The Engine Shed

Multiple identity account

just read the engine shed blog and think its a real shame Hornby had to dedicate so much of it to dealing with more color whinging. why cant anyone ever wait until they see a model in the flesh before claiming a color is wrong?

pictures never look like the real model. far too many armchair moaners who think they are reincarnated painters from crewe works!

What colour space do people have their monitors set to as if it is the only way people are seeing the models and photos that the manufacturers are using, then the colours are all wrong! I use sRGB IEEC611966-2.1 colour space on my monitor to match the printed output of my HP Photosmart printer.

Then I am sorry for your state of confusion. It is however an exaggeration to conclude that two observations on the offending part constitute a conspiracy of complaint. My post simply agreed with that of another.

And I never indicated that it was a conspiracy of complaint, merely was pointing out given that new tooling is frequently discussed on this thread that in the case of this particular model what you see is what you get given it is existing tooling.

• RMweb Premium

What colour space do people have their monitors set to as if it is the only way people are seeing the models and photos that the manufacturers are using, then the colours are all wrong! I use sRGB IEEC611966-2.1 colour space on my monitor to match the printed output of my HP Photosmart printer.

And how accurate is the printer?  Not very unless it cost several thousands!

I checked my cheap monitor against genuine Pantone samples and found it to be remarkably accurate, but different to my expensive multi-ink Epson printer even though that was quite good.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

And how accurate is the printer?  Not very unless it cost several thousands!

I checked my cheap monitor against genuine Pantone samples and found it to be remarkably accurate, but different to my expensive multi-ink Epson printer even though that was quite good.

Keith

I would have thought colour matching a printer to a monitor would be rather difficult regardless of colour profiles? Monitors are RGB devices and printers CMYK.

It is worth remembering the fundamental proprieties of light - which are not as you might expect if you approch the subject as a painter so to speak.

A monitor creates a certain shade by adding together the three primary colours (red, blue and green) to create any given shade - and if the proportions are correct then you will perceive the output as the colour 'white'. This is no different to sunlight, which as some (though possibly not as many as before) school kids know can be split into its constituent parts via a prism.

By contrast when you look at a model (or indeed a real locomotive) the colour you 'see' is the result of certain light frequencies being absorbed depending on the amount of red, blue or yellow pigment present. 'White is the result of all light being reflected back - black being it all absorbed. Hence why the same thing can look radically different when viewed in bright sunshine, an overcast day, under filament lamps, under florescent lamps, under LED light, under candlelight, etc. If your light source has say a grater proportion of red light then this will in turn increase the amount reflected by a 'red' object and thus may give a false impression of just how vivid it is.

And thats before we start getting down to the whole thing about no two eyes having exactly the same configuration of rods and cones (and thus perceiving light - and by extension colour identically).

Thus claims that 'my monitor matches blah, blah, blah' or equally 'my printer matches blah, blah, blah don't actually prove anything when it comes to proving models to be 'correct' in livery terms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Message on Hornby Facebook page to say no engine she'd post this weekend but back in 2 weeks so no surprises as advertised then!

Mark

That’s disappointing. The last Engine Shed said it would be a day or two late due to the Great Electric Train Show.

• RMweb Gold

That’s disappointing. The last Engine Shed said it would be a day or two late due to the Great Electric Train Show.

The MiM intercepted the latest approval samples, while enroute to NZ (and an appointment with a certain RMWeb member) and they weren't happy - hence the delay  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

The MiM intercepted the latest approval samples, while enroute to NZ (and an appointment with a certain RMWeb member) and they weren't happy - hence the delay  :jester:  :jester:  :jester:

Why are my ears burning?

The grey cat which frequents my house has just started howling, and even when I sit very still taking photos by my desk (typically 8 sec exposures) the adjacent window rattles for no reason.

I detect mischief ,   but on the other hand Simon Kohler is probably behind it all.    :)

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

Ahh I forgot Simon Kohlers back. All down to Broadstairs for a slap up sausage roll where the 2018 range will be announced but embargoed till New Year

I seriously hope it's not that. Engine Shed has been a great channel for Hornby .The drip feed approach increases interest for Hornby . They could maintain that from now to Christmas. However, didn't they make the main announcement at Warley last year?

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic news about the Brighton Belle. And also great that from this release it will have NEM couplings and pockets, rather than the electrical plug arrangement on previous ones. Will make them that much easier to get correct style coaches for a VSOE rake.

That must be the Engine Shed that they couldn’t release “due to unforeseen circumstances” on Friday, since it says updates from the Great Train Show will be shown over the weekend.

Edited by Hilux5972

This might be of interest, stumbled upon it whilst looking for the Pantone paint code of Hitachi DfT Grey on the class 800. 

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/aamm-blog-building-2

New for 2018. Brighton Belle and a new Collector Club

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/thecollector

The collectors club link has a H class silhouetted to be announce at Warley - now its time to panic! If it is 263, they will need to do 2000 of them!

• RMweb Gold

The revamped, revamped club replaces the all new revamped club which replaces the relaunched club that replaced the original.

£40 or £80 membership fee with a promise that collectors club models will now only be available to collectors club members (it really says that !!).

*** Gone is the 10% Hornby website discount, which was the only benefit to me of being in it.*** will my preorders be honoured or should I just buy elsewhere ?)

It looks to have copied Bachmanns model, I wonder if the high price is a ruse to try and nibble the success that Bachmanns club is, if Bachmann see this and tempt an increase, and their club falls as a result, Hornby succeeded in bringing it down.

The last few years of this club have brought me very little, despite all the promises, relaunches etc, not sure i’m ready to double up on price and try again, given the only benefit I had has gone, unless that H class image is the Bluebells own H class and the club price reflects the high price of joining it, i’m not sure anything else in there does anything for me.

I’m cautiously approaching this one, and still have 6 months membership to run on the old revamped one, not having seen anything in that first 6 months of it.

Let’s see what Warley brings, but initial thoughts are I may return them my membership card (only they never actually gave me one in the first place).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

I see that they've hoiked the membership fee up by 100%.  I'm not sure that the benefits and the prospect of a "free wagon of your choice to a value of £15.99" make it worth while.  It all depends on the club discount on club locos and if they're worth having!

And another £40 for "plus" membership, whch merely seems to confer the benefit of a subscription to Hornby mag?

Hmmmmmm......

• RMweb Premium

Probably being dense , but can't find the link to Brighton Belle. The collectors club now looks very similar to the Bachmann one , even to the point of card and lapel badge . All they need now is the VIP suite with champagne and dancing girls .

I'm not sure. I am in two minds on the plus side for me , Catalogue as soon as announced (no where to buy it up here), promises an depth look inside industry in the mag. On the down side, because of Geography, I'm in Scotland , unlikely to take advantage of members days. And isn't it a bit pricey compared to Bachmann. I would be annoyed if it turns out the mag is full of Thomas the tank Engine and just expands the content of the old one.

But overall you can see they are trying to recapture the initiative . Got to be a good idea. £30 may have been a more appropriate price point , even if they ditched the free wagon to get there.

Edited by Legend

• RMweb Premium

Probably being dense , but can't find the link to Brighton Belle.

It seems to me that this blog hasn’t been officially released yet. It is nowhere in the Engine Shed Page, and the web address seems to infer that it is a blog building page rather than the actual blog page.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/aamm-blog-building-2

I’m sure as soon as the blog is officially released it will be available to find on the website.

• RMweb Gold

Seems to be using the Bachmann "model". No bad thing really.....maybe they could up their game with their hospitality suites :jester: .A magazine (hope for something substantial here) and a closer relationship (careful here...people are beginning to talk :stinker: ) with Hornby Magazine. Err...which is which ? Distinctions are blurred.

Joking aside.......this appears  ( I hope ) to be a step in the right direction. But after the last fiasco many of us might be sceptical and will need convincing. Ben Jones journalistic experience can only help.I look forward to further information at the NEC next month.