The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

...I actually feel a bit sad for them but can understand how others start to harden to the benefits culture we have amongst some.

So easily solved under a 'universal benefit' system. If you are fit then you receive this benefit in exchange for appearance for either full time education (and stoppages if academic performance is inadequate!) or socially useful work 5/8 like everyone else. Sweeping, cleaning, path clearance, snow shovelling. Those with disabilities unable to perform physical work constitute the administration for these operations. Standard leave entitlement at the average level found in paid employment. Not a piece of chewing gum or dog turd contaminating our paths thanks to 24/7 clean up. I really cannot see a problem with this.

I agree. Many years ago I saw a small feature in a paper years ago, possibly in the Telegraph, which outlined a story of how someone, in this kind of environment, could be judged as being a threat to 'the system' in error and systematically cut off from access to money and services, etc. It was interesting, frightening and seemingly plausible enough to have stuck with me for all this time.

Orwell was close with 1984, he was just about 35 years out...

You want to try Philip K Dick. I think it is 'Galactic Pot Healer' where Joe Chip - a skilled tradesman -  is stuck in his apartment and cannot get out becuse he has no credit. The door charges five cents to open you see, as does every other aspect of 'operating' his accomodation. 

Something that isn't getting enough discussion in the 'electronification' of cash is how children are provided for. There will always be an 'education by osmosis' need for something tangible in the way of cash to enable many - possibly most - to best understand how money works,.

I got my bus pass last July - though have only used it once on a bus, and that was from Romford station to visit a family friend whilst down in London. (I forgot my zone 1-6 day travel card was valid on a bus !!!).

It is, however fantastic for using on Greater Manchester trains (and trams). Yesterday whilst in town (Wigan) popped onto a Glasgow - Manchester Airport express EMU to Man Piccadilly and had a quick walk round Chinatown and got some Chinese vegetables for the wife's stir fry then calling into (of course) Ian Allans shop !!. Back to sunny Wigan on an Edinburgh express. Nice little trip, I love these new Trans Pennine EMU's.

I've worked and paid into the system since I left school straight through to retirement. I deserve my bus pass / heating allowance, and State Pension in a couple of years, the State Pension is NOT a benefit as I (and millions of others) have paid for that over many years also. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Brit15

My personal view is...and has always been...that no-one of 'retirement' age should want for warmth, food and shelter and healthcare.

These should be the very basics of life, guaranteed to every citizen [of this country].

For this service, no-one should have to worry.

Regardless of income, wealth, or lack of either.

Sadly, this country's society lacks any inbuilt respect for older people.

They are seen as an increasing nuisance, instead.

If an individual has managed to provide for old age, whooptidoo.....they will be able to indulge themselves.   But we should not have old people in fuel poverty, food poverty, or inadequate shelter in this country. We should never have old people wondering how to pay an essential, domestic bill.

Every individual should be provided with a reasonable standard of living in old age.

This should be a Right....but, in the UK, it is not......nor is there the will to guarantee it.....which says an awful lot about the society we have created, and support.

And whilst we have a moral split within society, the will to change things is non-existent.

• RMweb Gold

I've worked and paid into the system since I left school straight through to retirement. I deserve my bus pass / heating allowance, and State Pension in a couple of years, the State Pension is NOT a benefit as I (and millions of others) have paid for that over many years also. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Brit15

I know what you are saying but sadly you haven't paid into anything, because of how we had to start it you've just paid the bill at the time.

There is someone I know who when working moaned all the time about the amount of tax he paid, when bus passes & heating allowance started he must have been prescribed stronger blood pressure tablets to cope. Now he's a pensioner he thinks they should be increased.

Lets just hope there are enough tax payers left to pay for the ageing population..... :scratchhead:

.....This should be a Right....but, in the UK, it is not......nor is there the will to guarantee it.....which says an awful lot about the society we have created, and support.

And whilst we have a moral split within society, the will to change things is non-existent.

I can see where you're coming from but remember this: whenever "rights" have been created, a culture of entitlement has been fostered and, I dare say in this modern age, responsibilities have been dispensed with.

• RMweb Gold

With the number of children filling our schools to bursting I am thinking an 'aging population' not for long at this rate......

