The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Thunderbirds

Londontram

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Recorded it and watched it late last night , after the kids (two teenage girls!) had gone to bed.

As a 48-year-old who still remembers the excitement of waiting for the originals to come on each week - and the envy of noticing it was still being run on ITV Midlands when my area, Anglia, was running Survival or something - I thought it was a really good effort.

Wherever I lived as a child, whether it was Wales or Cornwall, Thunderbirds never seemed to be shown on that region. Frustratingly, you'd see it in the TV Times listings for the other regions, but never ours! We also never got Captain Scarlet, although Joe 90 and UFO were shown occasionally. Eventually a lad (Steve) moved to our school from the North East, and he had all the info on the episodes - he'd even seen Stingray! I remember him telling me how great some of the episodes were, and yet all we had to go on were one or two dog-eared Thunderbirds annuals and the Dinky model of TB2!

I must have been ten or eleven by the time the two films were shown on ITV, and then by the time I'd gone to Comprehensive school, HTV Wales started showing re-runs of the original Thunderbirds in the late 70s, but by then I was much older than the intended audience. I still enjoyed seeing them, though.

I'm 49 now, and that lad from the North East is still a mate, even though he lives half way around the world!

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

I shall certainly record to watch later further episodes, as with New Captain Scarlet (admittedly that also suffered horribly from the ludicrous broken-up insertion in a kids package schedule) the 'kid pacing' removes for me the build up of tension brilliantly achieved by AP/Century 21 and that, as a Mr Hitchcock often opined, denies the audience the opportunity to respond emotionally - blink and it's over just results in it feeling pretty empty to me.  That might be fine for a modern Saturday morning target audience as it's currently scheduled, but the original style of production aimed a lot higher without boring the then just-back-from-school broadcast majority.

Jeff has most likely been removed to boost the notion that the kids can do just as well without...

It's very well made, the visuals are well produced apart, I thought, from some of the road undulations FAB1 had to negotiate which would for sure attract criticism if portrayed on an exhibition model railway.  Again, some of the deliberate clunkyness can be fun but too much undervalues the product to my mind.

I'm not too concerned over the revamp of the vehicles, a bit Lego-ey which may have some marketing influence(?), but no harm done really.  I did wonder if John Scott sitting upright at launch would be corrected...  Folding wings on TB2 in the pod bay does resolve a much questioned functional aspect... Fast-forward tv shown credits save modern-world valuable advertising timing.

Vastly better, on the whole, than that Frakes-led awfulness (save the wonderful Mr Kingsley as The Hood), although designed to appeal in much the same way to much the same audience that reportedly Mr Anderson quite rightly tuned down the offer of much needed funds to endorse.

Regards, Gerry 8)

Edit: John/Scott - what was I thinking?

Edited by steam-driven boy

Brilliant. I can't wait for the next one. There were so many links to the original. Examples

Sea lab- inspiration from Atlantic inferno?

Sea lab scientist. Dr meddings- Derek meddings. Original series model maker, designer of FireFlash.

Dish reflecting Suns rays onto town, original series 'Lord parkers 'oliday.

Alan's embarrassing talk with kayo in TB3- reference to Alan and TinTins relationship.

Alan fixing satalite kayo says 'just like fixing the TV' original series reference operation crash dive. Alan fixes FireFlash TinTins states 'just like fixing a fuse'

And brains' robot, like Breyman in original series.

All in all I was impressed. My 4 year old loved it too. The only real niggle is do they really need Pete Dyneleys voice over at every craft launch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

The itv Easter 'treat' was in showing the (what I've seen as produced) two-parter as one - as usual these days 1hr = approx 43mins without ads, I guess the launch voiceover won't get too annoying when shown in the normal format, there won't be that much time for too many launches!

Regards, Gerry 8)

• RMweb Gold

It was on ITV2  Thursday 2nd April at 8.00pm   Reggie and Thunderbirds - No Strings Attached,  with Reggie Yates,

I quite enjoyed it, as already mentioned a lot of the people involved in the project were already fans, and that showed through.

I have not seen the 'new' Thunderbirds yet,

cheers

This is on ITV this afternoon at 4.05pm.

The original toy Thunderbird 2 was by Dinky (they did Lady P's pink Rolls Royce too*). Early version was correct green (which my mate had) later version I had to make do with was metallic blue with red legs :O it was oneof my very first modelling re-painting projects!! ;)

* The radiator used to flip down so a missile could be fired. This led to the tiny RR mascot on the top of the radiator eventually breaking off. Mint models with an intact mascot are worth mega-money on the Collector's market, apparently.

Edited by F-UnitMad

: for example, I didn't believe Gordon would jeopardise the rescue of 3 people to check out something in an underwater cave. He could've gone back later!

Cheers

Ben A.

Yeah, it was really weird the way that Gordon just decided to go off on a personal errand in a middle of a rescue! Has he forgotten the name of the organisation that he works for?

Edited by bennyboy

I miss the strings, and I do not like the way they have changed Lady Penelope, but mainly the music was CARP. There was a hint of the original music in the opening credits but then it was all bland lift music - no beating the drums or crescendos to the theme tune. What have they done?

However, the actoress who plays Bird in Bluestone 42 is the voice of the new character, Head of Security, most excellent. The models are more refined but not even to Star Wars levels of realism, even though the plot and dialogue was good, even quite funny in places. It looks like they have left the issue of whether Jeff Tracy is really dead quite open.

I am not quite sure from what origin the new "Brains" hails, a cross between India and Scotland maybe? The character is similar, although not quite as nerdishly funny - more emphasis on the brilliance. Perhaps this is necessary these days for impressionistic small humans.

I will continue to see how my c.50 years ago rose-tinted memories cope. My grandson is not yet old enough to give his opinion, so I must watch on his behalf..

Not that bad - the CGI figures left a bit to be desired, compare with the CGI  in the Life of Pi and it was obviously done to a limited budget. Probably best to see how the half hour normal episodes fare before judging it solely on the hour long special - after all how many programmes have had a special extra long episode which is poor compared to the normal run.

I sat eagerly waiting for the first episode to be shown back in the sixties, I wasn't disappointed.

I watched all over again with my daughter in the early 80s, then again with my sons in the early 90s.

I introduced my youngest grandchildren to Supercar ,Stingray and Thunderbirds and they love them all just as much as I did 50 years ago, the Andersons got something right.

I can't see this (seemingly) mutant turtle DNA affected International Rescue lasting 50 years.

The only thing that was right was Parker's voice.

• RMweb Gold

Watched it last night on catch up with my two boys (14 and 11) who I had brainwashed when they were younger by buying them the original dvd's and Tracey Island etc. ;)

Overall we thought it was quite entertaining with some nice references back to the original.

We did all agree that it was all a bit too rushed though..We used to enjoy seeing the Thunderbird pod released in the water and hear the door slowly open etc...or each of the craft lifting off elegantly rather than bish bash bosh.

That said, one can appreciate that life moves forward and to keep the attention span of children, perhaps they felt the need to keep it busy...my two managed to put down their iPhones/iPads for the duration...which is something of an achievement...

Edited by bcnPete
  • Like 2

Looks like 'Trapped In The Sky' has been remade.

For me todays episode felt better paced although there were still some niggles (although the target audience wouldn't care). I think that in the first episode the plot took a bit of a backseat as all of the major characters and the Thunderbird craft, along with respective launch sequences, had to be introduced in the 45 minutes.

• Like 1