Which of the new build locos is the nearest to be finished?

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Premium

and which P2,

the replica of a A4 nosed one, or the Prince of Wales new build.

large difference between the two of them (sorry to everyone else but just giving some clarity to anyone reading that doesn't know there 2 P2's being built or is unsure of specifics)

Cock of the north will be a complete replica of the original  with the later modifications

http://www.cockothenorth.co.uk/index.html

Prince of Wales is a new build, design has been improved to solve major mechanical problems that the original and modified P2's suffered.

http://www.p2steam.com/

Or a flip question could be "which are likely to be finished"

I don't know about narrow gauge but I think the G5 is making good progress as is the P2 (even at this early stage) but I think there are a few that won't get far (Ok I'll say it.......The Clan...)

I don't keep up with them all but It comes down to money, those 2 locos either have the large items purchased or a good business case and experience, whereas some of the others are trying to fund a multi million pound purchase with the proceeds from a jumble sale.

G5 is a long way off the company building it went bust. There still a lot of key parts to make and I was led to believe at a recent event that more investors are required to join the company to make it happen, the company that own it are short on cash. The patriot will be the next to steam.

• RMweb Premium

I tried the Patriot postings and the computer tells me the images are not available (invalid address)

Anybody else see the pictures?

keith

I don't see any at the start of the thread but I do at the end. It looks like the thread goes back a way so the pictures might simply not be there any more.

• RMweb Gold

G5 is a long way off the company building it went bust. There still a lot of key parts to make and I was led to believe at a recent event that more investors are required to join the company to make it happen, the company that own it are short on cash. The patriot will be the next to steam.

For others to avoid a misunderstanding, it was an engineering company that was carrying out works on behalf of the G5 build group that has gone into administration.

I thought they had the boiler, frames, wheels etc which are the expensive single items ?

All the groups would want more investors as it would shorten the timescale for building.

Never associated with Wales or indeed England, Prince of Wales seems an odd choice of name for a P2. Naturally i first assumed it was a LNWR 4-6-0, which would have no trouble hauling plenty of bums on seats, whereas I have a nagging feeling the 2-8-2 will fall foul of some new directive at some point in its life and will end up on the Llangollen or Great Central.

Never associated with Wales or indeed England, Prince of Wales seems an odd choice of name for a P2. Naturally i first assumed it was a LNWR 4-6-0, which would have no trouble hauling plenty of bums on seats, whereas I have a nagging feeling the 2-8-2 will fall foul of some new directive at some point in its life and will end up on the Llangollen or Great Central.

Perhaps a little boot licking with the hope of raising a few more pennies?

Mike

and which P2,

the replica of a A4 nosed one, or the Prince of Wales new build.

large difference between the two of them (sorry to everyone else but just giving some clarity to anyone reading that doesn't know there 2 P2's being built or is unsure of specifics)

Cock of the north will be a complete replica of the original  with the later modifications

http://www.cockothenorth.co.uk/index.html

Prince of Wales is a new build, design has been improved to solve major mechanical problems that the original and modified P2's suffered.

http://www.p2steam.com/

This is the first time I heard about 2 P2s being built, wow, I've heard about the Prince of Wales before, but not the replica Cock o the north, this is amazing to hear.

• RMweb Gold

This is the first time I heard about 2 P2s being built, wow, I've heard about the Prince of Wales before, but not the replica Cock o the north, this is amazing to hear.

I could be wrong but the "Cock of the North" with the A4 front end has been proposed for 10+ years with little progress but the "Prince of Wales" being built by the same group as Tornado has something like £1.5M already either donated or promised and has erected frames and cast the wheels. I would doubt CotN will be built now. 

Built those wagons yet....... :mosking:  you're faster than me.....

For others to avoid a misunderstanding, it was an engineering company that was carrying out works on behalf of the G5 build group that has gone into administration.

I thought they had the boiler, frames, wheels etc which are the expensive single items ?

All the groups would want more investors as it would shorten the timescale for building.

RRNE is in liquidation. I agree some of the more expensive parts are present but there are others still required and there is a lot of the motion that needs casting, bearing, etc. All expensive items, a long way to go and a lot of money needed to get it over the line. They need someone to finishing assembling it also! I had a good chat with one of the company investors, few years to go in his opinion and other members.

Definitely think we will see the Patriot first, followed by the Darlington P2

• RMweb Gold

Just to add the frames for CoTN have been cut and were cut not long before Prince of Wales's ones. So construction has started.

Chris

Edit: The frames are currently at Didcot Railway Centre.

Yes, but isn't the Clan on its second set of frames. . . . . . I appreciate it's a milestone but maybe one of the easier ones to attain?

I wish the CotN group well but doubt I will contribute, it has taken quite a while to get to the point of cutting the frames and they still have wheel and cylinder castings, motion and the minor issue of the boiler to fund and manufacture, that's a pretty big list for a volunteer group that has shown little progress. Prince of Wales does seem to have a better business case and fundraising plan behind it and of the 2 I think that is the one that will reach fruition.

• RMweb Premium

Please can we not do the "Why have they called it Prince of Wales?" thing all over again? It was done to death on another thread and is well off topic on this one. It is a name with an LNER history (previously on an A3) and a rather high profile fan who happens to have that title. 

The difference between the two P2 builds is that one is by an organisation that has a track record of putting a big engine onto the tracks and a highly professional and proven fund raising system and the other project team is a newcomer to the game. The Cock O' The North project had a ten year or more head start but Prince of Wales has already caught it up and overtaken it.

The Patriot seems to be another well run highly professional project and seems to be making good progress, as is the LBSCR Atlantic (which had a donor boiler which is a big help to such projects).

As for which will steam first, the rate of fundraising for Prince of Wales has been quite staggering and as it is usually funding which slows things down and they have so much preparation work already done I have a feeling that they may just surprise everybody with just how quickly they get finished.

Please can we not do the "Why have they called it Prince of Wales?" thing all over again? It was done to death on another thread and is well off topic on this one. 

It might well have been done to death on another thread, but we dont all read 'another' thread. Most of what I have read on this thread concerning new-build locomotives is news to me and possibly other members as well.  :smoke:

• RMweb Premium

It might well have been done to death on another thread, but we dont all read 'another' thread. Most of what I have read on this thread concerning new-build locomotives is news to me and possibly other members as well.  :smoke:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/14167-gresleys-lost-masterpiece-p2-no2007/page-1

This is the one.........

To save us having the discussion again.

I think it is reasonable to say that you were not totally in the dark about it as you contributed to that thread a couple of times.

Still, perhaps you stopped reading it before it got to the bit about the names.

Surely that is the right place for a discussion about the P2 name rather than on a thread about which new build will steam next.

It is proposed to run it as 'Duke of Rothesay' when in Scotland.

An auto nameplate change device is to be fitted, activated off the GPS when passing Berwick .... oh hang on, that's a news story for two day's time :jester:

They had to ask EON Productions for permission to use the technology. However, speculation that the new P2 will also feature an ejector seat is thought to be somewhat wide of the mark....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived