Rapido/Locomotion Models GNR Stirling Single

I have the Bachmann HO Emily and that has the same as the G scale. Large wheel and trailing (bogie) wheel are driven/geared.

This was in the process of becoming GNR 1003.

Mark in oz

An interesting challenge - I thought at first a tender drive but as alternate tenders are on offer presumably not so, anyway got to put the speaker somewhere! Standard RTR practice would be to do as you say and therefore the c of g would have to be somewhere aft of the main driver with the bogie lightly sprung down onto the track....quite an overhang though!

• RMweb Premium

It will no doubt be a beautiful model. If it is as good as it should be given the price - and it is a good price for a good model - then perhaps they will consider scanning the loco that she is standing next to - GWR 2-8-0 No 2818! Much more to my liking!

Why? Hornbys new one is superb.

A very exciting and welcome choice of subject. I congratulate Locomotion on their choice and RapidoTrains for being selected to manufacture it.

Kettle fan that I am, I'm looking forward to my first locomotive made by RapidoTrains.

It was only a matter of time for the NRM to commission a model of this iconic piece of British engineering and railway history. It makes me wonder when they will be ready to do the dynamometer coach in plastic (and who will be brave enough to take that on).  

I can still imagine a "race to the north" presentation set with Hardwicke one day.

• Like 8

It makes me wonder when they will be ready to do the dynamometer coach in plastic (and who will be brave enough to take that on).  

I can still imagine a "race to the north" presentation set with Hardwicke one day.

You must have been exploring the empty cavern that is my head today!

I have been nudging influential persons on both of those counts today. ;)

• Like 15

Very beautiful loco, one thing look at the site it says £50.00, But i can not see how much it will be overall?.  

You need to click on the "pay in full" link.

Looks like £199 for DCC ready and £289 for DCC Sound.

Very beautiful loco, one thing look at the site it says £50.00, But i can not see how much it will be overall?.  

Press the To Pay in Full "click here" icon at the start of the description.

Good luck to Rapido and Locomotion. I hope it sells well so that they can move on to another loco like the Midland 'Spinner' (I do like the Hardwicke suggestion as well though).

Edited by Poor Old Bruce
  • Like 1

Ahhh, look at my two babies doing what they do best.

post-10397-0-16934400-1428518181_thumb.j

For anyone interested, these two are named Lando and Greedo (all of my scanners are named after Star Wars Characters... Princess and Chewie were otherwise engaged on film stuff.

Great day today! In fact, a top day. The Stirling Single has well and truly won me over, especially with her curves. She is going to look great chuffing around either the Garden Railway, the office or BOTH. But more importantly, Shildon has now become my favourite location to scan in. I dont think I have ever met such a helpful bunch of people. What a fantastic place. It was my first time there and I now find myself asking why I waited so long to visit. Brilliant!

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant news, such a great prototype to produce. Just one omission by Rapido. You need to make a third option available, with a face and moving eyes. Full DCC sound equipped with all of Emily's phrases, a must have for all toddlers, and trust me there are many parents who would happily buy one at five in the morning so their toddler will go the f**k back to sleep and not watch Blue Mountain Mystery for the fourth time that day. [/slightly exhausted parental rant]

But joking aside I am so tempted to buy one. And an APT-E. Despite having no layout and them both being far outside my time period. Unless I build a museum layout......

I can hear my credit card screaming in agony already.

• Like 3

Guest spet0114

attachicon.gifsing3.jpg

The original, larger tender.

attachicon.gifsing4.jpg

The smaller "Sturrock" tender.

Interesting - although I (and everyone else here, I'll wager) has grown up with the Sturrock tender behind No. 1, having seen her with a Stirling tender for a few months, the Sturrock is starting to look wrong. Or is that just me?

Cheers

Adrian

In the words of Victor Meldrew "I don't belieeve it"!!!