Aaaahhh yes but another reason we have oversubscribed schools is because we have less school places (here anyway)

Lets just hope there are enough tax payers left to pay for the ageing population..... :scratchhead:

That's the big problem looming ahead. There won't be enough to pay for everything.

Remember all the talk about the pensions black hole a few years ago.

Now there's silence on the issue.

Why? Has the problem gone away?

No it hasn't. The problem is so huge that it's too late to do anything about it now and therefore a problem no politician wants to talk about or touch. It's a toxic subject.

The same with the NHS. It is becoming unaffordable at an increasing rate in it's present form. If significant reform isn't carried out, by the mid to late twenties it will be impossible for it to continue as it is. Again there are politicians who will not contemplate the difficult long term decisions, preferring instead to issue populist pronouncements about their declared commitment to the service.

That's the big problem looming ahead. There won't be enough to pay for everything.

Remember all the talk about the pensions black hole a few years ago.

Now there's silence on the issue.

Why? Has the problem gone away?

No it hasn't. The problem is so huge that it's too late to do anything about it now and therefore a problem no politician wants to talk about or touch. It's a toxic subject.

The same with the NHS. It is becoming unaffordable at an increasing rate in it's present form. If significant reform isn't carried out, by the mid to late twenties it will be impossible for it to continue as it is. Again there are politicians who will not contemplate the difficult long term decisions, preferring instead to issue populist pronouncements about their declared commitment to the service.

It's the same everywhere, but you can understand why, at least to some extent. What do you think would be the chance of being elected for a politician who ran on a slogan of "Elect me and I promise you less!"? (Especially if he/she is the only candidate running on such a platform.)

Sadly the way we deal with things now makes everything more expensive

Trains, we have 3 (at least) expecting profits from your train journey, when in public ownership there was one company

Power we have the generator then the retailer, so two companies making a profit from you

Cars, parts are rarely mended just replaced

At work we have an electric door where the motor had failed after 3 to 4 days, guess what the motor is not discontinued. That means a new door as no one will fit a replacement motor

Hospitals are full of administrators and my local one is hell bent on enlargement, concreting over an allotment to build houses which are nothing to do with the hospital !!!

Public buildings are rarely maintained and all too often rebuilt at great expense

In the South East we are full up, roads are full, water resources diminishing, just plain over crowded. Any piece of land no matter how small being built on, brown field sites being turned into housing instead of providing jobs, now they want to build on green belt!!

I am benefiting by the sharp increase in house prices, but local kids have no chance of buying a property here or near by. Houses which were owned by normal working folk are being bought by those who earn far above the average wage. Social engineering sadly

Multi nationals who make billions and decide where they can pay the lowest tax despite where its earnt

But their money does pay for all the benefits the aged are receiving, thankfully they are on the radar and paying tax. If not income tax every other tax that goes with buying and saving. I for one will hold both hands out to accept their hard earned/borrowed money, move to a cheaper place and accept my state pensions. One thing that is a fact if a political party want to be in power they have to appease/buy the grey vote as they are the ones with the time and reasons to vote

As Wolfey Smith said "Power to the (old) People" . I for one will be joining the Tooting Popular Front

• RMweb Gold

The pension problem hasn't been totally neglected - I get my state pension a couple of years later than I would have done.

Probably just scratching the surface of the problem nevertheless.

I know what you are saying but sadly you haven't paid into anything, because of how we had to start it you've just paid the bill at the time.....

The country has had over 60 years to do something about it and start to build up a contribution based funded system.

More realistically the opertunity to have started such a transition was in the 1980's. There would have been 30 years of funds by now.

• RMweb Premium

The country has had over 60 years to do something about it and start to build up a contribution based funded system.

More realistically the opertunity to have started such a transition was in the 1980's. There would have been 30 years of funds by now.

This is what the Dutch and Canadians did, a lot of those funds has now been invested in privatised British public utility companies.

My personal view is...and has always been...that no-one of 'retirement' age should want for warmth, food and shelter and healthcare.

These should be the very basics of life, guaranteed to every citizen [of this country].

For this service, no-one should have to worry.

Regardless of income, wealth, or lack of either.

Every individual should be provided with a reasonable standard of living in old age.

This should be a Right....but, in the UK, it is not......nor is there the will to guarantee it.....which says an awful lot about the society we have created, and support.

