold

It looks like (?) there are two white discs on the front (lower left and right) - what type of service does that denote ?

If its a Nelson, the most likely one would be Victoria (or Holborn) to Folkestone or Dover via Orpington loop, Tonbridge and Ashford.

In the latter years of their careers, maybe a Bournemouth - Weymouth stopper, and there are several other routes to choose from.

It is also the national standard express passenger headcode, which did appear on inter-regional services via Reading and Basingstoke to Bournemouth (and probably elsewhere outside of my knowledge/experience).

John

New for 2018. Brighton Belle and a new Collector Club

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/thecollector

The revamped, revamped club replaces the all new revamped club which replaces the relaunched club that replaced the original.

It looks to have copied Bachmanns model, I wonder if the high price is a ruse to try and nibble the success that Bachmanns club is, if Bachmann see this and tempt an increase, and their club falls as a result, Hornby succeeded in bringing it down.

It's unclear whether they will extend an offer to people living outside the British Isles or Continental Europe. They rescinded the opportunity for overseas patrons to receive any printed publications in the most recent, defunct version of the Collectors' Club.

Bachmann does offer subscriptions to overseas members of their Collectors' Club, but it did take them a couple of goes to get reliable delivery managed.

It's unclear whether they will extend an offer to people living outside the British Isles or Continental Europe. They rescinded the opportunity for overseas patrons to receive any printed publications in the most recent, defunct version of the Collectors' Club.

Bachmann does offer subscriptions to overseas members of their Collectors' Club, but it did take them a couple of goes to get reliable delivery managed.

I hope they do make it possible for people abroad to join the club. It would be seriously annoying for me.

• RMweb Gold

I was thinking the same thing.

A number of our overseas forum members are expressing this.A suggestion from this onshore member is that you make representation to Hornby on the matter.Collectively,it might make the point more forcibly.Can't do any harm,surely ?

Edited by Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Is the mag known for non-Hornby products in? The picture of the schools, with 3 marks 1’s and Hornby tanks has a 2 car emu in the background that really doesn’t look like a 2bil, maybe a class 207 or an emu with half yellow panel in green.