Ellesmere North (W.Region 1957)

coachmann

Looks Great Larry

But what have you changed and how does it to connect to the layout you had before?

Pete

It's a previous layout Pete started in 2006 and ripped up in 2009 if memory serves me correctly. The only link to Ellesmere North are the Peco points and SMP track, as I am currently trying to decide which track to use on the next version of Ellesmere North.

• RMweb Gold

He he, no. I cannot resist a 'King' for display, but obviously I will be keeping schtum when it is running on the layout...

There is an old thread somewhere about steam locos where they shouldn't be. I can't remember mention of Kings straying off course but there were some notable events recorded. One involved 60088 Book Law, which turned up at Aston shed after working the Stirling Car Sleeper thhough to Sutton Coldfield. It was promptly booked for the return working, then someone pointed out that A3s were barred south of Derby so it remained at Aston until a route was agreed for it to return home.

Evening Larry,

I would like to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Thank you for sharing your modelling skills with us - great inspiration for expert or novice alike. I have long admired your skills as 'Coachman' over many years and in numerous publications and look forward to your continued 'tutorials' on here,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect a 'King' on the Cambrian mainline is beyond even Rule 1.....  :biggrin_mini2:  Hornby's model is a fine looking beast and so I think I can live without flared spokes and a recess for the cab number plate.

A King on one of those lovely Timber Trestles would look a bit odd but on plain track would not look so bad. I assume it may be due to the low speed limits but I have seen 6024 on the single track of the Minehead Branch. Presevation days of course. I have also driven 6024 up and down at Tysley. So I have Tower model to remind me. Does look a bit out of place with pre-group stock but Rule 1 applies when I want to run it. 

Don

A King on one of those lovely Timber Trestles would look a bit odd but on plain track would not look so bad. I assume it may be due to the low speed limits but I have seen 6024 on the single track of the Minehead Branch. Presevation days of course. I have also driven 6024 up and down at Tysley. So I have Tower model to remind me. Does look a bit out of place with pre-group stock but Rule 1 applies when I want to run it. 

Don

I have never been impressed by real 'King' class locos, dont know why, but models can look very impressive and in Hornby's case it's well tidy! 

Ellesmere-wise, I have ordered a Hornby 'Hall' of the earliest variant with no fire-iron tunnel over the splashers, so a spot of moulded handrail removal is on the cards. This renders a Modified Hall surplus. 

Track-wise, I had been carrying the notion around in my head that Peco Code 100 would be laid next time for simplicity. But common-sence has prevailed and it looks like it will be Peco Code 75 points with SMP 'flexible' again. Things are coming to a head because I feel some baseboard widening coming on - time permitting.

Bread 'n butter-wise, I have orders to complete, which together with a busy household schedule will keep me busy.

DCC Sound-wise, a new Hornby 8F arrived behind the reindeer and one of the fine Locoman 8F sound decoders has now been installed. I am looking forward to trials in the morning on Ellesmere North....

• RMweb Gold

Coach, am I right in thinking that C&L now do proper bullhead code 75 with 'thick' sleepers to match Peco points?  That may solve one of your previous problems with mix n match track systems....

They certainly do, in the "high nickel " range.

Very interested your assessment of the latest 8F sound decoder, Coach

They certainly do, in the "high nickel " range.

Very interested your assessment of the latest 8F sound decoder, Coach

The railhead of the previous C+L flexible track I purchased did indeed come closer to matching that on Peco Code 75 although I cannot remember if the C+L sleepers were thicker or the rail held higher within the chairs. I did some 'video' rushes today using the DSLR, but it was hardly J. Arthur Rank quality!  Nevertheless, I was not best pleased with my mixed trackwork as the 8F bucked and waddled towards the camera.  So before any further progress I intend carrying out experiments with Peco Code 75 and also Code 100 to find a solution to ultra-level track. No blame is attached to the 8F, which I was testing for DCC Sound.

I was delighted this morning with the Locoman 8F sound installed in an 8F. The deep exhaust reduced automatically through at least three phases and and the acceleration noises differed as well. Fast running was accompanied by the best sound I have heard yet. I am not so sure about the clanking from the motion as it sounds too tinny.......I am hoping there is a way of adding bass to this particular sound. Slow running is spot on and the LMS Stanier hooter is a delight especially the 'long whistle with echo'.  I put the latter on handset button 4. With care the 8F 2-8-0 can be 'driven' sounding like the real thing (I use a Lenz LH90 with control wheel).

I am hoping to put this 8F sound in a Fairburn 2-6-4T, but at the moment I am waiting to hear the sound that Charlie has created in his loco.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Larry, have a look at this for the new thick sleeper flexitrack

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=346_375_377_379&product_id=12271

Regarding your 8F mine runs fine on C&L but my turnouts are hand-built to 00-SF. Hope your problem get sorted soon.

Hi Larry, have a look at this for the new thick sleeper flexitrack

http://www.finescale.org.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=346_375_377_379&product_id=12271

Regarding your 8F mine runs fine on C&L but my turnouts are hand-built to 00-SF. Hope your problem get sorted soon.

00-SF points are most likely the answer but I will not be building any. Peco has got to be the answer in the end seeing as I will need four double-slips if I am to be faithful to a plan...

I've just BINNED my Double Slip and both Three Way Points from Pencarne, Frog polarity and derailment problems, I hope your track laying is a lot better than mine. 

BTW I've just done a Larry, hahhaa more details soon.

Really puzzling that Larry, I've had it once with a Diesel when I had to re set to makers settings which wasn't good.

I've just ordered 6 Sound Chips from Howes of Oxford, I've had their 8F Chip before and for me its awesome, So I've ordered another 8F, 4F, 7F, 9F, Black 5, and Jubilee I've also had excellent results from South West Digital with the Pannier and Ivatt 2MT in O Gauge but with OO Chips.

All the best and I hope you get it sorted, and SOOOOON.

I will  see how things go with the Locoman decoder in the morning. We have had to reset one of the MX648's from a different supplier to makers setting three times now (I had thought the problem was cured), and it still delivers a guards whistle, three loco whistles and the chuffing sound of an accelerating loco while the loco is stationary. DCC Sound is an expensive hobby when it doesn't deliver. 

In the post above you mention Locoman, I've not heard of these, did you mean Locoman, or Leggomanbiffo?

Legomanbiffo ESU sounds covers Diesels frm DC kits.  Locoman is the name under which a new range of steam loco sounds is being developed by DC kits. The first decoder is for an 8F and it sounds better than anything i have heard so far. But it has died on me. I will provide links :-

http://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/shop/dcc_digital_loco_sounds/locoman_superior_steam_loco_sounds/lms_class_8f_2_8_0_locoman_.php

Archived