On the other hand every individual at, let us say age 20, should be aware of the situation.

They then have 45 plus years to ensure that they have made suitable provision for their retirement.

Before you can have rights you need to have duties and responsibilities.

If people want to p their money up the wall why should they be entitled to a state bale out in later life?

I believe in a welfare state that is there to support those who are in genuine need and are unable to support themselves, not as a general safety net for those who can't be bothered to plan their future.

Bernard

What was that I saw on the telly recently?

"Life is like a box of chocolates, it doesn't last long if you are fat."   ;)

EDITED: to add, (in case anyone thinks I am being offensive), I weigh 18 stone myself - so it applies very much to me.

On the other hand every individual at, let us say age 20, should be aware of the situation.

And...with hindsight, we all wished we had been so aware.

But there are few 20+ year-olds who are lucky enough to be able to complete their career paths to the bitter end, to achieve this.

There are too many 20+ year olds who can even guarantee they will live long enough, or be in gainful employment long enough, to see life through to retirement. Few indeed, who even consider they have sufficient surplus cash to set aside for a future 40 years ahead......from where they are now?

[if one is in a minimum, or low pay job, where is that surplus, set-aside money to be found?]

Marriage, for example?

Does every young person looking forward to that megabucks wedding of their dreams, remain conscious of the fact that, more than half of marriages end in Divorce within 5 years?

In which case, the expensive wedding really is a complete waste of precious money [which could have gone towards a pension?]!

But, in adopting that particular attitude, will we not decimate a growing employment sector? [those who earn a living planning the debacle...sorry, wedding, of others?]

The State has a duty to care.

Not just for those in particular need, but for everybody, regardless.

For those in a position of advantage, then they can enjoy the fruits of their labours.

For those who have suffered life's setbacks, whatever they may have been, then they at least don't have to be concerned about their welfare in older age.  Even if they don't have the surplus of capital to enjoy.

• RMweb Gold

No no no, it's the Tooting People's Popular Front.

Cue a radio ad campaign for Barclays Bank in the late '70s - featuring the Goons.

[sounds of a trumpet]

"What's that noise Bluebottle?"

"I am Tooting!"

The ad strapline was "Bark with Banclays!"

For the people who would rather not pay for everybody else's pension, benefit or whatever, perhaps there should be  a system whereby they can 'opt out' of paying..for example, National Insurance? 

Or perhaps, have a different tax code?

With the proviso that, they cannot then.....should circumstances change, receive any sort of State benefit, or , State pension?

What?

Not a good idea?

Perhaps because [someone will tell me otherwise?] there aren't enough crystal balls to go around, whereby we can see into the future?

Where, no amount of financial planning  [lucky indeed are those who can plan, financially, for the future?] can account for life-changing events?

We now live in a working environment where 'job security' no longer exists.

We are encouraged to buy our own property......as an example. [quite why, I have yet to fathom??]

Yet, the continued payment of the mortgage cannot truthfully be guaranteed.

Because incomes cannot any longer be guaranteed.

No matter who you all voted for , the next property crash, or banking crisis, or trade crisis, is just around the corner.

Despite recent efforts to back peddle frantically, we all live in a  house of cards.

We are encouraged to buy our own property......as an example. [quite why, I have yet to fathom??]

Maybe so the state won't have to pay your rent when you retire.

My retired friends who live in rented accommodation all live rent free on housing benefit, those who own their homes get nothing.

Maybe so the state won't have to pay your rent when you retire.

My retired friends who live in rented accommodation all live rent free on housing benefit, those who own their homes get nothing.

Although, those who own their own homes are sitting on a nice big slice of equity, which they could release via various financial methods if they so wish.

• RMweb Gold

If I was young today, I would seriously be considering whether I wanted to work and live in this country, now that so many of the advantages older generations took for granted have been taken away or have withered on the vine. Think free tertiary education, final salary pensions, affordable housing (buying or renting), transport costs, job security. Why would young folk hang around to pay others pensions, but have to work to 68 themselves? (47 years after getting a degree or 52 if leaving school at the earliest opportunity). A score of younger people where I work have emigrated in the last 5-10 years, most of them with reasonable jobs and skills that are in better demand elsewhere.

Archived