Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

• RMweb Gold

Sweet Larry, it look so natural and like its been there for years.

Darling, Larry. I have to agree. The whole look is that of a well established layout......

Rob.

Evening Larry,

I think everything you've done lately has had a really positive effect.

A well earned break in one of my favourite parts of the world, hope you enjoy it. I can recall my father taking us there on holiday years ago, and he always wangled a couple of trips up the Ffestiniog on the Sunday as you could have a drink on board, when the rest of the area was dry!

Kind regards,

Jock.

I'm off for a narrow gauge Festiniog 'fix' in Porthmadog....

You're clearly a man of good taste and discernment Coach (but we knew that already) - every time I go north to Brum on business, I hear the 08:25 Pwllheli train being announced at New Street and want to skive off to Porthmadog on it for a Ffesty ffix. I hope you have a cracking day - can we have some photos please?

David

I love the fact you're forever adapting and changing.  A small suggestion;  the chemical works is easily seen under the bridge but not above.  Perhaps some kind of representation on the backscene would improve this?

I have pondered on this but painting a representation on the backscene would only work from one position. Maybe the works should be moved further away from the bridge. Glad you mentioned it, as it tells me someone else was uncomfortable with it.

• RMweb Gold

Looks like it's all coming together nicely Larry.

I do like the SMP track as well.

Can I ask a question?

When you modified your Hornby Olton Hall did you change the steam pipes around the smokebox?

I'm going to modify one in late GWR period.

Cheers,

Mark

A few more photos of it and 7827 wouldn't go amiss either! ;)

Too dull to venture over to the Victorian Gala at Porthmadog so I listened instead to my 38XX barking its way around Ellesmere! The first move for 3865 was to collect a brakevan. One was stabled in the colliery yard.....

attachicon.gifWEB Colliery move 1.jpg

The brake van was then attached to a train of loaded mineral wagons (they should be loaded but shushhh). Crosfield chemical tanks in the other siding....

attachicon.gifWEB Colliery move 2.jpg

3865 departing Ellesmere Colliery yard towards the station. It leaves the brake van at the rear behind......

attachicon.gifWEB Colliery move 3.jpg

After arrival at Ellesmere North Station, the 38XX proceeds to run round its train.....

attachicon.gifWEB Colliery move 4.jpg

attachicon.gifWEB Colliery move 5.jpg

The coal train is awaiting a road to Croes Newydd Junction. Aye, it's a scandal..... No lamps! ..... No signals!....No telegraph poles!.....No footplate crew....

attachicon.gifWEB Colliery move 6.jpg

Time Larry, it takes time to do it all, your doing the right thing and making sure it WORKS FOR YOU first.

But still FUN

Don

Too right. For years I spurned converting to DCC, in fact I remember someone phoning me 7 or 8 years ago to tell me it would be ideal for my then Greenfield loco shed. But once something clicks I go for it hell and high water and moving locos with sound around is great. Because one can hear the exhaust, every maneuver is so much slower, which of course is DCC's ˈfȯr-tē, and makes me realise how unrealistically fast I used to move everything.

Some great photos, Larry. I must update/upgrade my camera. Any recommendations a reasonable camera for somebody who doesn't know their f-numbers from their auto-flash?

I happen to use a Canon 600D, which replaced my smashed 500D. The current upgrade of my 600D is the 700D but with touch screen. The back screen still folds out and twists, vital when shooting around the layout (I never use the viewfinder),  I shoot mainly as 3200 ASA in the shed because the resolution is good enough for a PC screen. I always use Tv mode (shutter-priority), a legacy from my 'publishing' days when the most important factor in photographing moving trains was shutter speed. Messing around shooting images the various options in order to compare is pointless. Far better to stick to one mode and find out what it will do for you. I always over-expose in the shed by 2/3ds of a stop using the AV button on the back plate. Lastly, my chosen focus point is the centre of the screen, however, it can be moved around when using the back screen to suit. That point also sets the centre weighted exposure.

DPReview is a good place to start....    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-700d-rebel-t5i

That last set of pictures are amazing ,this picture is my favourite

post-5078-0-26807100-1444752403.jpg

The way the sleepers sit in the ground is perfect and the well trodden path to the cattle dock very nicely done even the paint job on the actual dock fencing looks real

Brian

Thanks Brian. I was a little apprehensive about this shot because I didn't replace the Peco track just here at the buffer stops (I ran out of SMP). 

Glued 3/8" of cork down as a base on which to assemble and glue a RTP bridge (it required this packing to clear the loading gauge). Then it was painted blue-grey to match the brickwork. So here it is weighted and drying. Its width compared with the previous arch bridge permitted me to position it astride the first fiddle yard turnout to allow a clearer and longer view of the scenic section beyond....

attachicon.gifWEB Bridge 1.jpg

Even with the peco ,it looks spot on and very convincing and a great eye for tones and colour

Brian

Forgive my ignorance, but what is an RTP bridge? I like the look of it, but don't now what it is or where one would get one from.

Hi Rich, It is a Bachmann product purchased at a much lower price than the norm from Rails of Sheffield. The code on the invoice is Scenecraft 44-152 Railway Road Over Bridge.

Archived