As a primarily H0 Euro/US modeller, I can see no need for such a model yet as a fan of the Great Northern Railway and going along with the feeling that this is the most beautiful single wheeler ever,* I simply have to have one!

Thanks Locomotion and Rapido!

John E.

*Apologies to Poor Old Bruce!

Following on from previous NRM specials, I would expect it to represent the loco as preserved and has it has been preserved for over 100 years and ran in traffic for much less than that, preserved form is how it is best known. Not many people model GNR pre 1907 so the market for "in traffic" condition will be tiny compared to "as preserved".

It will certainly be a challenge as I know one or two folk who have thought long and hard about doing a kit and have run out of space and clearances in etched design.

Some compromises will be needed and it will be very interesting to see how this gets along.

Perhaps having scanned a full size locomotive this will be the first RTR P4 locomotive - shouldn't be any problems with clearances then!

A very exciting and welcome choice of subject. I congratulate Locomotion on their choice and RapidoTrains for being selected to manufacture it.

Kettle fan that I am, I'm looking forward to my first locomotive made by RapidoTrains.

It was only a matter of time for the NRM to commission a model of this iconic piece of British engineering and railway history. It makes me wonder when they will be ready to do the dynamometer coach in plastic (and who will be brave enough to take that on).

There are threads to GNR coaches elsewhere on this site.

Meanwhile, I'll dream...

http://www.vintagecarriagestrust.org/images/2856/2856gnr24.jpg

(This jpg appears in: http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=29504.0)

Although... This mention of P4 has led me to take another look at those (magnificent) wheels, and their context; and I'm starting to wonder what sort of compromises are going to be necessary for 00. (Edit:Sorry, missed the earlier post mentioning this.)

Why, oh why, Mr Hornby, after the war when you had a clean slate, did you elect to go back to this rubbish hybrid scale???

Edited by SamTom

• RMweb Premium

I have built this type of engine to 2mm finescale clearances, making the front bogie wheels on the narrow spectrum for tread width to allow side play up to the bogie splashers, which were electrically live to the split frame wheels, but insulated from the front running plate.

I would say that to build it in P4, whilst obviously no problem as such, would give you an engine that does not like curves. In this case the extra side movement available with the narrow gauge 00 clearances and the sloppy relationship with the rail will be advantageous. It is not flange depth that is the clearance problem but tread width. Pulling power in 00 may be reduced, if only driving one axle because of the poor wheel - rail relationship, a problem I found in making an N gauge Johnson Single. This engine spent most of its time going sideways and spinning rather than pulling properly, which was resolved once converted to 2mm FS.

Tim

• RMweb Premium

It's a radial truck, but if you make that rigid in the frames, in order to drive it, then your 0-8-0 will need non existent clearance at the front end.

Tim

0-8-0?

If the rear radial truck gets fixed to provide traction (not the front bogie) does it not become a 4-4-0 (or is that a 4-2-2-0)

Interesting - although I (and everyone else here, I'll wager) has grown up with the Sturrock tender behind No. 1, having seen her with a Stirling tender for a few months, the Sturrock is starting to look wrong. Or is that just me?

Cheers

Adrian

No, it's not just you. I'm presuming the Kitmaster model (of my youth) had the small tender but I'm thinking in Bill's pictures she looks better with the bigger one, so I guess that's what I'll be buying. Can't actually think of any reason WHY I should have one, except pure nostalgia!

CHRIS LEIGH

• Like 1

<snip>

Why, oh why, Mr Hornby, after the war when you had a clean slate, did you elect to go back to this rubbish hybrid scale???

Because the tooling still existed...

I've often wondered what would have happened if in the Luftwaffe had dropped some of their munitions differently. Would we have have started again from scratch in H0 or would they just have restarted in 00? Probably the latter...

Luke

Even though they did, and thus had the 'benefit' of a narrow gauge, they still found the need to make their locos'

running boards over-width to accommodate valve gear. (Example in mind: 8F)

The Nim.